Future.zip (Futuristic City) ninja sample example code - some1 wanna compile?

General Dreamcast discussion applies here. Before posting here please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section to see if your topic would fit better in those categories.

Moderators: pcwzrd13, mazonemayu

Forum rules
Please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section before posting here to see if your topic would fit better in those categories. Example: A new game/homebrew release would go in the New Releases/Homebrew/Emulation section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=5 or if you're having an issue with getting your Dreamcast to work or a game to boot it would go in the Support section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=42
SMiTH
Black Mesa

Future.zip (Futuristic City) ninja sample example code - some1 wanna compile?

Post#1 » Tue Mar 30, 2021 10:58 pm

this was a tech demo that i believe was on one of the katana sdk's?
it was uploaded to assembler games.
maybe some1 can compile it and build a cdi?

Code: Select all

Futuristic City
Ninja Sample Example Code
SET 4 VERSION - Alpha

Introduction

This example code is provided to demonstrate the use of Ninja graphics library in a game environment as opposed to just displaying one aspect of the hardware in isolation. It is not intended as a releasable product (obviously) or as an example of how to design good games – just as a technical example. The sample code was developed by one programmer and one artist in Sega Europe Technical Support department in a relatively short period of time – and we hope this will show what an easy but flexible development platform Ninja is. In the production of this example code we hope we have gained experience about the types of difficulties and decisions that you as a game developer must also go through.

This particular example demonstrates the implementation of a flying/shooting type game. It features use of many graphics features, sound, collision detection, particle systems and simple physics and game logic.

The source code was developed under PC card emulation (Set2) and also SH4 prototype development system (Set4). This does not therefore take use of any SET5 specific hardware features, nor is it designed to run at full specification polygon count.

Developed using Hitachi C compiler, and Shinobi library.

Exe          Generated executable
             ELF format files go
             here.
Gd_root      Copy these files to
             the root of the
             GD Workshop
             project so that
             this application
             can access them
             at run-time.
Pvrmodel     3-D .NJA model format
             files.
Test.env     Codescape uses an
             environment file such
             as this one to execute
             a Build command from
             within Codescape.
Sbinit.c     Sets up the Ninja
             environment for memory
             management.  You
             should not need to
             modify this file.
Attachments
future.zip
(4.06 MiB) Downloaded 1900 times

willis
letterbomb

Re: Future.zip (Futuristic City) ninja sample example code - some1 wanna compile?

Post#2 » Wed Mar 31, 2021 12:08 am

Thanks SMiTH, I hope someone runs with this and gets it going. Thanks for sharing

mrneo240
Rank 9

Re: Future.zip (Futuristic City) ninja sample example code - some1 wanna compile?

Post#3 » Wed Mar 31, 2021 1:25 am

It's written for set4.
Needs port to dreamcast.

Here's where I got in the port: https://vimeo.com/332273017

cloofoofoo
Dreamcast Swirl

Post#4 » Wed Mar 31, 2021 4:25 am

SMiTH wrote:this was a tech demo that i believe was on one of the katana sdk's?
it was uploaded to assembler games.
maybe some1 can compile it and build a cdi?

Futuristic City
Ninja Sample Example Code
SET 4 VERSION - Alpha

Introduction

This example code is provided to demonstrate the use of Ninja graphics library in a game environment as opposed to just displaying one aspect of the hardware in isolation. It is not intended as a releasable product (obviously) or as an example of how to design good games – just as a technical example. The sample code was developed by one programmer and one artist in Sega Europe Technical Support department in a relatively short period of time – and we hope this will show what an easy but flexible development platform Ninja is. In the production of this example code we hope we have gained experience about the types of difficulties and decisions that you as a game developer must also go through.

This particular example demonstrates the implementation of a flying/shooting type game. It features use of many graphics features, sound, collision detection, particle systems and simple physics and game logic.

The source code was developed under PC card emulation (Set2) and also SH4 prototype development system (Set4). This does not therefore take use of any SET5 specific hardware features, nor is it designed to run at full specification polygon count.

Developed using Hitachi C compiler, and Shinobi library.

Exe          Generated executable
             ELF format files go
             here.
Gd_root      Copy these files to
             the root of the
             GD Workshop
             project so that
             this application
             can access them
             at run-time.
Pvrmodel     3-D .NJA model format
             files.
Test.env     Codescape uses an
             environment file such
             as this one to execute
             a Build command from
             within Codescape.
Sbinit.c     Sets up the Ninja
             environment for memory
             management.  You
             should not need to
             modify this file.

I remember mrneo gave this a shot. From what I understand it didn't boot on a real Dreamcast

dark
Shark Patrol

Post#5 » Wed Mar 31, 2021 10:10 am

Looks cool. Any lessons that can be applied from porting the Tower of Babbel demo to a standard DC?

mrneo240
Rank 9

Post#6 » Wed Mar 31, 2021 1:35 pm

future_EXE.7z
(539.17 KiB) Downloaded 295 times

heres what i found, dated

‎Wednesday, ‎April ‎24, ‎2019, ‏‎1:30:25 PM

SMiTH
Black Mesa

Post#7 » Wed Mar 31, 2021 5:15 pm

Mrneo, I will check out the 1st_read.
Thank you.

Why are there 1603 downloads on the attachment?
When I add an attachment, I always check to make sure all of the files are in the archive.
So typically I check it 3 to 4 times.
1603? in one day? hmmm..

mrneo240
Rank 9

Post#8 » Wed Mar 31, 2021 5:57 pm

Says 6 on my side

SMiTH
Black Mesa

Post#9 » Wed Mar 31, 2021 6:08 pm

look at the first post.
does the attachment show 1603 downloads?
it does on my side.
weird.

dubcity
Super Sonic

Post#10 » Wed Mar 31, 2021 6:43 pm

Shows 1604 on my screen