DC controller redesigns

General Dreamcast discussion applies here. Before posting here please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section to see if your topic would fit better in those categories.

Moderators: pcwzrd13, mazonemayu

Forum rules
Please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section before posting here to see if your topic would fit better in those categories. Example: A new game/homebrew release would go in the New Releases/Homebrew/Emulation section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=5 or if you're having an issue with getting your Dreamcast to work or a game to boot it would go in the Support section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=42
Ian Micheal
Developer

Re: DC controller redesigns

Post#11 » Tue Mar 30, 2021 8:59 pm

above version gives you vmu beard and spoils the convert-able nature of the vmu when it's in the og controller as you can tell it's a remove-able thing and it hides the buttons and such the above does not sticks out the top and is off balance ..

Same with the dc striker thing with the ugly vmu beard

dark
Shark Patrol

Post#12 » Wed Mar 31, 2021 10:53 am

Here is my revised dreamcast controller design :D

azoo
rebel

Post#13 » Thu Apr 01, 2021 4:07 pm

Ian Micheal wrote:above version gives you vmu beard and spoils the convert-able nature of the vmu when it's in the og controller as you can tell it's a remove-able thing and it hides the buttons and such the above does not sticks out the top and is off balance ..

Same with the dc striker thing with the ugly vmu beard

IDK, it's not that bad to me! It looks a bit strange sticking out of the top like that, but I also find it kind of cool; it looks a little more robotic with it's piece exposed like that. That said, I still prefer my original designs if you gave me the choice between the two.

On another note, it's time for some alternate history: what if Sega and Microsoft didn't split up and kept being a collaborative force? Sure, they kinda in their own hubris threw away their partnerships, but what if they didn't? Well, here's my thoughts on that..

At E3 2000, Sega announces the Dreamcast Xpansion Unit, courtesy of their partners at Microsoft. Built in with a hard-drive, a Broadband adapter and extra processing power through a DirectX-based chip that supports higher polygon count (a "high-performance" mode) and proto-HD resolution gaming (up to 720p); it is a $100 add-on that comes in a translucent, retro-futuristic shell. While Sega themselves has had a bad history of selling add-on peripherals to their machine, it is made clear that this addition is not necessary to experience Dreamcast, but rather just to expand what you can do with it if you're willing to pay extra. It is announced alongside Phantasy Star Online, the first game to utilize it's features by allowing the game to be updated over time (removing the need for purchasing new update discs, such as PSO Version 2). The Xpansion also added an updated menu that allowed customization in wallpapers and bootscreens, as well as a new icon used to access a new hub for SegaNet, making it easier to set up lobbies for games, or download demos of upcoming releases.

Of course, this is not the end; as at E3 2001 they arrive with a whole new announcement:

Introducing Dreamcast X and Dreamcast S.

Dreamcast X is a new, larger model DC. It has all the features of the Xpansion Unit built in but now with an 8GB hard drive, marketed with a new logo and color scheme (centering on a lime green instead of the orange-red) to push forward an aggressive marketing campaign aimed at older, more western audiences; an initiative pushed forward by Microsoft as they read the tides of where their audiences were looking in the coming years. The machine itself was released with a launch title, Halo: Combat Evolved, a title Microsoft acquired for Sega by purchasing Bungie the previous year. It was sold for $299.99, coming in deep navy (shown) or sold white.

Also announced, possibly a year or two later (let's say E3 2003) is Dreamcast S. A much smaller model of the DC, meant to enhance portability and market itself as the cuter alternative, meant to appeal to more feminine or younger audiences. It comes in four colors, all resembling the slightly-pastel face buttons, and a light blue logo (orange in Europe). It features a built-in Broadband adapter and a 1GB hard drive as well as the new menus, but with no modular pieces like the original console, and without the X's ability to display at higher performance or resolutions. It was sold for $149.99 at launch, possibly alongside Billy Hatcher or a Sonic game.

The original model (now known as the O for Original, as well as it's circular logo) was, during the X's release, reduced in price to be sold for $149.99, often sold for $250 in a bundle deal with the Xpansion Unit; and down to $99 at the release of the S. Early adopters of Dreamcast and hardcore Sega fans found themselves sticking to the original model + the Xpansion Unit, American audiences were more into the idea of greater hard drive space or the more "mature" presentation went for the Dreamcast X, and the Dreamcast S sold well in Japan and amongst children due to it's colorful cute design and simplistic, no-frills approach.

Sega's partnership with Microsoft proves a success, as Microsoft helps keep Sega's name relevant in the 2000s with a combination of their business decisions and endless supply of money to cover their losses, and Sega helps Microsoft's name and status (outside of Windows) reach to international waters, particularly in the Japanese market. Halo becomes a classic Sega IP which alongside other titles like Fable are contributed to a bigger, better Sega of America now supported and funded by Microsoft, while Sega of Japan doesn't struggle so hard hemorrhaging money and thus doesn't feel the need to drop out of the race, fizzle out their IPs one by one, or milk Sonic til he's dead.

While still failing to keep up with Sony's Playstation 2 as it continues to shellshock the entire 6th generation of consoles, Sega together with Microsoft finally have a chance to strike back.. with the Sega 360.

Or at least, that's how it could've gone down. Haha. A lot of it is idealistic, and very much to think of it as if Sega or Microsoft wouldn't get too cocky and mess something up between each other (kinda like they did irl), but hey. I can dream. And what better console to do it for, you know?

azoo
rebel

Post#14 » Thu Apr 01, 2021 4:25 pm

Actually, in hindsight, I feel like this might be a bit too convoluted. I designed all of this about two or so years ago, but I think nowadays I can think up a way they could've continued Dreamcast but with way less variations. That said, a confusing amount of types of DC consoles sounds pretty "Sega", but I can do better, haha. What do you guys think?

celsowm
shadow

Post#15 » Thu Apr 01, 2021 5:39 pm

I like my retro Fighters dreamcast controller

dark
Shark Patrol

Post#16 » Thu Apr 01, 2021 5:44 pm

azoo wrote:Actually, in hindsight, I feel like this might be a bit too convoluted. I designed all of this about two or so years ago, but I think nowadays I can think up a way they could've continued Dreamcast but with way less variations. That said, a confusing amount of types of DC consoles sounds pretty "Sega", but I can do better, haha. What do you guys think?

I think it's already been done

azoo
rebel

Post#17 » Thu Apr 01, 2021 5:57 pm

That image is one of the main things that fueled me to draw this stuff, lol. That and just all the research on Microsoft and Sega's relationship, especially around the end of DC / beginning of Xbox. But I also don't imagine it would've been as easy as just renaming the console and who owned it.

azoo
rebel

Post#18 » Sat Apr 03, 2021 6:20 pm

This next one is a concept I designed about a year or so ago: the Sega Daydream (or alternatively, Sega Lucid).

Basically it's if Sega around 2000-2001 entered back into the handheld market to combat the GameBoy Advance. It'd be relatively Genesis/32X-esque in power (to match the SNES-esque power of the GBA) and runs on a format of "mini-VMU" cartridges. It also accepts full-sized VMUs into the Daydream to play upscaled VMU games, or even play mini games downloaded from the internet on Dreamcast console. Other functions include an internal clock and a cable that allows you to plug it into a DC controller port to use as a controller.

I imagine even the best efforts from Sega at trying to reenter the handheld market would've possibly failed, though, but I can't lie and say that I wouldn't want a little gadget like this. I also imagine Sega would've made a "DreamPlayer" of sorts to combat the Gamecube's Game Boy Player (think of them adding an extension to the mini-VMU of choice so you could put it in the controller, and a disc with an official emulator used to read/play the content), so people who wanted to play Daydream didn't have to buy the console, haha.

dark
Shark Patrol

Post#19 » Sun Apr 04, 2021 10:49 pm

Here is a handheld concept that I drew 20 years ago

azoo
rebel

Post#20 » Mon Apr 05, 2021 8:13 pm

If you had a choice, which one? 6 face buttons or 4 face / 2 shoulder? I’m finding myself unable to decide..

(Original image from Retro-Bit’s 6 button controller artwork.)