DC controller redesigns

General Dreamcast discussion applies here. Before posting here please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section to see if your topic would fit better in those categories.

Moderators: pcwzrd13, mazonemayu

Forum rules
Please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section before posting here to see if your topic would fit better in those categories. Example: A new game/homebrew release would go in the New Releases/Homebrew/Emulation section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=5 or if you're having an issue with getting your Dreamcast to work or a game to boot it would go in the Support section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=42
fafadou
Gold Lion

Re: DC controller redesigns

Post#21 » Tue Apr 06, 2021 5:00 am

@Anthony :
Do you have any new about retrobit dreamcast controller ?

Anthony817
Shark Patrol

Post#22 » Tue Apr 06, 2021 5:19 am

Unfortunately no. They last told me over the past summer that they were way behind on the Dreamcast controller project because the manufacturing warehouse was understaffed and I think they said that the designs also have to go through strenuous certification processes since they are licensed controllers. So Sega wants to make damn sure they are up to their standards. So the pandemic has really set this project back way more than it already was to begin with.

Tarnish
Prince of Persia

Post#23 » Tue Apr 06, 2021 7:03 am

Anthony817 wrote: and I think they said that the designs also have to go through strenuous certification processes since they are licensed controllers. So Sega wants to make damn sure they are up to their standards.

So SEGA suddenly decided they have standards now? Where was that concept when they released those crappy Mega Drive AtGames consoles?

Better late than never I guess, tho might have been wiser to do so before people got the feeling they were willling to make a quick buck on their legacy, quality be damned.

McGaffryson
undertow

Post#24 » Tue Apr 06, 2021 10:33 am

Tarnish wrote:
Anthony817 wrote: and I think they said that the designs also have to go through strenuous certification processes since they are licensed controllers. So Sega wants to make damn sure they are up to their standards.

So SEGA suddenly decided they have standards now? Where was that concept when they released those crappy Mega Drive AtGames consoles?

Better late than never I guess, tho might have been wiser to do so before people got the feeling they were willling to make a quick buck on their legacy, quality be damned.

I think that's the thing that made them develop standards when it came to licensed hardware. I mean, AtGames had a pretty good resume with licensed Atari consoles (i still have my Flashback 2 from 12 years ago, and still play it from time to time). I don't think anyone would've predicted the failure that was the AtGames Genesis. With the sudden resurgence of popularity in the Dreamcast (thanks in part to all the new leaks and games coming out for it in 2020) I really think they don't want to screw up with this.

Anthony817
Shark Patrol

Post#25 » Tue Apr 06, 2021 1:44 pm

Tarnish wrote:

Didn't you get the memo? They have terminated their contract with AtGames over fan backlash. That recent Genesis/Mega Drive Mini they released was not done by AtGames.

Nico0020
Sunday Shootout

Post#26 » Wed Apr 07, 2021 2:58 pm

Anthony817 wrote:Unfortunately no. They last told me over the past summer that they were way behind on the Dreamcast controller project because the manufacturing warehouse was understaffed and I think they said that the designs also have to go through strenuous certification processes since they are licensed controllers. So Sega wants to make damn sure they are up to their standards. So the pandemic has really set this project back way more than it already was to begin with.
Honestly, besides just the pandemic I have been thinking they hit a wall on the wireless model. The last info we saw only had information about a wired controller. The VMU won't play nicely in a wireless setting and I'm guessing reteobit hasn't found a solution to that.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

Anthony817
Shark Patrol

Post#27 » Wed Apr 07, 2021 3:37 pm

All they have to do is make it have a built in screen and VMU with banks. Sure that will not be good for people who were wanting to have the controller ports for compatibility with additional VMU's, or the mic accessory but it would simplify things. I mean the DreamCon does it wirelessly already.

Or, do what Brook has done and build the damn memory card into the dongle portion. Have a screen on the controller to transmit the graphical data, but have the saves onboard the dongle so it is as compact as can be don;t have a port for VMU unlike those old Total Control Plus adapters did.

But I am not sure even if that is the problem. They have not even gotten the dual analog wireless controllers out for the Genesis/Mega Drive and Saturn yet. So they are behind on not only the DC controller but those as well. They also have a ton of other products they deal with too. So I am sure the pandemic didn't help things.

azoo
rebel

Post#28 » Thu Apr 08, 2021 3:02 am

I have the means and skills to make my own mold, and people to 3D print some test runs, but know basically no one with knowledge on making circuit boards. If I knew someone and took the time out to work on this I could probably make prototypes.

Man, I just really want a DC controller with a right stick. haha

NeORomani
lithium

Post#29 » Thu Apr 08, 2021 5:48 am

I'm also waiting for the Wireless controller to play. I have those cable extenders from aliexpress to play from the couch, but still not perfect sensation.

Nico0020
Sunday Shootout

Post#30 » Thu Apr 08, 2021 2:15 pm

Anthony817 wrote:All they have to do is make it have a built in screen and VMU with banks. Sure that will not be good for people who were wanting to have the controller ports for compatibility with additional VMU's, or the mic accessory but it would simplify things. I mean the DreamCon does it wirelessly already.

Or, do what Brook has done and build the damn memory card into the dongle portion. Have a screen on the controller to transmit the graphical data, but have the saves onboard the dongle so it is as compact as can be don;t have a port for VMU unlike those old Total Control Plus adapters did.

That's why I think retrobit hit a bit of a wall. Since these are oficially licenced by Sega, I think the idea was having controllers that look and work just as the originals did. Doing something like a built in screen with mem card banks / putting the card in the dongle was out of the scope of the original project. I really hope I am proved wrong, as I absolutely love the new pad design they have.