Yo! First post on here.
I’ve made quite a bit of mockups of Dreamcast controllers with a right analog stick in my time, and would like to share the most recent version of it with you guys. I apologize for the second image’s quality, btw, it’s a rough sketch I did on an iPad while the one preceding it is a proper ‘shop.
- added right analog stick
- lifted the top parts of the sides to soften the edge
- made the bottom curve pulled in a little to balance that out
- bottoms of the handles softened a little bit
- made the back of the controller closer to the Saturn 3D pad, shallower triggers
- added shoulder buttons on the grooves added by replicating the 3D pad back
- cord from the top of the vmu slot rather than the bottom of the controller
I’ve been wondering if I’d call these shoulder buttons LB & RB or Z & C. I think the latter is cuter and fits better with making the transition from Saturn to this machine smoother, but I can imagine the former is more practical. But I digress.
I plan on refining this a little further, but after a few years worth of shaping this up I’m pretty satisfied with how this looks. I also have a six face button variant here of the design above, if the shoulder button design doesn’t suit your fancy:
I have a lot more than this, particularly of hypothetical designs for future revisions to DC, if their partnership with Microsoft continued strong, and also designs if they reentered the handheld market, but I’ll post those images when I’m able to get back to my laptop.
I’m just really, REALLY interested in seeing a potential best version of the DC controller and would love to design a turnaround for someone to build a mold out of. I’ve always been in love with the DC controller’s y2k influenced look and “spacecraft”-like shape, but wish it had more functionality. So here’s to that!
Hope you guys like this stuff. Also glad to be on here. 8)