Which way are you playing games on Dreamcast?

General Dreamcast discussion applies here. Before posting here please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section to see if your topic would fit better in those categories.

Moderators: pcwzrd13, mazonemayu

Forum rules
Please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section before posting here to see if your topic would fit better in those categories. Example: A new game/homebrew release would go in the New Releases/Homebrew/Emulation section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=5 or if you're having an issue with getting your Dreamcast to work or a game to boot it would go in the Support section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=42

Poll: Which way do you play games on your Dreamcast?

Optical Discs (GD-R/CD-R)
43%
Optical Disc Emulators (GDemu/USB GD-Rom/M.O.D.E.)
51%
Dreamshell (HDD/Serial Port)
7%
Total votes: 120

megavolt85
Developer

Re: Which way are you playing games on Dreamcast?

Post#61 » Sat Jan 15, 2022 1:25 pm

polarcomposer wrote:Always disk :D

only licensed GD discs?

MondoGecko
minority

Post#62 » Sun May 22, 2022 12:41 am

I'm honestly surprised that so many people are still sticking with discs when ODEs are readily available and a lot more convenient, in my opinion. Nothing against discs or those still using them, but the less I have to hear the Dreamcast's GD-rom drive seeking, the better lol

dubcity
Super Sonic

Post#63 » Sun May 22, 2022 12:37 pm

MondoGecko wrote:I'm honestly surprised that so many people are still sticking with discs when ODEs are readily available and a lot more convenient, in my opinion. Nothing against discs or those still using them, but the less I have to hear the Dreamcast's GD-rom drive seeking, the better lol

There are those that want to use the console as originally intended no matter what. The older the system gets the more wear and tear on the gd-rom drive. So I suppose the move to ode's will happen over time as the gd-rom drives die and disappear. Although a lot of DC users own more than one DC. So those that do have backup drives. I took my drive out and have it bagged up. I'll hold onto it and sell it for a 100+ down the road.

Gogalon
shadow

Post#64 » Thu May 26, 2022 12:45 am

I've got one of those Flat Screens that were part of the transitionary period of televisions, so it has not only two HDMI Outputs, but also a whole set up of Composite Outputs. If I had Component Cables for the DC, I'm sure the picture would look better. I play on the discs, since I'm not really smart enough to work on a GDMU. Would love to try it though.

Snake79
lithium

Post#65 » Thu Jan 05, 2023 10:47 am

+1 for ODE.

I was strictly disc only until last year when my second GD-ROM drive was having read issues. I could have bought a used Dreamcast and swapped the drive over as I had done before but there is no telling how long it would last. As time goes by, finding good, working GD-ROM drives becomes harder and harder; the disadvantages of using a proprietary format I guess.

Original GDEMUs are hard to find and I didn't want a clone so I did some research and found MODE was my best option. It wasn't cheap, but I was looking at something long term that's user friendly and it ticked all the boxes.

Overall I'm happy that I went with an ODE, it has definately made the Dreamcast better to use, and yes, no more grating disc seek noise anymore!

mistamontiel
Shark Patrol

Post#66 » Thu Jan 05, 2023 4:04 pm

Could I cast another for ODD lol n one for ODE

Primary spins secondary spins and the next secondary's MODE equipped

Lake
shadow

Post#67 » Sun Aug 27, 2023 10:36 am

For Dreamcast I acquired my first and only ODE. (Other disc-based systems are covered by MiSTer or have hard drive support.) Even beyond game prices having skyrocketed, it's just a straight QoL upgrade between removal of loud GD-ROM sounds and no need to manipulate physical discs.

Ryo_Hazuki
killer

Post#68 » Sun Aug 27, 2023 12:55 pm

Disk here, my tv is flat LCD Full HD with VGA input, the Dreamcast image is very good on tv at 480p.

Stu1872
undertow

Post#69 » Tue Sep 12, 2023 6:24 am

I use a clone version of the GDEMU with a 256gb SanDisk microsd card.

My library are all GDI files apart from the indie games and Atomiswave games I have on it.

I have been mostly playing on my TV with a Bitfunx hdmi cable adapter but I have recently purchased a DC to VGA box and have that hooked up to a 20" Dell Ultrasharp monitor (2007fpb) with the accompanied speaker on the bottom. The picture quality through VGA blew my mind!

Sent from my SM-S916B using Tapatalk

SolidSonicTH
dark night

Post#70 » Tue Sep 12, 2023 9:13 am

ODEs for new games but I still have DCs that I left alone with their original disc drives as well.