Which way are you playing games on Dreamcast?

General Dreamcast discussion applies here. Before posting here please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section to see if your topic would fit better in those categories.

Moderators: pcwzrd13, mazonemayu

Forum rules
Please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section before posting here to see if your topic would fit better in those categories. Example: A new game/homebrew release would go in the New Releases/Homebrew/Emulation section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=5 or if you're having an issue with getting your Dreamcast to work or a game to boot it would go in the Support section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=42

Poll: Which way do you play games on your Dreamcast?

Optical Discs (GD-R/CD-R)
43%
Optical Disc Emulators (GDemu/USB GD-Rom/M.O.D.E.)
51%
Dreamshell (HDD/Serial Port)
7%
Total votes: 120

dubcity
Super Sonic

Which way are you playing games on Dreamcast?

Post#1 » Tue Feb 23, 2021 8:30 am

I'm curious how many people are playing discs vs using ode's vs dreamshell.hdd. I think that this information will be important for the indie and homebrew devs that create games for Dreamcast to know who their customers/audience is.

Myself personally I have dreamcast with clone gdemu that I game on exclusively. I also have a stock dreamcast with gd-rom as a backup.

Take the poll and let everyone know which way you use your Dreamcast.
Last edited by dubcity on Sun Nov 07, 2021 6:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DCGX
Vagabond

Re: Which way are you playing games on Dreamcast?

Post#2 » Tue Feb 23, 2021 10:34 am

I'm old school, and use discs with my DC's original GD-Rom drive.

I think it still behooves devs to release disc versions of Dreamcast games, because that's way more collectible than just digital versions. That said, I think it's smart to have a digital version for sale too. Whatever helps support the DC devs.

dubcity
Super Sonic

Post#3 » Tue Feb 23, 2021 11:10 am

I agree.

My hope is that we get enough participation that devs will get enough information to serve customers better.

mistamontiel
Shark Patrol

Post#4 » Tue Feb 23, 2021 11:22 am

If I ever had one of mine stop read I would MODE obviously but always going to keep on a genuine one xP

beanboy
Wazza

Post#5 » Tue Feb 23, 2021 1:27 pm

I play using original dreamcast game discs, on original dreamcast hardware.

But games that I don't have yet, I play using an emulator.
Last edited by beanboy on Thu Mar 11, 2021 12:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anthony817
Shark Patrol

Post#6 » Tue Feb 23, 2021 1:42 pm

GDEMU all the way since 2018. Took me that long to get my hands on them after releasing 4 years earlier in 2014. So grateful for the clones being so widely available.

dark
Shark Patrol

Post#7 » Tue Feb 23, 2021 2:34 pm

I'm a disc guy. Since I acquired the bulk of my games before ODEs were even a thing for DC, there's a certain momentum there that keeps me using them. Luckily I haven't had any serious issues with my gdrom drive.

Its also neat to use the same discs I was playing back in 2000. Just feels more personal and meaningful (as long as the discs and hardware remain in working condition) ;)

dubcity
Super Sonic

Post#8 » Tue Feb 23, 2021 2:47 pm

dark wrote:I'm a disc guy. Since I acquired the bulk of my games before ODEs were even a thing for DC, there's a certain momentum there that keeps me using them. Luckily I haven't had any serious issues with my gdrom drive.

Its also neat to use the same discs I was playing back in 2000. Just feels more personal and meaningful (as long as the discs and hardware remain in working condition) ;)

thats pretty cool. I still have the games I bought with my launch dreamcast 20+ years ago. I also have a second dc in the closet with a disc drive in it. although I just exclusively use my dc with gdemu in it.

I imagine there will be more disc users than ode or hard drive users when we look at the poll a month or two from now. For the last 20 years everything released for dc has been on disc so that should be the obvious majority. But I think it will still be helpful to get an account of how many people use the other methods. I also hope that devs will see the poll and realize that their audience isn't just disc users tho.

mrneo240
Rank 9

Post#9 » Tue Feb 23, 2021 3:35 pm

every indie release should release on cd with additional gdi for those with ODE

WedgeStratos
blackout!

Post#10 » Tue Feb 23, 2021 3:59 pm

I was a stubborn CD/GD user until I could muster up for a clone GDemu, and it was three months of gaming bliss.
Then I accidentally killed two Dreamcasts with it. Watch out with those clones! I opted to pack up my Dreamcast collection, but I have purchased the real deal GDemu from Deunan. It was a hell of a cost,.but I cannot wait to get back into that convenient life.