F355 and steering wheel.

General Dreamcast discussion applies here. Before posting here please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section to see if your topic would fit better in those categories.

Moderators: pcwzrd13, mazonemayu

Forum rules
Please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section before posting here to see if your topic would fit better in those categories. Example: A new game/homebrew release would go in the New Releases/Homebrew/Emulation section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=5 or if you're having an issue with getting your Dreamcast to work or a game to boot it would go in the Support section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=42
Cass
MegaDeath

F355 and steering wheel.

Post#1 » Tue Feb 09, 2021 1:03 pm

This lad is living the dream. Great second lap.

I love F355 but have never played with a steering wheel. Anybody got a testimonial, is it worth the investment?

Alex_DC
dark night

Re: F355 and steering wheel.

Post#2 » Thu Feb 18, 2021 4:49 pm

I don’t know if any of the emulators allow you to use a decent PC wheel, the Dreamcast ones are all pretty bad in stock form (without deadzone mod). He’s certainly not using any of the wheels available for Dreamcast, so I guess it’s possible.

Cass
MegaDeath

Post#3 » Fri Feb 19, 2021 8:40 am

Thanks Alex_DC.

He's using the WingmanSD converter for Dreamcast. The way the in car wheel on F355 matches his movements using the wheel are really pretty close. Looks an absolute blast to play with that set up.

A good wheel like the one he's using the t500rs and a wingman is a considerable investment but it does look amazing with F355.

Sakuragi
rebel

Post#4 » Fri Feb 19, 2021 9:22 am

In this video the wheel is not recognized like a wheel but like a joypad, I don't know why he put a huge deadzone, you can see that the car is not moving when he moves a bit the wheel. Would be great if someone can modify the games to remove the annoying dead zone with the dreamcast steering wheels.

Vgesoterica
Rank 9

Post#5 » Fri Feb 19, 2021 10:00 am

Sakuragi wrote:In this video the wheel is not recognized like a wheel but like a joypad, I don't know why he put a huge deadzone, you can see that the car is not moving when he moves a bit the wheel. Would be great if someone can modify the games to remove the annoying dead zone with the dreamcast steering wheels.

The dead zone is a pain on Dreamcast. Feels like driving a JEEP in real life lol

Alex_DC
dark night

Post#6 » Fri Feb 19, 2021 12:17 pm

Cass wrote:Thanks Alex_DC.

He's using the WingmanSD converter for Dreamcast. The way the in car wheel on F355 matches his movements using the wheel are really pretty close. Looks an absolute blast to play with that set up.

A good wheel like the one he's using the t500rs and a wingman is a considerable investment but it does look amazing with F355.

Intersting as I have a Wingman (bought for arcade stick use) and have wondered about wheel support. Some games (like f355) have wheel configuration options to set the limits etc but if a wheel is only recognised as a controller I have doubts how much configuration is possible. I suppose it's going to depend on the game and case-by-case basis. Probably not an option unless you're wealthy or already have a wheel for your PC and time/inclination to fiddle about.

Maybe as the Maple BUS is more understood the possibility for adapters or hacking in peripheral support becomes more likely, but it's probably not really worth anyone's time. Personally, I'd love mouse support for light gun games, I wonder if that's somehow doable with the Wingman?

megavolt85
Developer

Post#7 » Fri Feb 19, 2021 12:29 pm

Alex_DC wrote:Personally, I'd love mouse support for light gun games, I wonder if that's somehow doable with the Wingman?

wondering how to play without the cursor on the screen?

Sakuragi
rebel

Post#8 » Fri Feb 19, 2021 12:46 pm

Vgesoterica wrote:
Sakuragi wrote:In this video the wheel is not recognized like a wheel but like a joypad, I don't know why he put a huge deadzone, you can see that the car is not moving when he moves a bit the wheel. Would be great if someone can modify the games to remove the annoying dead zone with the dreamcast steering wheels.

The dead zone is a pain on Dreamcast. Feels like driving a JEEP in real life lol

yes it's a shame with all the good racing games on this console, what was Sega thinking when doing this ? The Deadzone was set by default in the dev kit ? I think that if maximum turn on the left is 0 and maximum on the right is 100 that the the deadzone is between 40 to 60 (50 is the neutral position of the wheel).

Treamcaster
fire

Post#9 » Fri Feb 19, 2021 12:59 pm

Someone created a microcontroller circuit that fixes the official Dreamcast Race Controller's dead zone, check it out:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TK_JNReFxIg

Sakuragi
rebel

Post#10 » Fri Feb 19, 2021 1:05 pm

@treamcast
Thank you, I already saw this and sadly he doesn't want to produce some to sell. I don't have a programmer and don't want to buy one just to fix my wheel. Maybe soon I will try another solution on my Dreamcast wheel.