F355 and steering wheel.

General Dreamcast discussion applies here. Before posting here please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section to see if your topic would fit better in those categories.

Moderators: pcwzrd13, mazonemayu

Forum rules
Please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section before posting here to see if your topic would fit better in those categories. Example: A new game/homebrew release would go in the New Releases/Homebrew/Emulation section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=5 or if you're having an issue with getting your Dreamcast to work or a game to boot it would go in the Support section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=42
Cass
MegaDeath

Re: F355 and steering wheel.

Post#11 » Fri Feb 19, 2021 2:59 pm

Treamcaster wrote:Someone created a microcontroller circuit that fixes the official Dreamcast Race Controller's dead zone, check it out:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TK_JNReFxIg

That's really interesting. Love the way he was able to turn the mod on and off.

megavolt85
Developer

Post#12 » Fri Feb 19, 2021 3:04 pm

something tells me that there is no dead zone at the helm, the dead zone is set in the code of the game itself

Sakuragi
rebel

Post#13 » Fri Feb 19, 2021 3:19 pm

I think it set near all the same in all the games, I have tested many games and I have to turn my wheel at the same angle before it starts to turn in the game. But if you modify the game you have to remove the dead zone and to change how the game reacts to the new values that were ignored before by default.

Cass
MegaDeath

Post#14 » Fri Feb 19, 2021 3:22 pm

We're well and truly down the rabbit hole now, it's a mine field of configuration, hacked hardware, expensive periferals and code. My sincere apologies for starting this thread :p

Alex_DC
dark night

Post#15 » Fri Feb 19, 2021 3:29 pm

megavolt85 wrote:
Alex_DC wrote:Personally, I'd love mouse support for light gun games, I wonder if that's somehow doable with the Wingman?

wondering how to play without the cursor on the screen?

I was more thinking of the mouse replacing the analogue stick on the controller, rather than the lightgun - as far as I remember the cursor stays on screen when using a pad. My post didn't say that though! But there is more chance the Wingman could use a mouse in place of analogue stick for those few games, if they built that into the firmware. Of course I'm sure there is more to it than that...

Sakuragi
rebel

Post#16 » Fri Feb 19, 2021 3:42 pm

Cass wrote:We're well and truly down the rabbit hole now, it's a mine field of configuration, hacked hardware, expensive periferals and code. My sincere apologies for starting this thread :p

Don't worry it is interesting and I was wondering about a solution lately. I took back my Ferrari Wheel after 15 years and I was disappointed when I connected it again to my Dreamcast for some Daytona Usa because of the dead zone.

megavolt85
Developer

Post#17 » Fri Feb 19, 2021 4:17 pm

Alex_DC wrote:I was more thinking of the mouse replacing the analogue stick on the controller, rather than the lightgun

this is a very easy task even for STM32C8T6

Impacto
dark night

Post#18 » Fri Feb 19, 2021 5:31 pm

megavolt85 wrote:something tells me that there is no dead zone at the helm, the dead zone is set in the code of the game itself

Have anyone tried eliminate the dead zone via codebreaker or hex edit?

megavolt85
Developer

Post#19 » Fri Feb 19, 2021 5:51 pm

Impacto wrote:Have anyone tried eliminate the dead zone via codebreaker or hex edit?

while this is just my guess based on the fact that Tokio High way challenge has no dead zone
but I'm 99% sure that my assumption is correct, otherwise it is impossible to explain the lack of a dead zone in THWC
I need to finish all my current projects after which I can disassemble one game to check my assumptions

Sakuragi
rebel

Post#20 » Fri Feb 19, 2021 6:42 pm

Tokyo 1 has no dead zone on the right but one on the left with my Ferrari wheel. No need to look into the game to understand that the dead zone is in software, the wheels just use mechanical potentiometers so technically it is impossible that it come from this part.