Dreamcast CDI Burner : Burn ALL CDI File Types On Linux With Open Source Software

General Dreamcast discussion applies here. Before posting here please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section to see if your topic would fit better in those categories.

Moderators: pcwzrd13, mazonemayu

Forum rules
Please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section before posting here to see if your topic would fit better in those categories. Example: A new game/homebrew release would go in the New Releases/Homebrew/Emulation section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=5 or if you're having an issue with getting your Dreamcast to work or a game to boot it would go in the Support section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=42
alexfree
fire

Dreamcast CDI Burner : Burn ALL CDI File Types On Linux With Open Source Software

Post#1 » Wed Jan 27, 2021 1:12 pm

Homepage

Dreamcast CDI Burner is a collection of software (CDIrip and CDRtools, along with my own cdib bash script) that can burn a Dreamcast CDI file to a blank CD-ROM using your computer's CD burner. The resulting CD-ROM is bootable on a Sega Dreamcast console, making use of the MIL-CD exploit. This exploit does not require any console modifications, as long as it is exploitable. CDI is the proprietary format of the Windows only software DiscJuggler. It is a very popular format for Sega Dreamcast software distribution.

Revision 0 and 1 consoles can all be exploited. If you have a revision 2 console it may not be able to use the MIL-CD exploit to boot burned CD-ROMs. To find out the revision of a console, flip it upside down and look for the number 0, 1, or 2 circled on the bottom label.

I first made this for only PowerPC Mac OS X, but since switching to Linux for my daily driver, I've made some changes to make this work on both Linux and PowerPC Mac OS X. If you have an Intel Mac you'll need to run 10.4-10.6 since this will use Rosetta to run as it is compiled for native PPC Mac OS X 10.3.9 (this is untested as I don't have an Intel Mac).

There is a Fedora 33 x86_64 Linux build which includes an installer/uninstaller and is already built from source. This build won't work on other Linux distros, so you'll have to compile from source on others. I have made compiling Dreamcast CDI Burner as simple as possible, download the source and execute the "build-all" command within the source release.

I've burned at least 20 different games/homebrew with a 100% success rate so far. Please visit the homepage for images, examples, and documentation.
Last edited by alexfree on Wed Sep 28, 2022 10:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tomodachi
noob

Re: Release - Dreamcast CDI Burner For Linux & Mac OS X 10.3.9-10.6.x - Burn All CDI File Types With Open Source Softwar

Post#2 » Sat Sep 24, 2022 4:22 pm

Wow thanks a bunch for your work Alex!

I just discovered this and it was great to be able to easily burn CDI images without resorting to using some shady windows software downloaded from the dark parts of the internet

alexfree
fire

Re: Release - Dreamcast CDI Burner For Linux & Mac OS X 10.3.9-10.6.x - Burn All CDI File Types With Open Source Softwar

Post#3 » Wed Sep 28, 2022 11:00 pm

tomodachi wrote:Wow thanks a bunch for your work Alex!

I just discovered this and it was great to be able to easily burn CDI images without resorting to using some shady windows software downloaded from the dark parts of the internet

I am very glad you found it, thanks for letting me know. It's quite silly to need Windows just to burn Sega Dreamcast .CDIs!

alexfree
fire

Re: Dreamcast CDI Burner : Burn ALL CDI File Types On Linux With Open Source Software

Post#4 » Wed Sep 28, 2022 11:03 pm

Massive v1.0.8 update now available!

https://github.com/alex-free/dreamcast- ... x86_64.zip

v1.0.8 (9/28/2022)

Changes:

Portable/self-contained Linux releases are now generated by the source tree (using PLED) that work on modern x86_64 Linux distributions.
Added an optional second argument that can be passed to DCDIB to allow a user specified CD burner device devname.
Added default CD burner device devname for cdrecord to the dcdib script (thanks Tomodachi).
Added CDRTools and CDIRip as proper submodules in source tree.
Completely rewrote the new build script for compiling portable Linux releases.
Added sanity checks to the dcdib script (thanks hackerb9).
Dropped Mac OS/Mac OS X/*BSD support.

alexfree
fire

Re: Dreamcast CDI Burner : Burn ALL CDI File Types On Linux With Open Source Software

Post#5 » Sun Oct 30, 2022 10:11 pm

(Deleted)