Dreamcast can run a GTA 3 port ?

General Dreamcast discussion applies here. Before posting here please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section to see if your topic would fit better in those categories.

Moderators: pcwzrd13, mazonemayu

Forum rules
Please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section before posting here to see if your topic would fit better in those categories. Example: A new game/homebrew release would go in the New Releases/Homebrew/Emulation section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=5 or if you're having an issue with getting your Dreamcast to work or a game to boot it would go in the Support section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=42
dark
Shark Patrol

Re: Dreamcast can run a GTA 3 port ?

Post#11 » Sun Jan 03, 2021 11:25 am

Ryo_Hazuki wrote:It seems that not even the city of the super runabout game can be fully loaded on Dreamcast. It is divided into smaller sections as in MSR.

I seem to recall unlocking a free run mode in MSR that let you drive around the entire part of a city that tracks were in, i.e., you could drive around the entire Shinjuku or Shibuya or Asakusa maps and the track barriers are removed (or the places in San Francisco or London), so you're basically driving around a large grid. That showed to me that the entirety of these stages could fit in the DC's ram and it wasn't the case that they had 20 different versions of the Shinjuku map with certain sections optimized for particular races.

You can't drive around all of Tokyo, but that's not something that's even in the game normally since Tokyo is so huge and the three places you get are like less than 5% of Tokyo's land area in real life. You also can't directly drive from say, Shinjuku to Asakusa to Shibuya, but these places aren't next to each other in real life so that wouldn't have made any sense anyway.

Cass
MegaDeath

Post#12 » Sun Jan 03, 2021 2:09 pm

Anybody know what Dreamcast game has the most geometry, biggest levels etc - Omikron the Nomad Soul maybe?

fafadou
Gold Lion

Post#13 » Sun Jan 03, 2021 2:25 pm

For me it's Shenmue 2 disc 3.
You have Hong Kong and Kowloon in the same disc more the bus road to Kowloon !
And the graphism are better than GTA 3.
Don't know omikron quiete enough.

For me, gta 3 needs to be repack for Dreamcast 8Mo of vram (than 4Mo for PS2) and has we said 16Mo of ram than 32Mo for ps2. And probably split the game in maybe 4 discs.
And of course repack the main binary for sh4.

It's possible, but a crazy project, i'm ready to help but I don't know where to start as a noob i am ^^

Anthony817
Shark Patrol

Post#14 » Sun Jan 03, 2021 3:48 pm

Cass wrote:Anybody know what Dreamcast game has the most geometry, biggest levels etc - Omikron the Nomad Soul maybe?

Graphics-wise? I would say my top 6 are Shenmue 2, Sega GT. Test Drive Le Mans, Vanishing Point, MSR and Dead or Alive 2.

Shenmue 1 and 2 were specifically made for the DC from ground up by somebody that knew the hardware intricately inside and out. So it is no wonder that level of graphical fidelity was possible since it was done by the father of true 3D graphics in video games. As fafadou said, it is really large and complex with some small details even being amazingly done.

Sega GT is one I really didn't learn to truly appreciate until recently. I always loved GT2 on Bleem and still do to this day, but Sega GT really shows me how far a driving sim on DC could have been pushed. Some very crisp textures on the cars and tracks with some nice models. Really what is there is a deep game, not as deep as GT2, but they really tried to give the DC a comparable experience.

Test Drive Le Mans was just amazingly done. Hard to believe they pushed the DC so far. I just wish it was a deeper game but as it stands they really pushed the graphics on it and pushed much further than the original PSX version.

Vanishing Point was also another game previously on PSX but the devs went above and beyond to push the graphical fidelity on the Dreamcast to all new standards. This game really shines and for me is the closest to maybe a classic Need For Speed game. Really fun game with deep progression and many unlockable real life cars with street racing in fully trafficked road courses.

MSR is a true beauty as well. Really is the precursor to the PGR games as it is made by the creators of it over at Bizarre Creations. They have the Kudos system in as well as great highly detailed real world locations. The cars are beautifully modeled as well accurate to their true to life counterparts.

Dead or Alive 2 is just simply beautiful. It uses all the advanced specific features of the Dreamcast possible to surpass even the PS2 port which compared to DC's sharp Anti-Aliased crisp 480p image looks fuzzy and blurry on PS2. Makes me wish we got Virtua Fighter 4 on DC if it had lasted just a little while longer.

As I am sure you all notice, most games are racing, but we all know when a new console comes out a true test of how powerful it is is to show off tech demos or games with nice car models. I think this also applies to the Dreamcast. It is simple to show off cars than do super detailed complex worlds like Shenmue 1 and 2, but Shenmue 2 is still at the top of that list for me since it still looks so damn good to this day.

Cass
MegaDeath

Post#15 » Sun Jan 03, 2021 4:20 pm

Anthony817 wrote:
Cass wrote:Anybody know what Dreamcast game has the most geometry, biggest levels etc - Omikron the Nomad Soul maybe?

Graphics-wise? I would say my top 6 are Shenmue 2, Sega GT. Test Drive Le Mans, Vanishing Point, MSR and Dead or Alive 2.

Shenmue 1 and 2 were specifically made for the DC from ground up by somebody that knew the hardware intricately inside and out. So it is no wonder that level of graphical fidelity was possible since it was done by the father of true 3D graphics in video games. As fafadou said, it is really large and complex with some small details even being amazingly done.

Sega GT is one I really didn't learn to truly appreciate until recently. I always loved GT2 on Bleem and still do to this day, but Sega GT really shows me how far a driving sim on DC could have been pushed. Some very crisp textures on the cars and tracks with some nice models. Really what is there is a deep game, not as deep as GT2, but they really tried to give the DC a comparable experience.

Test Drive Le Mans was just amazingly done. Hard to believe they pushed the DC so far. I just wish it was a deeper game but as it stands they really pushed the graphics on it and pushed much further than the original PSX version.

Vanishing Point was also another game previously on PSX but the devs went above and beyond to push the graphical fidelity on the Dreamcast to all new standards. This game really shines and for me is the closest to maybe a classic Need For Speed game. Really fun game with deep progression and many unlockable real life cars with street racing in fully trafficked road courses.

MSR is a true beauty as well. Really is the precursor to the PGR games as it is made by the creators of it over at Bizarre Creations. They have the Kudos system in as well as great highly detailed real world locations. The cars are beautifully modeled as well accurate to their true to life counterparts.

Dead or Alive 2 is just simply beautiful. It uses all the advanced specific features of the Dreamcast possible to surpass even the PS2 port which compared to DC's sharp Anti-Aliased crisp 480p image looks fuzzy and blurry on PS2. Makes me wish we got Virtua Fighter 4 on DC if it had lasted just a little while longer.

As I am sure you all notice, most games are racing, but we all know when a new console comes out a true test of how powerful it is is to show off tech demos or games with nice car models. I think this also applies to the Dreamcast. It is simple to show off cars than do super detailed complex worlds like Shenmue 1 and 2, but Shenmue 2 is still at the top of that list for me since it still looks so damn good to this day.

Cheers Anthony817. Some great lookers on the DC, Le Man's being a personal favourite and I'd add F355 to that. The colours pallette adds to the graphical allure.

The Nomad Soul won't win any awards for looks although it's a big and incredibly ambitious, interesting game - it is a bit of a muddy PC port. I was impressed with it back in the day it has lots of assets, people, traffic and huge buildings but the streets feels very rigid and devoid of the dynamism of a GTA style game. I mentioned it because I'm pretty sure it pushed the DC hard as we speculate about the demands of a GTA port as a sandbox style reference and comparison as outside of this and Shenmue we don't really have any.

dark
Shark Patrol

Post#16 » Sun Jan 03, 2021 5:40 pm

Just wanted to add that the developer for Vanish Point confirmed the game was designed for the dreamcast as the target platform, and was then downscaled for the PS1. Not that you'd be able to tell since the game doesn't exactly win an award for realistic car handling, but the dev said the whole concept for the game was to employ lots of complex mathematical models for the physics engine that was really only doable on a more powerful console like the DC, and they had to take a more stripped down approach for the PS1 "port".

Anthony817
Shark Patrol

Post#17 » Sun Jan 03, 2021 6:00 pm

Oh wow that is interesting thanks for the info dark! I must have had it the other way around. :P

Ryo_Hazuki
killer

Post#18 » Mon Jan 04, 2021 10:39 am

cloofoofoo wrote:
Ryo_Hazuki wrote:It seems that not even the city of the super runabout game can be fully loaded on Dreamcast. It is divided into smaller sections as in MSR.

What you're saying makes no sense. Msr is a racing game with closed loop racing game. Super runabout is a sand box mission based games, it pieces are easily 25% if not more as big as the map in GTA 3. Even though GTA 3 takes a more non linear approach to exploring. Super runabout is more like an arcade game with a huge chunk of land. You can't compare it directly.

I talked about the size of the game map.

Edit. I didn't know it was possible to release the map on the MSR.

About other beautiful games, The Red Dog also has good graphics with great scenery. Game with beautiful special effects.

JetSetRadioo
shadow

Post#19 » Mon Feb 08, 2021 11:47 am

Might work with some loading screens like Vice City did.

McGaffryson
undertow

Post#20 » Tue Feb 09, 2021 10:00 am

JetSetRadioo wrote:Might work with some loading screens like Vice City did.

That would be a heavy amount of loading screens, but it might work. Though, that is applying we have anyone willing to do that. Unless somebody can convince somebody like Randy Linden to take a swing at it, I think it would be too large of a project for anyone to handle.