Thoughts on a Dreamcast Mini?

General Dreamcast discussion applies here. Before posting here please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section to see if your topic would fit better in those categories.

Moderators: pcwzrd13, mazonemayu

Forum rules
Please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section before posting here to see if your topic would fit better in those categories. Example: A new game/homebrew release would go in the New Releases/Homebrew/Emulation section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=5 or if you're having an issue with getting your Dreamcast to work or a game to boot it would go in the Support section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=42
megavolt85
Developer

Re: Thoughts on a Dreamcast Mini?

Post#11 » Wed Nov 25, 2020 3:43 pm

I disagree with you, why buy a bunch of emulators if you can buy only one
also, adding games to all emulators from official manufacturers requires a lot of manipulations

willis
letterbomb

Post#12 » Wed Nov 25, 2020 4:49 pm

I do have the DCHDMI mod, but one great thing about this is you still have the option to hook it up 3 different ways. The mod doesn't interfere with the other types of output so you can still do

1. Analogggg
2. VGA
3. HD if wanted

Just need to do a gdemu and I think I will have all the mod bases covered.

Back on topic, I kind of fall in the middle of everything. I sometimes don't see the need for the mini's because I already have other devices that do all the emulation I need. However I'm a sucker for flashy emulator front ends and really appreciate the look of the really well done ones. Some of those can be a pain to get set up just perfect to your personal liking, so the thought of just adding more games to the mini's saves time in that regard. So if a person isn't interested in flashy customizable front ends for emulators then I agree with megavolt. Just find one device that does all the emulators and fill that thing up to your enjoyment.

Cass
MegaDeath

Post#13 » Thu Nov 26, 2020 9:05 am

willis wrote: I sometimes don't see the need for the mini's because I already have other devices that do all the emulation I need.

Technically there's no need for a DC mini but is there a consumer desire for such a product? If Sega think they can make money from this they'll pursue it. I'm not sure how successful the MD mini was/is but I'm sure that will inform their thinking.

But if a DC mini is realised then they're going to have to make some big calls. For example would it support online play for the likes of Outrigger, Daytona, AFO? That would take substantial investment and once that committment would be made you might as well have an online store.

If it doesn't have online capability it might sell ok at the right price point and with the right selection of games.However, for me it would be a pass as others have said there are currently many different ways we can enjoy the library already.

DCGX
Vagabond

Post#14 » Thu Nov 26, 2020 9:25 am

megavolt85 wrote:I disagree with you, why buy a bunch of emulators if you can buy only one
also, adding games to all emulators from official manufacturers requires a lot of manipulations

For the reasons I already mentioned...

Moo
rebel

Post#15 » Thu Nov 26, 2020 12:48 pm

I was never particularly a fan of the "mini-console" trend in particular, a Dreamcast mini wouldn't be of any interest to me but that goes without saying.