Bought a Dreamcast over amazon, having a problem.

General Dreamcast discussion applies here. Before posting here please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section to see if your topic would fit better in those categories.

Moderator: mazonemayu

Forum rules
Please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section before posting here to see if your topic would fit better in those categories. Example: A new game/homebrew release would go in the New Releases/Homebrew/Emulation section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=5 or if you're having an issue with getting your Dreamcast to work or a game to boot it would go in the Support section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=42
WillieBoykin
noob

Bought a Dreamcast over amazon, having a problem.

Post#1 » Thu Aug 13, 2020 12:09 am

Hi guy,

Not sure if this is where I should put this, but here I go.
Now, for reference I don't have any games for it yet. However I noticed some problems with it.
For one, every time it boots up it doesn't do the Dreamcast bootup animation. It just shows the Dreamcast logo with no sound, and takes roughly 2 minutes to take me to the menu.
Secondly, the Dreamcast should be able to play cds with music on them. However no matter which disk I try, it wont play it. It doesn't even spin the disk. (Note these disks are were NOT burned)

Here's what I've tried so far that has not worked.
I tried holding down the little switch at the back of the Dreamcast that the lid is supposed to push down, and nothing happens.
All of my wires are connected.
Is this a common thing? Will it work if I put an actual Dreamcast game in? Is it plausible for me to fix this, or should I just return it?

I appreciate you taking the time to read this, any advice would be a big help.

Thank you

kremiso
Outtrigger

Re: Bought a Dreamcast over amazon, having a problem.

Post#2 » Thu Aug 13, 2020 4:04 am

My hint is to send it back, fast
you payed for a working machine, not for one that need to be fixed before

Ian Micheal
Developer

Post#3 » Thu Aug 13, 2020 4:27 am

Yeah send it back If the disk is not Spinning up could be a few thing like the fan stop working or the motor died.. Should read audio cds or burned cdrs as well.. Dont need a real game to test that..

Anonymouse
Beats of Rage

Post#4 » Thu Aug 13, 2020 7:28 am

It could possibly be the opening switch at the back of the GD drive. It may be thinking the door is open. I have had an issue like this before and I sprayed contact cleaner in the switch which fixed it. Take the cover off and try moving the leaver by hand then switching it on. BE CAREFUL NOT TO GET AN ELECTRIC SHOCK

edit------

It may also be worthwhile re-seating the GD Drive as the connection between GD drive and motherboard may not be good.
Dreamcast: Blue Swirl, 60hz, White LED, Removable battery holder, Internal SD card reader, BBA, DreamPi, RGB Scart

mrneo240
Sunday Shootout

Post#5 » Fri Aug 14, 2020 2:54 am

return. Item doesn't work/not as described.