Dreamcast Upgrade Sugestions/Help (DCHDMI, Pico, Noctua)

General Dreamcast discussion applies here. Before posting here please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section to see if your topic would fit better in those categories.

Moderators: pcwzrd13, mazonemayu

Forum rules
Please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section before posting here to see if your topic would fit better in those categories. Example: A new game/homebrew release would go in the New Releases/Homebrew/Emulation section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=5 or if you're having an issue with getting your Dreamcast to work or a game to boot it would go in the Support section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=42
Thmanx
Anarki

Dreamcast Upgrade Sugestions/Help (DCHDMI, Pico, Noctua)

Post#1 » Fri Jul 31, 2020 2:44 pm

Howdy folks, its been a while since Ive posted here and hopped online with the DreamPi and all. Its been a few years since I first had my VA1 Dreamcast modified (240mhz switch, BIOS, Internal VGA + 3.5mm Mod w/ Switch), I've been itching to get my Dreamcast upgraded again since better things have come out in the last 3 years. Using my VGA-HDMI Atlona upscale box was the best you could do back in the day. But now with everything from direct DC-HDMI cables that kinda work, to the beautiful DCHDMI mod box that finally offers proper digital video and audio with correct aspect/scaling, I feel its time to get back into it.

Basically I'm looking to send my DC into a retro game store or to a modder to get even better video out of the system, reduce heat, and improve cooling/reliability. I know there is a shop in NY that does this, but really don't want to have to send my system across country if I don't have to.

I was thinking of getting the DCHDMI installed (and possibly removing my VGA mod mod if it conflicts), Picopower Supply, Noctua fan, and rechargeable battery. (maybe one day I'd do the crazy internal DreamPi/Wifi/Network Adapter mod to provide internal wifi access to the dreamcast, but thats later lol)

I live in the LA/OC area, anyone able to recommend a good shop or person up to the task?
I know the mod boards come and go depending on inventory, so I will likely have to collect my mods first, but I know I'm not good enough to install them.

Thmanx
Anarki

Re: Dreamcast Upgrade Sugestions/Help (DCHDMI, Pico, Noctua)

Post#2 » Sat Aug 15, 2020 4:12 am

DCHDMI kit purchased and being shipped from the UK, as well as a Dream PSU w/ brick.

Still hunting down a good seller for the fan. At least the Fan and PSU install is easily done at home. The d e soldering of board components and that ribbon cable on the DCHDMI kit though still look intimidating.

Alex_DC
dark night

Post#3 » Sat Aug 15, 2020 2:24 pm

Recommended list of installers for DCDigital at the bottom of the page: https://www.black-dog.tech/dcdigital.html

Thmanx
Anarki

Post#4 » Mon Aug 17, 2020 8:24 pm

I saw that list too, tough the links for USA installers don't give much information on where they are. Don't want to send something across the country if there was someone closer to ship to, and sending quote requests to all of them is a bit busy. Once i get my parts in hand I'll narrow the search down further, The DreamPSU & Fan mod are easy enough to be done on my own, but the DCHDMI is quite a bit more involved.

Thmanx
Anarki

Post#5 » Thu Aug 20, 2020 10:33 pm

Progress! DCHDMI in hand.
Will be nice to replace the atlona setup.
Attachments
BFBE4995-E54A-41F2-9121-86BEE294B670.jpeg
5AD8DB0E-C050-4A4C-8D6B-388163EA9DA9.jpeg

Thmanx
Anarki

Post#6 » Thu Aug 27, 2020 12:02 pm

More updates. Noctua 5V fan kit and shroud from VGNewYork. Gonna install this later today (and DreamPSU arriving too)
Attachments
51F236BF-8E1D-419F-9EDF-27D27504E9EF.jpeg

Thmanx
Anarki

Post#7 » Thu Aug 27, 2020 8:42 pm

Well I was gonna install the Dream PSU & Noctua fan today. Until I remembered all the mod wires in my unit from the BIOS chip, 240mhz mod, and VGA mod/switch lol.

Putting feelers out now for modders down for the task.
Attachments
2C67B07A-3868-4F4D-9D44-C9A97B1DB2B7.jpeg
394A121B-B182-4BE8-AC41-8CC86677A0BC.jpeg
83EBCB8F-23BE-4090-9264-0D2F8D04BFC1.jpeg

Thmanx
Anarki

Post#8 » Sat Aug 29, 2020 2:31 am

I got a response from Will from RetroHacks.Net. Anyone have any experience with him for services in the past?

Thmanx
Anarki

Post#9 » Tue Sep 01, 2020 10:37 am

Will has agreed to take on the project, including re-locating my OC and BIOS switch's to the rear using a 3D printed plate where the old VGA port is.!

He'll be installing the DCHDMI, cleaning up/removing the old VGA mod, relocating the switches, and installing the PSU & Fan for free in the process. all for around $110 not including shipping to him in Ohio.

He sounds like a real professional, he wont invoice anyone until the product is received, work done, and everything looks good with post-mod pictures.

Thmanx
Anarki

Post#10 » Wed Sep 02, 2020 11:11 am

DC + Mods box'd and shipped. Currently on a truck/plane to Ohio. Will continue to update this thread w/pictures, and post mod results/quality when returned in a couple of weeks.