Dreamcast USB Coders Cables Pre-Ordering now Open

General Dreamcast discussion applies here. Before posting here please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section to see if your topic would fit better in those categories.

Moderators: pcwzrd13, mazonemayu

Forum rules
Please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section before posting here to see if your topic would fit better in those categories. Example: A new game/homebrew release would go in the New Releases/Homebrew/Emulation section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=5 or if you're having an issue with getting your Dreamcast to work or a game to boot it would go in the Support section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=42
Xiden
Developer

Dreamcast USB Coders Cables Pre-Ordering now Open

Post#1 » Tue Jul 28, 2020 6:28 pm

Hey everyone!

Cables Are Now Available for Pre-Order from Kevin Mellott. The Cost for a cable is $85 plus shipping.

To order send a request to: [email protected]

These are great for home brew development, ripping your own Dreamcast backups, or for use with VMU explorer tool. There may be some other uses I'm missing so please let me know and I'll update it here!

This is a Serial to USB-C connector. You may request other usb connector types if desired.
DC Coders Cable USB-C.jpg

mellott124
rebel

Re: Dreamcast USB Coders Cables Pre-Ordering now Open

Post#2 » Tue Jul 28, 2020 8:18 pm

Thanks Xiden. I've already shipped the first one and I can do a USB-C connector or a USB STD A. Which ever people prefer. The serial DC connector end is based on work from my serial cable discussed here: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=12984

Design and everything is done. I'll just order parts as people become interested. Thanks!

I'm also attaching some pictures of the serial DC connector below. It's my own design and it's obviously the most important piece in the coders cable. Everything is made from new parts.
Attachments
IMG-4932.jpg
IMG-4928.jpg
IMG-4927.jpg

ac3t1ne
rebel

Post#3 » Mon Aug 24, 2020 11:02 am

Looking forward to getting mine, this combined with DreamSDK looks 100 times more convenient than the mess of makefiles command line utils and burned cds that I used last time I was messing around!

Xiden
Developer

Post#4 » Mon Aug 24, 2020 11:22 am

I'm really curious if p2p over the internet would work with the coders cable. I had talked with someone that tried something similar with ps1 link cable and it kinda worked, a little bit of a pulsing lag.

Ian Micheal
Developer

Post#5 » Tue Aug 25, 2020 2:20 am

Looks very nice and i need one for sure but the cost is to much for me at this time.. last one i bought was $25 not as nice looking as this was old skool.. I wish you luck with it .. I say $50 is fair most coders here dont have heaps of cash.. I do everything using nulldc and burning cdr lol Homebrew release i do cost me money to release it for free sometime 40 hours / 30 cdrs etc 100cdrs $15 With out nulldc i could not fix and port things i do because it has printf.. i rather this but just dont have that right now

mrneo240
Rank 9

Post#6 » Wed Aug 26, 2020 12:52 am

These look fantastic I'm just curious about the angle of homebrew dev or backup things.

The price for this @ $85+sh is right at the price of a BBA which can also do all these things and is much faster for dev.
In addition it grants network connectivity as well.

I do wish you luck, it just seems like both are in the price bracket but the features of one outweigh the other

Nico0020
Sunday Shootout

Post#7 » Wed Aug 26, 2020 2:27 am

Ian Micheal wrote:Looks very nice and i need one for sure but the cost is to much for me at this time.. last one i bought was $25 not as nice looking as this was old skool.. I wish you luck with it .. I say $50 is fair most coders here dont have heaps of cash.. I do everything using nulldc and burning cdr lol Homebrew release i do cost me money to release it for free sometime 40 hours / 30 cdrs etc 100cdrs $15 With out nulldc i could not fix and port things i do because it has printf.. i rather this but just dont have that right now

Let's get Ian a coder cable. I've got $5, who else has $5? :mrgreen:

fafadou
Gold Lion

Post#8 » Wed Aug 26, 2020 3:22 am

I guess @Xiden should give one to @Ian Michael.

Xiden
Developer

Post#9 » Wed Aug 26, 2020 2:40 pm

fafadou wrote:I guess @Xiden should give one to @Ian Michael.

I'm not the maker of these :lol: I'm just helping kevin promote the cables.

I'd help chip in to help Ian get one though

mellott124
rebel

Post#10 » Mon Sep 07, 2020 7:12 pm

I understand price is not ideal on these. However, they're hand built cables and at some point its just not worth my time given other things I'm working on. I've done about a half dozen of these cable designs for various systems (VB, DC, Wonderswan) now and they all end up around $85. It's just where it falls when things are hand built and low volume.

With that being said, I'm known somewhat in the Virtual Boy community for helping people out, especially developers, if you have a good story. So feel free to contact me if you think you have one. [email protected]
Last edited by mellott124 on Mon Sep 07, 2020 7:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.