a lost cause

General Dreamcast discussion applies here. Before posting here please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section to see if your topic would fit better in those categories.

Moderators: pcwzrd13, mazonemayu

Forum rules
Please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section before posting here to see if your topic would fit better in those categories. Example: A new game/homebrew release would go in the New Releases/Homebrew/Emulation section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=5 or if you're having an issue with getting your Dreamcast to work or a game to boot it would go in the Support section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=42
georgiaboi372
lithium

a lost cause

Post#1 » Sun Jul 19, 2020 3:10 am

so . i just have to throw this out there and get this off my chest and vent to those who understand how special the Dreamcast is and can sympathize...
sometime last year, my best friend of 13 years who i also lived with, started getting into some sh*t. i don't really want to go into too much detail about it but his desperation caused him to go behind my back and literally rob me of my Dreamcast collection. i'd say he pawned over $300 worth. Console , cables, two controllers, two vmus.
Crazy Taxi. Jet Grind Radio. Power Stone. Soul Calibur. Street Fighter III: Third Strike. Shenmue. Sonic Adventure 2.
House of The Dead 2. Tony Hawks Pro Skater 2. NBA2k1. NFL 2k2. Virtua Tennis.

it's safe to say i moved out , but its been almost a year since and i copped a PS1 to fill the void however it is not the same.
prices for SFIII alone has skyrocketed from $70 to $160 so it's been rough. i'm very eager to say eff it and start collecting again tho. i low key want to start a gofundme or kickstarter or something haha but i probably wont .
just had to get this out in the open. thanks y'all .

Anonymouse
Outtrigger

Re: a lost cause

Post#2 » Sun Jul 19, 2020 7:22 am

Sounds like a nightmare. I feel your pain. Try something new: buy another Dreamcast, get a DreamPi setup and play ripped CDs until you can regain a collection
Dreamcast: Blue Swirl, 60hz, White LED, Removable battery holder, Internal SD card reader, BBA, DreamPi, RGB Scart

georgiaboi372
lithium

Post#3 » Sun Jul 19, 2020 7:44 am

Anonymouse wrote:Sounds like a nightmare. I feel your pain. Try something new: buy another Dreamcast, get a DreamPi setup and play ripped CDs until you can regain a collection

as nice as that sounds . i don't have a working disc drive to burn games. and for some reason a few years back, i actually broke 2 dreamcasts using burned discs and never went back. the lasers kept getting fried. :| apparently i have terrible luck

Ian Micheal
Developer

Post#4 » Sun Jul 19, 2020 7:48 am

georgiaboi372 wrote:
Anonymouse wrote:Sounds like a nightmare. I feel your pain. Try something new: buy another Dreamcast, get a DreamPi setup and play ripped CDs until you can regain a collection

as nice as that sounds . i don't have a working disc drive to burn games. and for some reason a few years back, i actually broke 2 dreamcasts using burned discs and never went back. the lasers kept getting fried. :| apparently i have terrible luck

burned games dont not break them they was worn out anyways.. Lot now are dead or dieing Hence a lot peoples move to the Gdemu bad burn game will put some more strain on a gdrom but it's not going to kill it loading a few games.. My current dreamcast the last 15 year has only played cdrs it still works

deluxux
Black Mesa

Post#5 » Sun Jul 19, 2020 7:56 am

I really wouldn't buy these 20+ year old discs even the ones in mint and sealed are starting to rot away.
You can get a gadget called a "Gdemu" on ebay or a "Dreamshell SD" get rid of the moving parts of the system and be free to run anything you want.
Also a new power supply "PicoPSU" has "revived" 2 of my "dead" disc drives. Might be worth a try.
Search around plenty of options to get you playing DC again. Heck even the emulation is really great for the Dreamcast nowadays and you can even play online.
Welcome to the site and Goodluck!

georgiaboi372
lithium

Post#6 » Sun Jul 19, 2020 8:23 am

deluxux wrote:I really wouldn't buy these 20+ year old discs even the ones in mint and sealed are starting to rot away.
You can get a gadget called a "Gdemu" on ebay or a "Dreamshell SD" get rid of the moving parts of the system and be free to run anything you want.
Also a new power supply "PicoPSU" has "revived" 2 of my "dead" disc drives. Might be worth a try.
Search around plenty of options to get you playing DC again. Heck even the emulation is really great for the Dreamcast nowadays and you can even play online.
Welcome to the site and Goodluck!

yeah the idea of Gdemu and Dreamshell is cool as hell. but damn it seems complicated as far as resources go.

Ian Micheal
Developer

Post#7 » Sun Jul 19, 2020 8:29 am

pretty much plug and play these days :) lot of youtube videos showing you how easy it is to install

deluxux
Black Mesa

Post#8 » Sun Jul 19, 2020 8:32 am

Plenty of guides around and threads available on the site, look it up on youtube its a really nice little gadget. If I was looking to buy a Dreamcast today Id get one with a bad Gdrom slap a Gdemu in and enjoy.

georgiaboi372
lithium

Post#9 » Sun Jul 19, 2020 8:37 am

deluxux wrote:Plenty of guides around and threads available on the site, look it up on youtube its a really nice little gadget. If I was looking to buy a Dreamcast today Id get one with a bad Gdrom slap a Gdemu in and enjoy.

would i be able to pull this off using a Macbook Pro ?
Last edited by georgiaboi372 on Sun Jul 19, 2020 8:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

Roareye
Rank 9

Post#10 » Sun Jul 19, 2020 8:37 am

What about the Terraonion MODE? Surely easier to get a hold of than a GDEMU.

I'm still running on discs atm, but plan to find a workaround eventually. Is there a reason people would go with the GDEMU over the MODE?