Dreamcast AICA MIDI output

General Dreamcast discussion applies here. Before posting here please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section to see if your topic would fit better in those categories.

Moderators: pcwzrd13, mazonemayu

Forum rules
Please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section before posting here to see if your topic would fit better in those categories. Example: A new game/homebrew release would go in the New Releases/Homebrew/Emulation section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=5 or if you're having an issue with getting your Dreamcast to work or a game to boot it would go in the Support section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=42
tsowell
rebel

Dreamcast AICA MIDI output

Post#1 » Mon Jul 13, 2020 11:20 pm

Hi all,

I put together some instructions for adding a MIDI connector to a Dreamcast modem. The MIDI output is controlled by the AICA sound processor, and it requires special software support to use it. My alternate ScummVM backend for Dreamcast might be the only software that supports it, but there isn't much that supports the official Dreamcast MIDI Interface Cable either :).

For a while I was using this instead of a MIDI Interface Cable because they are impossible to find and because it ties up the serial port. This mod might be slightly easier than making a homebrew MIDI Interface Cable too.

A lot of the games ScummVM supports have soundtracks composed specifically for certain vintage synthesizers like the Roland MT-32 and SC-55, and there are probably other Dreamcast ports that could benefit from MIDI output. Doom had a MIDI soundtrack, so I'd like to add MIDI output to one of its Dreamcast ports one of these days.

Ian Micheal
Developer

Re: Dreamcast AICA MIDI output

Post#2 » Mon Jul 13, 2020 11:51 pm

can add timidy support to doom pretty easy but it'[s software not hardware

Midi player i did using opensrc midi patches this is all software.

colgate
Doom

Post#3 » Tue Jul 14, 2020 3:34 am

This is amazing, well written tutorial as well. I wonder if the karaoke adapter also has a midi out?.

Sent from my Moto G Play using Tapatalk

dan-dan
noob

Post#4 » Wed Dec 29, 2021 1:18 am

thanks tsowell!

can't wait to hear Dreamcast make the sweet sound of Roland mt32 & sound canvas!

state_product
shadow

Post#5 » Wed Jan 10, 2024 3:03 pm

Does this impact the ability to use DreamPi at all? Thinking this could be fun to toy around with.

state_product
shadow

Post#6 » Thu Jan 11, 2024 12:52 am

Also, does this work when plugged into the kareoke component?