Dreamcast Link Cables Pre-Ordering

General Dreamcast discussion applies here. Before posting here please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section to see if your topic would fit better in those categories.

Moderators: pcwzrd13, mazonemayu

Forum rules
Please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section before posting here to see if your topic would fit better in those categories. Example: A new game/homebrew release would go in the New Releases/Homebrew/Emulation section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=5 or if you're having an issue with getting your Dreamcast to work or a game to boot it would go in the Support section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=42
deluxux
Black Mesa

Re: New Homemade HQ Dreamcast Link Cables Interest

Post#11 » Fri Jun 05, 2020 12:32 pm

Awesome work! I will buy one. I agree a dongle style would be best!

Roareye
Rank 9

Post#12 » Sat Jun 06, 2020 4:52 am

Absolutely, though I'd be very interested in seeing if there was a way to rig it to ethernet to play those 5 titles online, with the console thinking it's playing locally.

After all, the games shown require 2 Dreamcasts, 2 copies of the game, 2 TVs etc. I'll happily get one, though I would also like to see online development using this port. Broadband is, for the most part, faster than what the Dreamcast was designed to work with so it's hard to see (from a layman's point of view anyway) what would prevent us using this as an online gaming work-around.

runkthepunk
Doom

Post#13 » Sat Jun 06, 2020 10:22 am

Anonymouse wrote:Im not sure of the pin out but it would be sweet if it was possible to make a pair of serial to female rj45 so users could run an ethernet inbetween to their desired lengths. If would also keep size, price and shipping down.

This is definitely a fantastic idea as it allows more flexibity for setting up the machines and TVs required if the cable an be cut to length.

Roareye wrote:Absolutely, though I'd be very interested in seeing if there was a way to rig it to ethernet to play those 5 titles online, with the console thinking it's playing locally.

After all, the games shown require 2 Dreamcasts, 2 copies of the game, 2 TVs etc. I'll happily get one, though I would also like to see online development using this port. Broadband is, for the most part, faster than what the Dreamcast was designed to work with so it's hard to see (from a layman's point of view anyway) what would prevent us using this as an online gaming work-around.

I am not sure if it is possible either but if it were feasible to somehow 'trick' the machines in to thinking they are connected locally but are actually connected online that would be superb!

I would be in for a pair of dongles :shock:

SEGA RPG FAN
Developer

Post#14 » Sat Jun 06, 2020 4:37 pm

Roareye wrote:Broadband is, for the most part, faster than what the Dreamcast was designed to work with so it's hard to see (from a layman's point of view anyway) what would prevent us using this as an online gaming work-around.

Don't confuse internet "speed," a real misnomer that I wish would die :D with the time it takes to send data back and forth. A local serial connection will always be "faster"

It's about the latency not the bandwidth.
PSO Dreamcast 100% Legit: Eda FOmarl, Automaton HUcast

Xiden
Developer

Post#15 » Sun Jun 07, 2020 8:05 pm

Progress on this has progressed faster than expected:) Kevin will be taking be taking pre-orders soon to move this project forward. He will need our preorder cost to help contribute towards pcb manufacturing costs.

The cost will be $99 + Shipping for a link cable. Cables will ship 4-6 weeks. After preorders are done he can place a bulk order to the PCB fabrication factory.

Ill be updating the original post with details on how to order. It will be done through PayPal invoice.

Please share this information with your friends so we can place as many orders as possible:)

mrneo240
Rank 9

Post#16 » Sun Jun 07, 2020 9:21 pm

Wow. Too rich for me. Figured they would be closer to the previous attempt at this which were $40

Xiden
Developer

Post#17 » Sun Jun 07, 2020 10:51 pm

mrneo240 wrote:Wow. Too rich for me. Figured they would be closer to the previous attempt at this which were $40

Its mostly due to manufacturing costs. Perhaps if we can get more people on board we could see possible reduction in production costs :) ill continue to keep you folks posted :)

mellott124
rebel

Post#18 » Sun Jun 07, 2020 11:04 pm

Hi,

I'm Kevin Mellott, the guy making the new serial cable Xiden is referencing. I posted once before when this cable came up a while ago. The difference now is that I have a lot of experience building cables for retro gaming systems, as well as lots of other gear, and a solution to hold those very small 0.5 mm wide pins. I pinged Xiden to see if the previous Dreamcast serial cables ever came to fruition.

I think you'll find that my cables are a high quality 3D printed product. They're printed from a nylon and chopped carbon fiber material that makes them very strong and robust. Surface finish is also top notch. I've shipped hundreds for the Virtual Boy system. I think you'll see some big differences between my cable and others. My cable also contains a custom internal PCB to keep those very small 10 pins aligned, repeatable, and buildable. That is key for this Dreamcast serial cable because those pins are only 0.5 mm wide.

I realize the price is not for everyone but I also cannot build cables for $40. It's just not feasible when things are hand built at low volume. I will build these and get at least 1 to Xiden because I've already completed all the mechanical design and 3D test prints. If for anything else just to put this to rest and provide a cable to people who want one.

Thanks,
Kevin

mrneo240
Rank 9

Post#19 » Sun Jun 07, 2020 11:35 pm

They sound awesome!

DcTvsTaisenLink
noob

Post#20 » Mon Jun 08, 2020 8:52 am

Hi mellott124, Xiden and all others,

New member here. I was sent here by pcwzrd13.
Put me down for one.

If there only was someone who would want to order several to resell on ebay or something. That would perhaps lower the costs.
Also, this needs some hype. I was not able to find this thread by googling
Something like a Kotaku news item. '300$ unfindable holy grail dreamcast cable being remade'