HOW/TO - Modify WinCE GDI Content w/CDDA

General Dreamcast discussion applies here. Before posting here please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section to see if your topic would fit better in those categories.

Moderators: pcwzrd13, mazonemayu

Forum rules
Please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section before posting here to see if your topic would fit better in those categories. Example: A new game/homebrew release would go in the New Releases/Homebrew/Emulation section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=5 or if you're having an issue with getting your Dreamcast to work or a game to boot it would go in the Support section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=42
FuzzyFish
minority

HOW/TO - Modify WinCE GDI Content w/CDDA

Post#1 » Thu May 21, 2020 11:37 am

Took me awhile to get this fully sorted, special thanks to deluxux/b] for getting this pointed in the right direction. This guide is for is making changes to data on track 3 to allow the addition of content to a Windows CE game, while keeping CD Audio in-tact. [b]If there is a better method let me know so I can update the guide. I'll use 4x4 Evolution as an example, as that is what I'm working with and I'll keep updating this guide as I get time/more efficient.

What you need:
-GDI of the game you wish to modify
-GDI Explorer (Extracts data files from GDI tracks)
-BootDreams (Generates an IP.BIN)
-IPBIN4WIN (Modify IP.BIN for non-sega OS)
-GDI Builder (To generate track 3, final track, and GDI file)

1. Copy GDI file and all tracks to desired output directory.
2. Use GDI Explorer to extra raw data from Track 3 into another directory
3. Use BootDreams to generate any image type.
4. After hitting process select 0WINCEOS.BIN, hit no to scrambling WinCE binary, yes to generate an IP.BIN
5. Cancel the process you do not need the image
6. Use IPBIN4WIN, and uncheck SEGA OS used
7. Add/change the files you want in your raw data folder.
8. Use GDI builder, select your raw data folder, the IP.BIN, and the original CDDA tracks (Or new ones even)
9. GDI builder will generate track data for the GDI file to copy and paste in. (Only generates tracks 3 and beyond)
10. Paste in the new track data to your existing GDI file, DO NOT REMOVE TRACKS 1 & 2
11. Test the GDI, you lose the WinCE boot logo but otherwise it seems to function normally.

Drawbacks:
-Seems overly complicated, if a tool doesn't exist to do this in one go it should be possible to do so.
-GDI Explorer can not open the end result meaning something is still not 100% perfect
(NOTE: I have not tested this on real hardware yet as I am using Demul & Flycast for testing executable builds)
4x4 Evolution Revival Project
http://www.4x4evolution.net

fafadou
Gold Lion

Re: HOW/TO - Modify WinCE GDI Content w/CDDA

Post#2 » Thu May 21, 2020 2:33 pm

Thanks I was looking for this since a while :-D

For the mis CDI of 4x4 evolution, I guess I have to hack the lba of winceos.bin.

Anyway, I'll tryit tomorrow.

mrneo240
Rank 9

Post#3 » Thu May 21, 2020 6:37 pm

Anything related to IP.bin can be ignored if you're just remaking a gdi.
Just use the original

deluxux
Black Mesa

Post#4 » Thu May 21, 2020 7:08 pm

If you do use bootdreams make sure you change the name in the IP.BIN for the Gdemu. Or it shows up as bootdreams. You can also add an 0GDTEX.PVR for the picture.

I don't understand the advantage of working with the GDI format. Just to keep the original disc format/layout?

mrneo240
Rank 9

Post#5 » Fri May 22, 2020 2:05 am

Skips license screen on gdemu

fafadou
Gold Lion

Post#6 » Fri May 22, 2020 6:35 am

The gdi format run better, and you can optimise it in standard 2048 sectors size, to run it "more better".
You can see it in particular with dreamshell.
The dataflow is optimise, the cdi format is good only if you burn it.

FuzzyFish
minority

Post#7 » Fri May 22, 2020 7:22 am

The reason for doing this, is I can process executable/content changes much faster and retain CDDA. Instead of doing the entire image every single time, I only have to process track 3. It's about potentially saving hours of time that could be put towards development.

For testing on emulators/GDEMU, it saves a massive amount of time. Bit of an edge case, but it took forever to sort and it could potentially be helpful should someone want to modify and self-boot a Windows CE game.
4x4 Evolution Revival Project
http://www.4x4evolution.net