Thoughts on MODE - optical disc emulator for Dreamcast (V0/VA1) and Saturn

General Dreamcast discussion applies here. Before posting here please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section to see if your topic would fit better in those categories.

Moderators: pcwzrd13, mazonemayu

Forum rules
Please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section before posting here to see if your topic would fit better in those categories. Example: A new game/homebrew release would go in the New Releases/Homebrew/Emulation section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=5 or if you're having an issue with getting your Dreamcast to work or a game to boot it would go in the Support section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=42
areyareadyherewego
photon blast

Thoughts on MODE - optical disc emulator for Dreamcast (V0/VA1) and Saturn

Post#1 » Tue Apr 21, 2020 8:46 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IVpnjd8 ... =emb_title

Looks interesting for people not able to get a gdemu / don't want a usb gdrom or a clone gdemu

https://shop.terraonion.com/en/home/17- ... n_ODE.html

its 182 euro and sounds like ships in June or July

Ragfish
St.Jimmy

Re: Thoughts on MODE - optical disc emulator for Dreamcast (V0/VA1) and Saturn

Post#2 » Tue Apr 21, 2020 9:39 pm

It seems expensive compared to other solutions, and the dual compatibility with both dreamcast and saturn doesn't seem very practical as I imagine swapping it back and forth every time you wanted to play the other system would get annoying quickly. However, I can still see it possibly becoming a success if they can actually keep the product in stock.

areyareadyherewego
photon blast

Post#3 » Tue Apr 21, 2020 9:55 pm

yeah would feel painful paying for two units at that price for two systems, I concur

but it's probably better for Saturn where the options are more limited

Caspian
core

Post#4 » Wed Apr 22, 2020 3:53 am

This development is more useful to the Saturn than the Dreamcast. For the Dreamcast you can actually get a much cheaper GDEMU clone and be done with it. It would have a lot of Dreamcast potential if it was much cheaper though.

Also a note, it ships from Andora which is not a part of the EU however it has a trade agreement so no duties and taxes should be induced for EU countries, however such additional costs could be expected for countries outside of the EU.

Windreader
noob

Post#5 » Wed Apr 22, 2020 4:13 pm

Yeah, I'm going to have to agree with some of the other posters here in that it just seems impractical to have to swap them out if you were to want to use it for the other system. It is a genuinely neat product and I'm glad that there are more options (especially for the Saturn) but with that said, it really isn't something for me.

Greg2600
dark night

Post#6 » Fri May 29, 2020 11:11 pm

Well I still think the MODE will ship before the Satiator does, but the Satiator is entering the home stretch, from what I've read. The MODE will likely be more expensive, though it does enable you to use a HDD/SSD which is far easier to load a massive Saturn library to.

Ian Micheal
Developer

Post#7 » Sat May 30, 2020 9:17 am

also has a better menu support for the cost not ugly like the current gdemu which like a ps2 homebrew snes menu from 2002

Greg2600
dark night

Post#8 » Sun Jun 21, 2020 1:26 pm

I've been reading some of the TerraOnion forum, there's a few things MODE doesn't do which I wish it did.

Firstly, there's no in-game return to menu! At least on DC, the dev said you could use DCHDMI for that, but obviously most of us don't have that installed. Second annoyance is that you cannot transfer files from the microSD to/from USB or SATA. So if you have to add games seems like you have to open it up and remove the HDD.