Heroes of Might and Magic III Dreamcast unreleased community fundraiser

General Dreamcast discussion applies here. Before posting here please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section to see if your topic would fit better in those categories.

Moderators: pcwzrd13, mazonemayu

Forum rules
Please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section before posting here to see if your topic would fit better in those categories. Example: A new game/homebrew release would go in the New Releases/Homebrew/Emulation section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=5 or if you're having an issue with getting your Dreamcast to work or a game to boot it would go in the Support section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=42
azel
fire

Re: Heroes of Might and Magic III Dreamcast unreleased community fundraiser

Post#11 » Tue Mar 03, 2020 1:39 pm

dreamcast ™ wrote:@pcwzrd13 - The reason for a fund-raised release is simple. Up until the game is released, the game is sold from one party to another for a single, usually significant, price for a single physical copy of the game. The moment that single unique game is distributed online, it potentially loses a lot of its value because now it exists in multiple.

The post's author clearly states the game cost the author $600 (~£355) at the time of purchase. Just because the game goes from existing on a GD-R to existing on a hard drive doesn't suddenly mean the cost of acquisition goes away.

The author's asking for a return on their investment before releasing the game is just the final transaction for the game, no different from going from single party to single party, it's just now going from a single party to a distributed party. We should be thankful that the game ended up with someone who's willing to release the game at all.

Those who choose to release games out of their own pocket are a privilege, not a right, to the community. Anyone who feels differently is welcome to put their money where their mouth is and fund the fundraiser themselves to acquire and release the game for free to everyone else.

I was full on the side of 'this guy is being greedy and should release it to the people for free' but these are some pretty convincing arguments. He just wants to recoup some of his $600 because the disc will definitely lose value after it's freely distributed. Okay, I will put my pitchfork down for now :lol:

deluxux
Black Mesa

Post#12 » Tue Mar 03, 2020 5:11 pm

A return on investment from a scratched demo disc he bought 15 years ago? What crackpot appraiser set the value at $600? I say he overpaid by $550. Why not just sell it on ebay? Its surely worth at least ~£355?

azel
fire

Post#13 » Tue Mar 03, 2020 5:33 pm

deluxux wrote:A return on investment from a scratched demo disc he bought 15 years ago? What crackpot appraiser set the value at $600? I say he overpaid by $550. Why not just sell it on ebay? Its surely worth at least ~£355?

Contradicting yourself here. You're saying it's worth only $50 and then £355?

Either way even if you disagree with him asking for some money to release it I think it's great he is giving the community a chance to get at it before some collector buys it and stores it away for another 15 years.

deluxux
Black Mesa

Post#14 » Tue Mar 03, 2020 5:50 pm

Why not just sell it on ebay? Its surely worth at least ~£355? (No its not, It won't sell for anywhere near that)

Good for him to give it to the community for such a small fee. Its to bad he couldn't just take a Dreamcast as his ROI 15 years later. That seems like a fair trade to me. Sorry but I hate this attitude, just a pet peeve. I'm the asshole here I know just speaking my mind.

mistamontiel
Shark Patrol

Post#15 » Tue Mar 03, 2020 5:54 pm

FUCK Heroes! Test Drive Cycles!!!

Krootox1986
letterbomb

Post#16 » Tue Mar 03, 2020 6:21 pm

mistamontiel wrote:FUCK Heroes! Test Drive Cycles!!!

I'm sure I had that on my old gameboy. Never realised it was a console game aswell

Bob Dobbs
Sub Genius

Post#17 » Tue Mar 03, 2020 9:34 pm

mistamontiel wrote:FUCK Heroes! Test Drive Cycles!!!

Ditto!
Regards,
Bob Dobbs

Anthony817
Shark Patrol

Post#18 » Tue Mar 03, 2020 10:15 pm

Yeah honestly not sure why nobody has released Test Drive Cycles? Quite a few peopel have owned that beta. I mean, it is SUPER early and basic, not very complete at all, and hugely slow frames. My friend atreyu187 used to own that disc, he said it was nothing special. But dammit why not release it years back? Yet, this guy wants $600 for this.

For sure racing appeals to a vast majority more people than Might and Magic?

I don't know, the DC community has historically paid to release MOST unreleased betas like this when priced reasonably. I have been with the community for a long time now and always witnessed how fundraisers go. Sometimes they fail but not often when it is a super sought after game.

Anthony817
Shark Patrol

Post#19 » Wed Mar 04, 2020 1:58 am

Also, hold the front door. This is a TRUE Windows CE game! We can legit mod this! Hands down, we MAY actually be able to add stuff to this game from the retail version, despite it's incomplete state... :lol:

Ian Micheal
Developer

Post#20 » Wed Mar 04, 2020 2:36 am

It would be nice if people found the src code to this games so we could complete them.. I think the src to any of these is a bigger deal then a build of it.. Like that microsoft flight sim the people said they release the src code of it i have not seen it..