Look what I found on eBay today...

General Dreamcast discussion applies here. Before posting here please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section to see if your topic would fit better in those categories.

Moderators: pcwzrd13, mazonemayu

Forum rules
Please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section before posting here to see if your topic would fit better in those categories. Example: A new game/homebrew release would go in the New Releases/Homebrew/Emulation section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=5 or if you're having an issue with getting your Dreamcast to work or a game to boot it would go in the Support section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=42
runkthepunk
Doom

Re: Look what I found on eBay today...

Post#11 » Tue Feb 04, 2020 4:39 pm

Anthony817 wrote:By the way, if anybody wanted to make a mock-up Zip Drive addon for the Dreamcast, you could purchase a broken karaoke addon, and gut it, and put a real zip drive inside it as the zip drives fit inside of the slot where the control panel for the karaoke unit were. In fact an old member here by the name of Spinksy made one back a decade ago here.

Sorry for the low quality, I didn't have the foresight to save it when it was still available full quality, I had to steal it from Google thumbnails, but here is all we got.

He gutted the Zip drive too. My idea was to use this with the IDE HDD mod and stick it inside the thing. But now there are bettter solutions, such as the widely available GDEMU which I have now.

But if you ever wanted to make one, I believe the zip drive he used was an old Panasonic one for the PC. That fit exactly in the space that the karaoke unit took up, leading me to believe the shell was meant to be used for both devices and happened to be made to fit both of them. All they had to do was build to scale of the zip drive, and make the karaoke bits fit into the same space, which they did.

You can see he even added the USB looking slot on the side the official prototype had. I used to want to have a Y splitter USB cable inside a modded unity like that connected to a HDD for quick access for putting games on it.

As you can see, a zip drive is the same width as the inside control panel section of the karaoke unit.

Iomega did say the Dreamcast Zip Drive was exactly the same as a PC one internally with only a few "tweaks".

I own the Spinksy mockup zip drive now. I bought it from him years ago so if anyone wants more pictures then give me a shout. :)

Anthony817
Shark Patrol

Post#12 » Tue Feb 04, 2020 5:04 pm

BRO! Do it for science! I forgot he sold it off to you! I remember hearing about it he said he sold it to somebody here! Did you get the dual analog controller mod from him too?

Edit: Holy crap! Check this out! Somebody is 3D printing their own DreamPI/HDD addon cases stands for the DC similar to that Zip Drive HDD mod idea I had.

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2838721

The-Amazing-Mr_V
Metallic

Post#13 » Tue Feb 04, 2020 8:30 pm

Any one have a 3d printer and want to make some money???

Anthony817
Shark Patrol

Post#14 » Tue Feb 04, 2020 8:39 pm

IIRC many local libraries in inner city locations in the USA allow people to 3D print things for free. I never found one close to me here in the DFW Metroplex, but I think you have to have the same city or town address on your ID card to do it. I am sure they have some limitations and stipulations on what you can print, I.E. how large items are among other things, but you could get things made for free.

peejallegiance
shadow

Post#15 » Mon Feb 24, 2020 4:10 pm

Was there anything on the disc?

Anthony817
Shark Patrol

Post#16 » Thu Sep 22, 2022 2:17 pm

runkthepunk wrote:I own the Spinksy mockup zip drive now. I bought it from him years ago so if anyone wants more pictures then give me a shout. :)

Anyway we could get those pictures? :mrgreen:

killer-elite
blackout!

Post#17 » Thu Sep 22, 2022 5:48 pm

peejallegiance wrote:Was there anything on the disc?

sorry for the late reply, I got the disc in the mail but unfortunately I do not own a Zip Drive ATM... I'm guessing its a blank being the guy who sold it had a ton for sale, I'm talking about at least a hundred...Here are some pictures I had but forgot to upload for all to enjoy !!! Also from what I remember the guy said on his listing that these where from SEGA directly when they were in talks to get the Zip Drives made and what not...I'm guessing they were samples for the Sega Execs to review/hand out to the Hardware Dev team that were going to implement it in the Dreamcast Add on that never surfaced. From what I read online Sega pulled out on the last second being they already announced stepping out of the hardware business and the hardware team couldn't figure out how to implement it (get it recognized with the dreamcast os) threw the serial bus Zip Drive add on... How true that statement is anyone's guess being Sega or Iomega hasn't really given a solid answer to what went wrong/what happend
Attachments
E6XFr-xX0AI0C4z.jpg
E6XFqB2X0AMp0yh.jpg
E6XFngfWUAciT2T.jpg

Ian Micheal
Developer

Post#18 » Thu Sep 22, 2022 6:42 pm

I know for sure this was working running mpeg video and running dc demos from the disk one of the dev team talked about it when testing .. SO they had it all done and working.. Guy posted the real complete working proto on twitter not long ago and one of the dev team.. Talked about running video from it and games..