Dreamcast Accessories That are a Combination of Memory Card and Rumble Pack

General Dreamcast discussion applies here. Before posting here please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section to see if your topic would fit better in those categories.

Moderator: mazonemayu

Forum rules
Please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section before posting here to see if your topic would fit better in those categories. Example: A new game/homebrew release would go in the New Releases/Homebrew/Emulation section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=5 or if you're having an issue with getting your Dreamcast to work or a game to boot it would go in the Support section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=42
User avatar
Nz17
Roadster
Posts: 367
Contact:

Dreamcast Accessories That are a Combination of Memory Card and Rumble Pack

Post#1 » Tue Jan 28, 2020 6:05 am

Some I know of are the following:

  1. EMS 4 Meg Rumble Pack (does not actually contain 4 megabytes nor mebibytes of memory, only 512 kibibytes despite its claims) (translucent purple) (seems to originate from Hong Kong)
  2. Joytech Advanced Jolt Pack (does not actually contain 1 megabyte nor mebibyte of memory, only 128 kibibytes despite its claims) (translucent black / gray) (seems to be British in origin)
What others are there?

User avatar
megavolt85
Dreamcast Swirl
Posts: 523

Re: Dreamcast Accessories That are a Combination of Memory Card and Rumble Pack

Post#2 » Tue Jan 28, 2020 9:54 am

128 KB = 1 Mbit
VMU has a fixed size of 128 kilobytes (1 Megabit)
If the VMU has 4 Megabits, it must have a switch memory banks button

Amorget
rebel
Posts: 19

Re: Dreamcast Accessories That are a Combination of Memory Card and Rumble Pack

Post#3 » Tue Jan 28, 2020 3:10 pm

Performance makes a 1 MBit/Rumble Pack combo. Mine are a translucent black.

This site has a great breakdown of all the options:
https://segaretro.org/Dreamcast_third-party_Jump_Packs

User avatar
Nz17
Roadster
Posts: 367
Contact:

Re: Dreamcast Accessories That are a Combination of Memory Card and Rumble Pack

Post#4 » Tue Jan 28, 2020 6:08 pm

megavolt85 wrote:128 KB = 1 Mbit
VMU has a fixed size of 128 kilobytes (1 Megabit)
If the VMU has 4 Megabits, it must have a switch memory banks button


All very true.

However, I hate how misleading these companies were and are. They throw around terms like "Meg" and "MB" trying to use ambiguity to trick people into buying products all of the time. After all, the average person uses "megabyte" more than "megabit" and so will think "Meg" meant megabyte by the company. "MB" with a capital B is supposed to stand for "MegaByte" while "Mb" with a lowercase b is supposed to stand for "Megabit," yet companies such as Joytech will toss MB on something like an Advanced Jolt Pack anyway. If they get called out about it, then they offer flimsy excuses like, "Well, what we meant was ..., so it was your fault, average consumer." It is just not ethical. If that's "really what you meant," then spell it out with the full wording instead of swindling customers with your company's intentionally ambiguous labeling!

beanboy
Vagabond
Posts: 791

Re: Dreamcast Accessories That are a Combination of Memory Card and Rumble Pack

Post#5 » Sat Feb 01, 2020 9:36 pm

Nz17 wrote:
All very true.

However, I hate how misleading these companies were and are. They throw around terms like "Meg" and "MB" trying to use ambiguity to trick people into buying products all of the time. After all, the average person uses "megabyte" more than "megabit" and so will think "Meg" meant megabyte by the company. "MB" with a capital B is supposed to stand for "MegaByte" while "Mb" with a lowercase b is supposed to stand for "Megabit,"..........

Yep.

User avatar
mistamontiel
Outrun
Posts: 1198
Contact:

Re: Dreamcast Accessories That are a Combination of Memory Card and Rumble Pack

Post#6 » Sun Feb 02, 2020 11:19 am

Don't like the toggle switch, are there any that it's the combo 24/7 all time..?

User avatar
Tarnish
stalker
Posts: 294

Re: Dreamcast Accessories That are a Combination of Memory Card and Rumble Pack

Post#7 » Sun Feb 02, 2020 11:41 am

mistamontiel wrote:Don't like the toggle switch, are there any that it's the combo 24/7 all time..?

Would that be even possible? Can the Dreamcast or the games handle both data access and rumble on a single port at the same time?

mrneo240
Sega RPG
Posts: 604

Re: Dreamcast Accessories That are a Combination of Memory Card and Rumble Pack

Post#8 » Sun Feb 02, 2020 12:16 pm

Amorget wrote:Performance makes a 1 MBit/Rumble Pack combo. Mine are a translucent black.

This site has a great breakdown of all the options:
https://segaretro.org/Dreamcast_third-party_Jump_Packs


Have 2 of those. They're flawless

User avatar
Ian Micheal
Developer
Posts: 2064
Contact:

Re: Dreamcast Accessories That are a Combination of Memory Card and Rumble Pack

Post#9 » Sun Feb 02, 2020 1:11 pm

Tarnish wrote:
mistamontiel wrote:Don't like the toggle switch, are there any that it's the combo 24/7 all time..?

Would that be even possible? Can the Dreamcast or the games handle both data access and rumble on a single port at the same time?


Yes also while doing it on 3 other controlers the maple bus is a boss no problem at all

User avatar
megavolt85
Dreamcast Swirl
Posts: 523

Re: Dreamcast Accessories That are a Combination of Memory Card and Rumble Pack

Post#10 » Sun Feb 02, 2020 1:16 pm

Tarnish wrote:Would that be even possible?


Each expansion slot allows three devices to be connected
For example, the original VMU contains three devices: memory card, lcd display and real-time clock

  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “Lounge”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users