Another Dev unit up with box n manuals n discs on yahoo auctions

General Dreamcast discussion applies here. Before posting here please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section to see if your topic would fit better in those categories.

Moderators: pcwzrd13, mazonemayu

Forum rules
Please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section before posting here to see if your topic would fit better in those categories. Example: A new game/homebrew release would go in the New Releases/Homebrew/Emulation section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=5 or if you're having an issue with getting your Dreamcast to work or a game to boot it would go in the Support section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=42
Flamiemeister
rebel

Another Dev unit up with box n manuals n discs on yahoo auctions

Post#1 » Mon Oct 28, 2019 9:54 pm

https://zenmarket.jp/en/auction.aspx?it ... d396149890

Currently at 14.5k yen (about 140 USD). The disc case is quite interesting. No idea what it is.

poopidoop
MegaDeath

Re: Another Dev unit up with box n manuals n discs on yahoo auctions

Post#2 » Mon Oct 28, 2019 11:20 pm

tell ya what. if i had the cash and i was going to buy one; if one was available from japan id very likely go with that one just because of t he overall care that generally goes with video games over there. its incredible to me.

Anthony817
Shark Patrol

Post#3 » Tue Oct 29, 2019 12:00 am

Here is the thing though. Japan USUALLY trashes older dev units and source code due to how little livable space that mostly mountainous country has. So this thing is pretty rare, unless most of them got scooped up by former devs. Western countries save dev boxes and source code because we don't have the space issue that Japan has. They really have like under 20% of the landmass livable, we have much more land available. Not Japan, they have too much of a premium on space, that even cars over 25 years old get completely destroyed. No more 90's Supra's and Skyline's they force people to keep them off the road in garages or they get destroyed.

That being said, this devkit is in IMMACULATE condition! Really something to behold. Is there a buy it now option or no? I don't speak or read Kanji, I only know about 50 words.

dreamcast ™
undertow

Post#4 » Tue Oct 29, 2019 12:39 am

Whoever had these seemingly had a large studio or had ins with those who had studios. This is around the 5th+ auction I've seen like this. At least one of the Dev.Box auctions contained game data from Daikoku Denki / Sensei - a pachinko games developer, so I'd say it's likely they're all from this developer given the quantity of those types of titles and the need to have a lot of developments going on around the same time.

The disc case is just a standard multi-disc case found on multi-disc retail DC games. The disc in that auction is SDK 1.55J. Both 1.55J and 2.00J were released over at ASSEMbler some months ago.

SMiTH
Black Mesa

Post#5 » Tue Oct 29, 2019 3:38 pm

I would love to have a katana dev box..
It is probably better off in the hands of some1 that would put it to use.

No1 uses these at all anymore for creating software using the official sdk.
Even though I doubt sega would actually care if some1 did.
KallistiOS is what everyone uses to develop on dc.

Unless there is data that can be recovered from these dev boxes, they don't offer much more than a collector trophy.
They are really cool though lol

beanboy
Wazza

Post#6 » Tue Oct 29, 2019 11:46 pm

I'm looking at it, and for some strange reason, I get the feeling that one might be more valuable, than we think. I have a suspicion it has something, the other dev kits don't have. Probably, this one might have, some incomplete rare games on it, and probably more. I could be wrong though. I wonder if the person selling it, thoroughly checked through it, to see if anything is on it?