dreamcast software development contest idea for dreamcast-talk?

General Dreamcast discussion applies here. Before posting here please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section to see if your topic would fit better in those categories.

Moderators: pcwzrd13, mazonemayu

Forum rules
Please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section before posting here to see if your topic would fit better in those categories. Example: A new game/homebrew release would go in the New Releases/Homebrew/Emulation section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=5 or if you're having an issue with getting your Dreamcast to work or a game to boot it would go in the Support section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=42
SMiTH
Black Mesa

dreamcast software development contest idea for dreamcast-talk?

Post#1 » Sat Sep 21, 2019 3:22 pm

what if the community at dreamcast-talk put together a fund raising campaign on gofundme or something similar, with the goal being to have a contest for software development on dreamcast?

the completed projects that receive the most votes after a specific deadline are awarded with prize money. maybe have a tier ranking of top 3 projects?

im not experienced in this area of running a contest/and fund raising campaigns etc. its just something i think would give developers an incentive for their hard work, skills, and talent.

chime in with your thoughts and ideas.

mrneo240
Rank 9

Re: dreamcast software development contest idea for dreamcast-talk?

Post#2 » Sun Sep 22, 2019 6:20 pm

sure, send money to my paypal. thanks

SMiTH
Black Mesa

Post#3 » Sun Sep 22, 2019 6:23 pm

mrneo240 wrote:sure, send money to my paypal. thanks

lol, no doubt you deserve appreciation for all of the dreamcast projects you have done.
i am very impressed by your work for sure.

i did see a thread over at dcemulation where they currently have a dreamcast homebrew contest.
the winner gets their project pressed to a disk.
very cool.
i was unaware of this contest.
it would be great if we could do something similar here at dreamcast-talk in the future.

there was a contest for original xbox homebrew years ago.
a prize of $2000 dollars.
the contest was to see who could develop the best n64 emulator for og xbox.

modern vintage gamer talked about the homebrew contest in this video.
he also talks about how he developed homebrew for xbox, and how he improved his coding in various projects over time.
btw he won the contest.. :)
super cool stuff.

Ian Micheal
Developer

Post#4 » Sun Sep 22, 2019 10:56 pm

I think it's a great idea be nice to open it up to something thats not just games emulator ports apps video players api's

SMiTH
Black Mesa

Post#5 » Mon Sep 23, 2019 1:08 am

Ian Micheal wrote:I think it's a great idea be nice to open it up to something thats not just games emulator ports apps video players api's

agreed x255

Anthony817
Shark Patrol

Post#6 » Mon Sep 23, 2019 2:14 am

MVG is such a great dude. He has done a ton for the OG Xbox community as well as has a great deal of love and affection for the Dreamcast and homebrew community as well. Love his channel.

I think it is a great idea to have some contest or something for homebrew devs. However I can't spare time to run it. I use my free time to mod Battlefield 2 historical total conversion mods I have been working on since 2016 and on mod 3 now deep into development making an HD remake of Battlefield 1942. Battlefield V was not what fans wanted, plus I started working on it 3 months before BF5 was ever even announced.

One day maybe I can find the time to develop mods on Dreamcast. Half-Life is what I want to look at one day, but with mrneo240 making a great hardware accelerated port of Quake 1 that can be modded, maybe I can eventually look into that for a potential engine for modding. It is similar to Half-Life as HL was based on Quake in the first place, so similar tools.

My biggest want on Dreamcast is a kick ass WW2 FPS. As the WW2 FPS fad kicked off around the time of the DC, but it only ever got a few games before it really took off. I plan on making a WW2 FPS on DC using the Day of Defeat assets from Half-Life 1 and that game and seeing what can be done. I am just elbow deep into the asshole of Battlefield 2 modding to be able to do it at the moment.

Sorry, shamless plug.

https://www.moddb.com/mods/battlefield-1944

SMiTH
Black Mesa

Post#7 » Mon Sep 23, 2019 2:33 am

we just need more people to chime in about a proposed dc homebrew contest.
if others @ dct can come up with ideas on howto accomplish this, it would be great for the entire community.
i think devs would have more incentive to complete software projects for dreamcast if there is a contest.
it might also get people from outside the dreamcast community to join up and create something truly epic.
software developers need to be rewarded for their efforts, and this would do just that.

there is no such thing as a shameless plug...
well maybe kanye west at vma's w/ taylor swift lol
you should be proud of your work anthony.
share it without hesitation.
a good idea would be to put it in your signature so its plugged everywhere you post.
here ill plug it again for ya...

Anthony817
Shark Patrol

Post#8 » Mon Sep 23, 2019 5:16 am

I will post the video I am listening to whilst drunk because it just feels right. :lol:

Anyways, I did put my Battlefield: Korea mod in my signature over at Assembler, only because there is no other Korean War FPS on the planet. And I guess I made the first. I just haven't released this WW2 era one yet.

But yeah man, the homebrew developers need to get some love too.

SMiTH
Black Mesa

Post#9 » Mon Sep 23, 2019 5:24 am

Anthony817 wrote:I will post the video I am listening to whilst drunk because it just feels right. :lol:

Anyways, I did put my Battlefield: Korea mod in my signature over at Assembler, only because there is no other Korean War FPS on the planet. And I guess I made the first. I just haven't released this WW2 era one yet.

But yeah man, the homebrew developers need to get some love too.

its hard to believe that jefferson starship evolved from this:

One pill makes you larger, and one pill makes you small
And the ones that mother gives you, don't do anything at all
Go ask Alice, when she's ten feet tall

Ian Micheal
Developer

Post#10 » Mon Sep 23, 2019 9:32 am

Anthony817 wrote:MVG is such a great dude. He has done a ton for the OG Xbox community as well as has a great deal of love and affection for the Dreamcast and homebrew community as well. Love his channel.

I think it is a great idea to have some contest or something for homebrew devs. However I can't spare time to run it. I use my free time to mod Battlefield 2 historical total conversion mods I have been working on since 2016 and on mod 3 now deep into development making an HD remake of Battlefield 1942. Battlefield V was not what fans wanted, plus I started working on it 3 months before BF5 was ever even announced.

One day maybe I can find the time to develop mods on Dreamcast. Half-Life is what I want to look at one day, but with mrneo240 making a great hardware accelerated port of Quake 1 that can be modded, maybe I can eventually look into that for a potential engine for modding. It is similar to Half-Life as HL was based on Quake in the first place, so similar tools.

My biggest want on Dreamcast is a kick ass WW2 FPS. As the WW2 FPS fad kicked off around the time of the DC, but it only ever got a few games before it really took off. I plan on making a WW2 FPS on DC using the Day of Defeat assets from Half-Life 1 and that game and seeing what can be done. I am just elbow deep into the asshole of Battlefield 2 modding to be able to do it at the moment.

Sorry, shamless plug.

There is Half life quake port for quake 1 https://github.com/autonomous1/quakelife I have had it running on radquake all src is there my freind You could use many quake 1 engines even bero's or quakedc radquake nuquake other's as well all the hardware rendering quake 1 engines on dreamcast are 320x200 scaled to 640x480 res is still 320x200 for the textures i could be wrong but i dont think so