question about paint

General Dreamcast discussion applies here. Before posting here please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section to see if your topic would fit better in those categories.

Moderators: pcwzrd13, mazonemayu

Forum rules
Please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section before posting here to see if your topic would fit better in those categories. Example: A new game/homebrew release would go in the New Releases/Homebrew/Emulation section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=5 or if you're having an issue with getting your Dreamcast to work or a game to boot it would go in the Support section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=42
dreamcast459
fire

question about paint

Post#1 » Thu Sep 05, 2019 4:49 am

so im wanting to use spray paint to do a custom paint job on my dream cast but i have some questions

#1 im not sure what type of spray paint to use and #2 since i live in a very small apartment complex i need paint that can dry or at least set fast enough for me to be able to cary the console inside put it inside a box and seal it till it dries.

i dont have a balcony or patio so i cant leave it outside and since im gonna spray it in the parking lot i need to be able to get it inside asap any ideas or guides nothing to fancy just wanna do some simple colors also im prolly gonna clear coat it once its dry

Roel
Developer

Re: question about paint

Post#2 » Thu Sep 05, 2019 10:08 am

Acrylic paints are practically odourless, quick to dry and you can buy them just about anywhere.

In my experience, though, their water-based nature means they don't adhere to plastics nearly as well as alkyd enamel paints. But those have a strong smell (bad for your health too) and take much longer to dry.

Anthony817
Shark Patrol

Re: question about paint

Post#3 » Thu Sep 05, 2019 1:02 pm

I recently painted my top shell black to kind of match my smoke grey controller. I used some normal krylon paint and let it set for a day after painting 1 coat and then did another. It only slightly ran on the front, but I might sand it down and try it again. I still need to get some clear coat to lock the paint in and protect it from scratches and dust. I live in a very dusty environment in North Central Texas so dist can adhere to it easily when drying. I just had to make sure to keep it protected from the dust in the air.

Maybe just paint it on some newspaper on the ground in a not too windy spot, and then place inside the box immediately after done and take back inside.