Storing Dreamcast games (and games in general)

General Dreamcast discussion applies here. Before posting here please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section to see if your topic would fit better in those categories.

Moderators: pcwzrd13, mazonemayu

Forum rules
Please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section before posting here to see if your topic would fit better in those categories. Example: A new game/homebrew release would go in the New Releases/Homebrew/Emulation section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=5 or if you're having an issue with getting your Dreamcast to work or a game to boot it would go in the Support section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=42
louis012345678
Doom

Storing Dreamcast games (and games in general)

Post#1 » Sun Aug 04, 2019 7:02 am

Hi everyone, hopefully this is the right section of the forum...
Next month I am off to university which leaves me with one problem... WHERE DO I PUT MY GAMES!??!
The likelihood is that they will end up in the attic so I was wondering if anyone has done the same thing and if they have, is it OK to leave games (and consoles) in an attic for an extended period of time? I'm in the UK so temperatures aren't as hot as say, the US and the games will be stored in suitcases and plastic containers.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated :-)
Attachments
DSC_0077.JPG
DSC_0072.JPG

HuntrRose
Vagabond

Re: Storing Dreamcast games (and games in general)

Post#2 » Sun Aug 04, 2019 9:56 am

I would not put consoles or cartridge games in an unfinished attic or basement..

poopidoop
MegaDeath

Post#3 » Sun Aug 04, 2019 10:22 am

somewhere without extreme temps hot or cold. you dont want humidity and make sure they're protected from sunlight even if its just coming through a window. I would definitely pack anything you care about yourself and put it where you want it to be yourself, that way nothing can go wrong until after you leave lol.

Anthony817
Shark Patrol

Post#4 » Sun Aug 04, 2019 11:41 am

I left my backups of homebrew in a shed for over 5 years and really regretted it. I had most discs develop disc rot and many things have now been lost to the internet, where most of my Bleemed games no longer being hosted anywhere. So I was unable to rip them and make more iso's to share. However, I do live in a place with both very humid and hot times of the year, as well as temperatures dropping well below freezing in my North Central Texas location. So with fluctuations between -6c to 35c, I guess that is pretty extreme.

Keep them in your old room or in a closet inside of those airtight bins in a climate controlled place. You will thank yourself in 5 years when you return from school and want too play it again.

dark
Shark Patrol

Post#5 » Sun Aug 04, 2019 1:37 pm

I had my dc stuff in storage for like 6+ years when I went to college and did other things for awhile. I just put them into large cardboard boxes so they would take up less room, not be exposed to direct sunlight, and not make the room look messy, and then I kept those boxes in my old bedroom in my parent's house.

Popped them out later when I was interested in DC again and everything was basically just as I'd left it.

Your collection doesn't look suuuuuuper huge, I bet you can find a way to easily store it, maybe under your bed? In the alternative, maybe bring some of that stuff to college with you? It's been awhile since I was in college, but lots of people had consoles and games.

louis012345678
Doom

Post#6 » Sun Aug 04, 2019 1:42 pm

Well this is just my retro SEGA and Nintendo stuff. There is a lot more (playstation and xbox games) not shown in the images. My brother is having my bedroom as soon as I leave (he is currently in a small box bedroom) so unfortunately there isn't enough space to store my games in what will be my bedroom.

dark
Shark Patrol

Post#7 » Sun Aug 04, 2019 4:58 pm

I'm sure you've thought of all of this - but could you use your bro's old bedroom as storage? Or see how much you can store underneath a bed?

Failing that, maybe you can get your brother interested in these old games, and that way he'll just keep them out in the open in his new room :)

Consider also taking the fraction of stuff you care the most about with you to college. It'll be a comfort to spend some time with it every now and then, and a comfort that you know it's not degrading.

mazonemayu
Agent Provocateur

Post#8 » Mon Aug 05, 2019 1:57 pm

The temperature paranoia thing is overrated, half the folks who have a dedicated man cave, have it in their attic (myself included), and you rarely hear em complaining about stuff dying on em from heat. That being said, there’s also folks with huge collections in Africa, the Middle East, South America & Australia, and I’m pretty sure it’s way hotter over there in summer than over here :mrgreen:
We are SEGA generation.

Subscribe:

https://youtube.com/user/mazonemayu <———gameplay vids be here

Visit:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/150479343@N06/albums <—-collection piccies here

HuntrRose
Vagabond

Post#9 » Mon Aug 05, 2019 2:12 pm

your mancave is an unfinished attic?

mazonemayu
Agent Provocateur

Post#10 » Mon Aug 05, 2019 2:25 pm

Did I say that? But it remains a fact that an attic always gets warmer than the rest of the house during summer, no matter how heavy you isolate it, for the simple reason that heat goes up. I have a brand new house, isolated with the best materials currently on the market, but the attic still gets a few degrees warmer than the rest of the house during summer, which is only logical.
We are SEGA generation.

Subscribe:

https://youtube.com/user/mazonemayu <———gameplay vids be here

Visit:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/150479343@N06/albums <—-collection piccies here