Retrobit DC controller update

General Dreamcast discussion applies here. Before posting here please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section to see if your topic would fit better in those categories.

Moderators: pcwzrd13, mazonemayu

Forum rules
Please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section before posting here to see if your topic would fit better in those categories. Example: A new game/homebrew release would go in the New Releases/Homebrew/Emulation section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=5 or if you're having an issue with getting your Dreamcast to work or a game to boot it would go in the Support section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=42
Ragfish
St.Jimmy

Re: Retrobit DC controller update

Post#81 » Wed Oct 19, 2022 9:58 am

MikeStutzzzz wrote:wonder if the holdup is getting the analog right on the dc controller since it doesn't work like all the controllers today.

The analog stick on the saturn was pretty similar, but either way I have a feeling they're just gonna go with modern potentiometers rather than actually recreate that.

But yeah, the real question is how accurate they can get the sticks to the original range and sensitivity of the oem sticks that games were designed around, as this tends to be a hard thing for aftermarket controllers to get right (example: literally any non oem N64 controller)

Impulse
Admin

Post#82 » Thu Oct 20, 2022 2:56 am

This pops into my head every once in a while. Still waiting for it...

My main controller still feels fresh but I wouldn't mind getting a brand new, oem style wireless dc controller.
-Impulse

Alex_DC
dark night

Post#83 » Thu Oct 20, 2022 7:45 am

I feel like the hall-effect style analogue sticks like the DC controller had are more durable than the modern potentiometer units. Plus they had a nice light feel. Maybe they are not as accurate though? Or perhaps they are just more expensive in hardware terms? Always wondered why companies moved on to potentiometers.

Ragfish
St.Jimmy

Post#84 » Thu Oct 20, 2022 4:15 pm

Alex_DC wrote:I feel like the hall-effect style analogue sticks like the DC controller had are more durable than the modern potentiometer units.

I've seen a lot of people say this recently and I wish I could say the same. But speaking anecdotally I own 4 oem Dreamcast controllers and all of them have sticks with noticeable deadzones, making it very hard to do precise movements in racing games.

Roel
Developer

Post#85 » Fri Oct 21, 2022 2:47 am

Alex_DC wrote:Maybe they are not as accurate though?

Au contraire.

The sticks on other console manufacturers' controllers have a significant "dead zone" around both the middle and the edges, where the accuracy is too poor for the input to be meaningful. IIRC, about 20% of their range is unusable.

The DC's sticks, on the other hand, are super accurate. Testing on my own controllers showed that the stick always moves back to exactly 0 when released, and it always hits exactly -128 or +127 (the range of a single-byte value) at the very edges. That is an incredible feat of engineering!

Alex_DC
dark night

Post#86 » Mon Oct 24, 2022 4:59 am

Roel wrote:
Alex_DC wrote:Maybe they are not as accurate though?

Au contraire.

The sticks on other console manufacturers' controllers have a significant "dead zone" around both the middle and the edges, where the accuracy is too poor for the input to be meaningful. IIRC, about 20% of their range is unusable.

The DC's sticks, on the other hand, are super accurate. Testing on my own controllers showed that the stick always moves back to exactly 0 when released, and it always hits exactly -128 or +127 (the range of a single-byte value) at the very edges. That is an incredible feat of engineering!

I've never had an issue with DC sticks accuracy either, just postulating on why everyone else moved to potentiometers, which seem to me to be far more mechanically prone to wear (maybe that answers my question...!). The DC analogue is so smooth as well, not suffering from the 'bump' around centre which requires some force to overcome, affecting accuracy around that point. Of course games can be developed around that, but I digress. I've always been able to bring back any less-than-perfectly smooth DC analogue sticks by disassembling, cleaning and applying a little Molykote EM-30L. Buttery smooth again. They are not like the N64 sticks!

I do worry that any third-party pads will go to potentiometer (parts availability) and then feel different to the original in play.

Tarnish
Prince of Persia

Post#87 » Mon Oct 24, 2022 6:04 am

Alex_DC wrote:I do worry that any third-party pads will go to potentiometer (parts availability) and then feel different to the original in play.

Let's be honest though, that won't deter too many people. Most people will see "Wireless" and that's all they'll care about.

Like when those replacement 3rd party PSUs popped up, "Less heat" was all they needed to see. Whether it fries their entire console down the line, basically nobody cared about.

OGDCFAN99
Arabian Night

Post#88 » Thu Oct 27, 2022 2:24 pm

Tarnish wrote:
Alex_DC wrote:I do worry that any third-party pads will go to potentiometer (parts availability) and then feel different to the original in play.

Let's be honest though, that won't deter too many people. Most people will see "Wireless" and that's all they'll care about.

Like when those replacement 3rd party PSUs popped up, "Less heat" was all they needed to see. Whether it fries their entire console down the line, basically nobody cared about.

Just like the Noctua silent fan mod. "No noise" is all they needed to see, even though it only moves about half of the air :lol: :roll:

Tarnish
Prince of Persia

Post#89 » Thu Oct 27, 2022 4:39 pm

OGDCFAN99 wrote:Just like the Noctua silent fan mod. "No noise" is all they needed to see, even though it only moves about half of the air :lol: :roll:

Wow, even that one has drawbacks? Good to know.

OGDCFAN99
Arabian Night

Post#90 » Thu Oct 27, 2022 5:30 pm

Yeah I don't think anyone's ever talked about it, and I'm speaking anecdotally, but yes, holding your hand by the exhaust vent...you can feel how weak the flow of air is compared to the stock "noisy" fan. I've even tried it on 4 different consoles just to be sure.