Japanese Model

General Dreamcast discussion applies here. Before posting here please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section to see if your topic would fit better in those categories.

Moderators: pcwzrd13, mazonemayu

Forum rules
Please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section before posting here to see if your topic would fit better in those categories. Example: A new game/homebrew release would go in the New Releases/Homebrew/Emulation section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=5 or if you're having an issue with getting your Dreamcast to work or a game to boot it would go in the Support section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=42
ThatDudeHenrik
shadow

Japanese Model

Post#1 » Sun Jun 09, 2019 4:12 am

Recently, I bought a Japanese Dreamcast. The person I bought from told me that it can only play Original Dreamcast discs. At first I was being a little bit skeptic, until I see the images from the seller. Since this is a Japanese model, I couldn't verify that it was made after October 2000 (because of the different info sticker underneath it). And what's weird is that on the front of the console, instead of having a white transparent piece of plastic (like any other Japanese model would), it has the American gray piece. But I still buy it anyway. When the console has arrived, I noticed it was actually a Japanese model and I know that from the AC port behind it (the seller didn't send me an image behind the console). When I finnaly got it to work on my TV, I immediately insert a burned game and test it out. The result is: didn't work. After that, I tried a lot of method such as: burn the games with ImgBurn, DiscJuggler; use the Utopia Boot Disc v1.2, v1.5; tried a Japanese game on it (I haven't but I'm going to do it), and it just didn't work. Help me out guys!

Also, I have to use an additional power brick to lower the electricity that the Dreamcast was taking from 220 Volts to 110 Volts.

OGDCFAN99
Arabian Night

Re: Japanese Model

Post#2 » Tue Jun 11, 2019 8:05 pm

It might be one of the very few REV 2 consoles that actually doesn't play burned games. REV 2 Dreamcast models' GD ROM drive lacks the external daughterboard underneath and the drive is mounted directly to the motherboard. If yours appears to be a REV 2, chances are you're out of luck and even modifying the bios won't help. Generally people just say all VA2 units don't play burned games, but that's not 100%

If its a REV 0 or 1, the laser probably just needs to be cleaned or adjusted. There are tons of threads and youtube videos covering this.

If its a REV 0 or 1 and that STILL diddn't work lol, it probably has alot of hours played on it and the laser is weak and needs to be replaced.

Hopes this helps