Warning About USB-GDROM Expiring Firmware

General Dreamcast discussion applies here. Before posting here please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section to see if your topic would fit better in those categories.

Moderators: pcwzrd13, mazonemayu

Forum rules
Please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section before posting here to see if your topic would fit better in those categories. Example: A new game/homebrew release would go in the New Releases/Homebrew/Emulation section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=5 or if you're having an issue with getting your Dreamcast to work or a game to boot it would go in the Support section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=42
pcwzrd13
Seen Any Sailors?

Warning About USB-GDROM Expiring Firmware

Post#1 » Thu Jun 06, 2019 9:34 am

I thought it would be a good idea to post this here as a warning to anyone that's thinking of buying a USB-GDROM. I've long suspected this was a thing but didn't have solid proof until now. Mnemo has implemented what is essentially self-destructing firmware into his USB-GDROM devices. After a certain amount of time, the device will stop working (you'll get a "Firmware Obsolete" message when trying to run a game) and require you to update the firmware. This is a security measure he implemented to prevent cloning. A very bad one though. If he ever disappears and doesn't release periodic firmware updates, USB-GDROMs will start dropping like flies.

There's a thread on Twitter talking about this right now which contains confirmation from Mnemo himself that this is true. I should note that this seems to have been implemented in a later firmware update so if you're still on an old one, it's best not to update. Mnemo claims he will release an update to remove this "firmware expiry" but we'll see. In the meantime, it's probably best to avoid buying one.
PSO Characters:
Teal'c - lvl 119 HUcast - GC# 11666
Alto - lvl 39 FOnewm - GC# 12964

YouTube Channel : Dreamcast Live

ERVOSCV
Anarki

Re: Warning About USB-GDROM Expiring Firmware

Post#2 » Thu Jun 06, 2019 12:18 pm

This is sad news to wake up to. Been lagging on getting a gdemu from for quite some time now, still want one if the expiry can be avoided. Worst case scenario: if mnemonic is struck by lightning or vanishes, what is the next best option? The SDcard route?

Caspian
core

Post#3 » Thu Jun 06, 2019 12:22 pm

I guess he'd better change his/her alias name if he/she ever thinks about releasing anything Dreamcast-related.

poopidoop
MegaDeath

Post#4 » Thu Jun 06, 2019 12:44 pm

Yet another reason gdemu clone is king

ERVOSCV
Anarki

Post#5 » Thu Jun 06, 2019 12:56 pm

poopidoop wrote:Yet another reason gdemu clone is king

I'm a little confused, I was reading the twitter thread and people are saying the same thing. Are gdemu clones free of this whole expiring firmware issue?

pcwzrd13
Seen Any Sailors?

Post#6 » Thu Jun 06, 2019 12:58 pm

ERVOSCV wrote:I'm a little confused, I was reading the twitter thread and people are saying the same thing. Are gdemu clones free of this whole expiring firmware issue?

GDEMU and USB-GDROM are two different products.
PSO Characters:
Teal'c - lvl 119 HUcast - GC# 11666
Alto - lvl 39 FOnewm - GC# 12964

YouTube Channel : Dreamcast Live

ERVOSCV
Anarki

Post#7 » Thu Jun 06, 2019 1:14 pm

pcwzrd13 wrote:GDEMU and USB-GDROM are two different products.

I think I'm dyslexic. Or just an idiot. Thanks, I'm out.

Xiden
Developer

Post#8 » Thu Jun 06, 2019 1:19 pm

I agree mnemo should have disclosed this information first. I've been in contact with Mnemo quite a bit. He does plan to remove the time expiration firmware soon, and he has been true to his word so I have no reason to doubt him. Worst case, Ill buy a dcio or gdemu. But Usb-gdrom has 100% dc library compatibility(minus bleem) that the other solutions do not offer (Like D2 disc swapping for example). So for now it's the best you can get. Until my unit bricks and mnemo disappears, I have no reason to believe otherwise.

mistamontiel
Shark Patrol

Post#9 » Thu Jun 06, 2019 1:27 pm

G+C D master race xD

AgentMomo
Prince of Persia

Post#10 » Sun Jun 30, 2019 6:10 pm

Hi guys I'm glad I found this thread 1st , I was eying this smaller basically slimmer one.

But I'm afraid it's not lifelong product like you guys are saying.

Can someone please shoot me the store link for the real deal only. Thanks.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/MagiDeal-TF-SD ... 0005.m1851