I finally got a GDEMU but the Mad Sheep Tool isn't working.

General Dreamcast discussion applies here. Before posting here please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section to see if your topic would fit better in those categories.

Moderators: pcwzrd13, mazonemayu

Forum rules
Please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section before posting here to see if your topic would fit better in those categories. Example: A new game/homebrew release would go in the New Releases/Homebrew/Emulation section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=5 or if you're having an issue with getting your Dreamcast to work or a game to boot it would go in the Support section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=42
HonkBlast
noob

I finally got a GDEMU but the Mad Sheep Tool isn't working.

Post#1 » Sun May 26, 2019 1:34 am

I recently got a GDEMU but the Mad Sheep Tool that everyone says to use for a speedy menu isn't working for me. See the attached pic. I'm a .net developer myself, to me it looks like the File Open Dialogue was coded incorrectly. When you pick a file, the exception states that it can't find that file - but it lists the DIRECTORY as the file it's looking for. Surely this tool worked at some point because everyone recommends it.

Does anyone have a working version of the tool or another solution? I got this one from http://sheep.host22.com/

megavolt85
Developer

Re: I finally got a GDEMU but the Mad Sheep Tool isn't working.

Post#2 » Sun May 26, 2019 6:14 am

i'm look only *.gdi files, where trackXX.bin(raw) ?
every image it is necessary to unpack in the separate folder

Tarnish
Prince of Persia

Post#3 » Sun May 26, 2019 7:11 am

What Megavolt said. You need to extract each game in its separate folder with all the other files besides the .gdi, like this:
GDI.jpg

livingonwheels
lithium

Post#4 » Sun May 26, 2019 9:17 am

I've just begun using this tool also, and also have issues with it. As it was listing the games on my 32gb card, some folders were listed as "Null". The tool actually erased about a dozen of my games without warning. Some games which are very hard to come by. Luckily I have an extensive physical Dreamcast collection and was able to rip myself new copies. This time I made a backup of my card before using the tool, and tried it again. Same thing happened, games were deleted from my card.

Sega1Dream
Donated

Post#5 » Sun May 26, 2019 9:56 am

What drive are you running the program on? I had a similar issue, because I run programs on a slave drive on not the OS drive. Once I ran the program in my c:/documents folder, I was able to pull the GDI games off my NAS without any problems.

As a side note, program works great. I have a 128GB SD card with all the games I need on it. Loads up in no time! :)

livingonwheels
lithium

Post#6 » Sun May 26, 2019 10:02 am

I was not running it on my OS drive (C). I have 3 or 4 drives in my PC and was using one of my secondary drives where I store games. I could try moving the program over to my C drive and see what happens.
EDIT:
No change. I have the tool on my C drive, ran the program, it sees most of my games between 41-60 as empty(it didn't list games 55 & 58 as empty). I have 60 folders on my sd card by the way.
It has the "empty" games listed in the tool as "-EMPTY FOLDER- " on the left, and "Null" on the right. Curiously, under "size" it does show the games correct size. I presume that if I click "save" in the tool, my games will be deleted again.

mrneo240
Rank 9

Post#7 » Sun May 26, 2019 11:52 am

You don't need to use the tool to use the gdemu

Sega1Dream
Donated

Post#8 » Sun May 26, 2019 5:16 pm

When using the tool to add games it saves a text document to the SD card, for the GDEMU to read the file names really quick. The text document is populated when you use the tool to add games. If you have a pre-existing SD card with games on it, that were added by the Mad Sheep program, then the program does not work correctly. You have to start fresh with a clean, empty FAT32 SD card.

megavolt85
Developer

Post#9 » Sun May 26, 2019 5:49 pm

GDEMU don't read this file
need build GDMENU with this file, cfg used by GDMENU
software don't have access to SD card

Zero1219
shadow

Post#10 » Sat Jun 27, 2020 3:20 am

Sorry to bring something back up... and it is sort of the same but different.

My SD card maker program has always worked fine. Yet just today when I used it the Menu option box was grayed out. I added some games and removed some. Hit save and when on my Dreamcast, it shows the exact same list as before. Example, Tony hawks pro skater 2 it read... but it was really Wacky Races.
It said Bomberman Online but loaded Cannon Spike.

I tried redownloading the SD card maker. Scanning my SD card for errors. double checked how all my games are named and its all good on that end. It just "poof" stopped working. Probably some kind of update or something on windows enabled or disabled something somewhere that messed with it.

I seen a few others mention the same thing rather recently with no answers yet. Only thing I can think of is to really plan out what games I wanna play.... completely erase my card, then start from scratch every time I wanna add stuff and still have it be fast using the tool.

Sorry for the long post.