Can someone explain the ide mod

General Dreamcast discussion applies here. Before posting here please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section to see if your topic would fit better in those categories.

Moderators: pcwzrd13, mazonemayu

Forum rules
Please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section before posting here to see if your topic would fit better in those categories. Example: A new game/homebrew release would go in the New Releases/Homebrew/Emulation section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=5 or if you're having an issue with getting your Dreamcast to work or a game to boot it would go in the Support section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=42
dodo1867
lithium

Re: Can someone explain the ide mod

Post#11 » Sun Mar 10, 2019 4:07 pm

I actually did dragoncity on eBay you just sent me a link to your website which from the other post above I have pointed out that at least the translation google gave to me was a bit strange. But I think I may go with a different route and keep the gd rom (mainly because I don't want to tackle the whole bios mod yet maybe in the future) and use your GD-IDE instead I bought a broken Karaoke unit for this well the seller listed it as broken because he didn't have the mic for it and use that to put all the mods I plan to do to my Dreamcast in. I am happy to report my first mod is done and I quite like it I bought one of those color changing rgb led and replaced the stock led with it quite like how it looks and yesterday placed an order for a new battery and fuse, the stock battery is dead.
Last edited by dodo1867 on Sun Mar 10, 2019 5:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Anthony817
Shark Patrol

Post#12 » Sun Mar 10, 2019 5:03 pm

PLEASE show pictures of your mod! I wanted an IDE modded DC with one of those! You could take and put in a broken zipdrive for looks, as well as a USB y splitter maybe with adapter to transfer games to it? I don;t know how feasible it would be but an old user by the name of Spinksy from here did just that.

Please forgive the potato quality picture, it was done back in like 2010-11 and nobody saved HD images of it or his Dual analog mod.

dodo1867
lithium

Post#13 » Mon Mar 11, 2019 2:02 am

Oh, I will when it gets here from Japan, I already have many of when I first open the console the heavy metal construction of the rev 0 is very pretty at least to me to look at especially the little metal fan got a laugh out of it. Question tho about what you mention you said USB y splitter are you referring to playing games save on a floppy disk? or transferring save game data to floppy disk? either way that would be interesting knowing how he did it and it could be interfaced with something like dreamshell. Another curious question would be did he consider a UMD drive from something like a PSP extremely compact and small or a more common minidisc drive both that have more capacity then floppy.
Edit: found Spinksy ebay still seems active sent him a message to ask him more information on it.

Anthony817
Shark Patrol

Post#14 » Mon Mar 11, 2019 2:38 am

Nah man, the floppy looking thing was just to emulate the look of the official Zip drive prototype that never released. It was a partnership Sega and Iomega, the creators of the Zip drive format worked on for storing more internet files and cookies for web pages and favorites ect. Just some type of addon that gave you more storage space than the typical internal flash memory of the console.

The Dreamcast Zip Drive was an unreleased add-on that was due to release in Autumn 2000. Co-developed by SEGA and Iomega, the device would give users access to 100mb zip disks to allow for greater storage space for browsing the internet and downloading additional game content like maps for Quake III Arena. The add-on connects to the Dreamcast via its expansion port and power input, requiring you to then power your Dreamcast using the zip drive’s power input. The zip drive also features a USB slot on the front which would have given users access to more peripherals that never came to pass.

But in the post above, a person bought the Karaoke unit, which had the same exact shell, gutted it, and modded a zipdrive to fit inside the space to look like the actual prototype.

I was just wishfully thinking that a person could rig up some type of USB y-splitter to use like it shows the official prototype had and connect it to a hard drive somehow to transfer data without having to take the damn thing apart to add games. This makes no sense really since honestly I know of no way to let a single HDD work both from USB and the SATA/IDE interface. Some sort of adapter would have to be developed. It was just wishful thinking really.

dodo1867
lithium

Post#15 » Mon Mar 11, 2019 3:09 am

Oh ok, I get what you mean now. Adding games to the HDD was something that I completely skipped over, it does seem like a pain in the butt having to take it apart every time you want to add a game maybe redesigning the front faceplate and 3d printing it with a flap that open and close allowing you to insert and take out the hdd like on the newer 360 console would be the best route to take from this picture Image it does seem like the front faceplate can just slide off.

Return to “Lounge”