My latest Dreamcast mod, PS4 joystick swap

General Dreamcast discussion applies here. Before posting here please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section to see if your topic would fit better in those categories.

Moderators: pcwzrd13, mazonemayu

Forum rules
Please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section before posting here to see if your topic would fit better in those categories. Example: A new game/homebrew release would go in the New Releases/Homebrew/Emulation section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=5 or if you're having an issue with getting your Dreamcast to work or a game to boot it would go in the Support section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=42
Anthony817
Shark Patrol

My latest Dreamcast mod, PS4 joystick swap

Post#1 » Mon Jan 07, 2019 8:18 pm

Pretty much a drop in replacement. The hole for the stick to slide over the peg inside the controller is an exact fit as far as shape and width goes, but it is about 2 millimeters too shallow, so I had to take a hand file and go slowly until I had about 2mm shaved off the peg of the Dreamcast controller. It took a few test fits until it was freely able to move about. Now I have way more grip in games, and everything feels more accurate overall.

In the past I have done a similar mod with Xbox 360 sticks, but they never fit right for me without a lot of hacking needing to be done. These are the best fit by far, feels like a stock fit for sure. The 360 sticks used to get caught on the underside of the top part controller shell.

The exact ones I ordered were from here.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2pc-Replacemen ... 2749.l2649

mistamontiel
Shark Patrol

Re: My latest Dreamcast mod, PS4 joystick swap

Post#2 » Tue Jan 08, 2019 12:08 am

Wow ye actually use the underside clip so its cord "spits out the top" xD I panic to see any cords being stressed

n1

Tarnish
Prince of Persia

Post#3 » Tue Jan 08, 2019 3:22 am

Just a word of warning, I did the same to one of my controllers, and nowadays it looks like this:
20180228_222321.jpg

Apparently the thicker stick shaft has a chance to grind against the top shell. So maybe not do it with a brand spanking new controller that you're really fond of.

Anthony817
Shark Patrol

Post#4 » Tue Jan 08, 2019 3:47 am

Damn ouch! Thanks for the advice! I have 2 other controllers here I might swap the mod out on instead. Although, I had used xbox 360 sticks in the past and never had that problem. Boy, it really did eat into the thumbstick shaft deep!

Tarnish
Prince of Persia

Post#5 » Tue Jan 08, 2019 4:05 am

I never heard anyone mention this either, but this is my personal experience with the mod. Maybe various manufacturers make different shaft thickness, but the PS4 stick definitely has a lot thicker shaft by design compared to the DC one.

The shell eating into the shaft wouldn't be that much of a problem, my bigger gripe is the shaft also slowly eats away the shell itself. At least that's what 3-4 years of Jet Grind Radio, Propeller Arena and other games did to my controller. =P

I didn't care that much, since I did it to a standard white controller that already had battle scars anyway, but doing it to a brand new limited edition/rare controller might not be the best idea.