Outtrigger really triggers me

General Dreamcast discussion applies here. Before posting here please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section to see if your topic would fit better in those categories.

Moderators: pcwzrd13, mazonemayu

Forum rules
Please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section before posting here to see if your topic would fit better in those categories. Example: A new game/homebrew release would go in the New Releases/Homebrew/Emulation section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=5 or if you're having an issue with getting your Dreamcast to work or a game to boot it would go in the Support section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=42
Wombat
Vagabond

Re: Outtrigger really triggers me

Post#11 » Wed Oct 17, 2018 6:01 am

Chael wrote:Welp it's an arcade game that was meant to be played with twin stick + trackball.

To be accurate, twin stick + trackball. Fixed 8-)

Actually you can use a Dreamcast Twin Stick + mouse to get a configuration that mimics the arcade controls... at least as close as you can get without modding.

The-Amazing-Mr_V
Metallic

Post#12 » Wed Oct 17, 2018 12:02 pm

What about this controller?
Attachments
f1ea_1.JPG
f1ea_1.JPG (28.62 KiB) Viewed 6366 times

mrneo240
Rank 9

Post#13 » Wed Oct 17, 2018 4:53 pm

I thought the same until I got a kb+m.

Used to cause frustration and anger, now I feel like I'm the king of outtrigger.

Very very different game when played with proper controls

dark
Shark Patrol

Post#14 » Wed Oct 17, 2018 7:53 pm

My friend got this game for his birthday in 2001. We eagerly set up a 4 player deathmatch with four of us friends playing. My three friends despised the controls - I didn't have any problem with them from the get go and don't mind them. In fact I kind of like the idea of using the triggers to turn.

Tarnish
Prince of Persia

Post#15 » Thu Oct 18, 2018 5:15 am

mrneo240 wrote:I thought the same until I got a kb+m.

Used to cause frustration and anger, now I feel like I'm the king of outtrigger.

Sadly for me it's not just the controls that are frustrating, there are other little things that annoy me.

1: Most of the maps are either way too small and open, or are way too convolutedly designed to be really enjoyable. I feel very few stages in the game get a right mix of size and variety of closed/open sections.

2: The music doesn't really fit the fast paced action of the game.

3: The sound effects are pretty bland and boring, they lack personality and punch.

4: The unskippable "3, 2, 1, GO" countdown in every stage and even in VS multiplayer is just an annoying time waster.

5: Respawning takes way too long, like 3-4 seconds. Super annoying, especially in timed missions.

6: The fact you need to reload your machine guns so does not fit in an arena shooter.

7: The "assign the weapons to the character" feature I think just makes the game more unfair. You are stuck with the selected weapons, you can't change them during a match, so if you suck with the selected weapons, you're screwed. Yeah, you can pick up a weapon sometimes, but that weapon can run out and you're back to the selected weapon, from what I experienced.

HuntrRose
Vagabond

Post#16 » Thu Oct 18, 2018 9:05 am

hmm.. maybe outtrigger isnt the game for you...

Tarnish
Prince of Persia

Post#17 » Thu Oct 18, 2018 11:14 am

HuntrRose wrote:hmm.. maybe outtrigger isnt the game for you...

Unfortunately it would seem so.

Chael
fire

Post#18 » Sun Oct 28, 2018 4:14 pm

Wombat wrote:
Chael wrote:Welp it's an arcade game that was meant to be played with twin stick + trackball.

To be accurate, twin stick + trackball. Fixed 8-)

Actually you can use a Dreamcast Twin Stick + mouse to get a configuration that mimics the arcade controls... at least as close as you can get without modding.

Said twin because it's the same stick than the VOOT twin sticks even if you need only one, not any stick. I had the idea of using a ps/2 trackball with mouse adapter but haven't found the latter yet.

Hehe, exactly what I was explaining you when you complained in another thread but you didn't want to understand at the time lol.
Last edited by Chael on Sun Oct 28, 2018 4:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mrneo240
Rank 9

Post#19 » Tue Oct 30, 2018 7:47 pm

Hehe, exactly what I was explaining you when you complained in another thread but you didn't want to understand at the time lol.[/quote]

Pretty much, now i just wanna save other people from the same fate as me. :D

Return to “Lounge”