New Dreamcast Browser

General Dreamcast discussion applies here. Before posting here please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section to see if your topic would fit better in those categories.

Moderators: pcwzrd13, mazonemayu

Forum rules
Please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section before posting here to see if your topic would fit better in those categories. Example: A new game/homebrew release would go in the New Releases/Homebrew/Emulation section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=5 or if you're having an issue with getting your Dreamcast to work or a game to boot it would go in the Support section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=42
Sonic1994DC
Carnage

New Dreamcast Browser

Post#1 » Thu Oct 04, 2018 9:50 pm

Would it be possible to make a new dreamcast web browser?

BlueCrab
Developer

Re: New Dreamcast Browser

Post#2 » Thu Oct 04, 2018 10:31 pm

Sure, it'd be (theoretically) possible. I just don't foresee there being any interest from a developer standpoint of doing so.

First of all, with the prevalence of JavaScript pretty much everywhere, web pages would end up being significantly slower on the Dreamcast, if they even rendered properly at all. Then there's the problem of how bad most of the web today will look at 640x480. Third, there's basically no point, as there's pretty much nobody that is relying on the Dreamcast as their only gateway to the internet at this point -- other than for feeling nostalgia, how many people do you think would actually use a web browser on the Dreamcast for more than just the cursory use for satisfying their curiosity?

So, in short, theoretically, sure a new web browser is possible; but the fact that there still isn't one speaks to how likely it is for one to show up.

Sonic1994DC
Carnage

Post#3 » Thu Oct 04, 2018 11:07 pm

BlueCrab wrote:Sure, it'd be (theoretically) possible. I just don't foresee there being any interest from a developer standpoint of doing so.

First of all, with the prevalence of JavaScript pretty much everywhere, web pages would end up being significantly slower on the Dreamcast, if they even rendered properly at all. Then there's the problem of how bad most of the web today will look at 640x480. Third, there's basically no point, as there's pretty much nobody that is relying on the Dreamcast as their only gateway to the internet at this point -- other than for feeling nostalgia, how many people do you think would actually use a web browser on the Dreamcast for more than just the cursory use for satisfying their curiosity?

So, in short, theoretically, sure a new web browser is possible; but the fact that there still isn't one speaks to how likely it is for one to show up.

What?! Dreamcast is the future!!!! Haha! Yeah I get your point, if one was made thought what features would you want on it? I would love to watch youtube videos on Dreamcast, a special site would have to be made just for that but it would be cool to watch youtube videos on Dreamcast

BlueCrab
Developer

Post#4 » Fri Oct 05, 2018 11:01 am

I'd highly doubt that Youtube would work, except possibly for extremely low resolutions. The Dreamcast most likely doesn't have the power to decode VP8 or MPEG4 in real time.

Aleron Ives
Outrun

Post#5 » Fri Oct 05, 2018 1:56 pm

I couldn't even watch YouTube on a Pentium 4 except at 360p, and that's a 3 GHz processor. Decoding YouTube videos on the DC's CPU in realtime is impossible.
"Fear the HUnewearl."

Sonic1994DC
Carnage

Post#6 » Fri Oct 05, 2018 5:57 pm

BlueCrab wrote:I'd highly doubt that Youtube would work, except possibly for extremely low resolutions. The Dreamcast most likely doesn't have the power to decode VP8 or MPEG4 in real time.

Well I don’t mean the actual youtube page just a web site with clips from youtube put into the format to run on Dreamcast. I know youtube running on Dreamcast is practily impossible. It would be cool to play web/flash like from newgrounds, miniclip, funbrain.

HuntrRose
Vagabond

Post#7 » Fri Oct 05, 2018 6:22 pm

lol

BlueCrab
Developer

Post#8 » Fri Oct 05, 2018 6:54 pm

Sonic1994DC wrote:
BlueCrab wrote:I'd highly doubt that Youtube would work, except possibly for extremely low resolutions. The Dreamcast most likely doesn't have the power to decode VP8 or MPEG4 in real time.

Well I don’t mean the actual youtube page just a web site with clips from youtube put into the format to run on Dreamcast. I know youtube running on Dreamcast is practily impossible. It would be cool to play web/flash like from newgrounds, miniclip, funbrain.
The page itself is irrelevant -- there's not enough CPU horsepower to decode the videos.

Sonic1994DC
Carnage

Post#9 » Fri Oct 05, 2018 7:04 pm

BlueCrab wrote:
Sonic1994DC wrote:

The page itself is irrelevant -- there's not enough CPU horsepower to decode the videos.

Not even short clips? Does it matter the year the video is from?

mistamontiel
Shark Patrol

Post#10 » Fri Oct 05, 2018 7:41 pm

lol