Dreamcast/bumpmapping

General Dreamcast discussion applies here. Before posting here please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section to see if your topic would fit better in those categories.

Moderators: pcwzrd13, mazonemayu

Forum rules
Please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section before posting here to see if your topic would fit better in those categories. Example: A new game/homebrew release would go in the New Releases/Homebrew/Emulation section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=5 or if you're having an issue with getting your Dreamcast to work or a game to boot it would go in the Support section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=42
fafadou
Gold Lion

Re: Dreamcast/bumpmapping

Post#21 » Wed May 27, 2020 4:00 am

I didn't know the bump mapping.
So impressive.

cloofoofoo
Dreamcast Swirl

Post#22 » Wed May 27, 2020 5:37 am

p1pkin wrote:I see, and yes, NullDC might be used to check such cases based on that error message.

there is also another but not widely known bumpmap usage example - in Shenmue 2, medals / coins which player may get for special/secret achievements.
more details there https://www.shenmuedojo.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=46918
I've extracted both bumpmap and regular textures used for bronze and silver medals, in original PVRT format, see attachment.

so, in total we have 2 confirmed Dreamcast games which uses bump map feature - Rayman 2 (grass at 1st level) and Shenmue 2 (bronze, silver and gold medals).

Thanks for that, I had not personally seen them till now. Someone else had posted gifs of it.
Oh btw I was reading the change log of another dreamcast emulator called redream and it mentions "Bumpmap calculations (Death Crimson OX)".
Seems he might be right. Theres a part in the interior of a room when unhandled texture pops up as well when the main villain reveals himself( I suspect he might be bumpmapped but there hasnt been any animated bumpmapped meshes right?its probably something in the background). I could always post more later if I run into more. I cant personally tell since nulldc doesnt dump/actually use the bumpmap.

Ryo_Hazuki
killer

Post#23 » Tue Aug 10, 2021 9:14 am

Tomb raider iv appears to have bump mapping or normal mapping:

cloofoofoo
Dreamcast Swirl

Post#24 » Tue Aug 10, 2021 9:52 am

Ryo_Hazuki wrote:Tomb raider iv appears to have bump mapping or normal mapping:

Yeah , the last revelations is well known example of it on the Dreamcast. Even the devs mentioned they added bump mapping to all level surface. Monoco grandprix/F1 racing championship/racing simulation 2( these are all the same game) fakes bump map by blending a white and black texture on the pavement and grass.

Esppiral
BFG-10K

Post#25 » Tue Aug 10, 2021 2:25 pm

Oh BumpMapping on the Dreamcast, I like this topic.

Since most videos are old as f*ck and super low quality, I've recorded HQ versions of the bump map demos for the Dreamcast running on real hardware. (both demul and redream don't quite get the bump effect like on a real console)

And some Tomb Raider shots, these are taken using redream, since I am too lazy to hook my Dreamcast atm.

I may record some gameplay from real hardware later on.

Esppiral
BFG-10K

Post#26 » Thu Aug 12, 2021 10:09 am

Rayman bumps, yes, super low res.

Sega Rally's main menu background also uses bump maps.

cloofoofoo
Dreamcast Swirl

Post#27 » Thu Aug 12, 2021 10:21 am

Esppiral wrote:Rayman bumps, yes, super low res.

Sega Rally's main menu background also uses bump maps.

Quite a bit more games than I thought. Sega rally 2, tomb raider the last revelation, death crimson2/ox, shenmue 2, Rayman 2. With only Rayman 2 and the last revelation actually using extensively.

Monoco grapndrix/F1 racing championship fakes it. It uses basic blending to fake it, doesn't react to light. You can actually mess with these really easily in this game since it's .bmp format

fafadou
Gold Lion

Post#28 » Thu Aug 12, 2021 10:58 am

The tires looks to have bumpmapping too ?

@Espirral Well done to find this one, the sega rally 2 has something special but I could say what is it exactly ^^ now I can :-)

beanboy
Wazza

Post#29 » Tue Aug 17, 2021 12:33 am

Good to see this bump map discussion still going on. Nice.

PkR
rebel

Post#30 » Tue Aug 17, 2021 5:59 am

The dragon boss in Phantasy Star Online uses bump maps. I found a few BUMP format PVR textures when I was looking into the game's texture formats a while back.
You can have a look at the textures here: https://github.com/nickworonekin/puyoto ... 9/Bump.zip