Different opinion Sega rally 2.

General Dreamcast discussion applies here. Before posting here please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section to see if your topic would fit better in those categories.

Moderators: pcwzrd13, mazonemayu

Forum rules
Please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section before posting here to see if your topic would fit better in those categories. Example: A new game/homebrew release would go in the New Releases/Homebrew/Emulation section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=5 or if you're having an issue with getting your Dreamcast to work or a game to boot it would go in the Support section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=42
cloofoofoo
Dreamcast Swirl

Different opinion Sega rally 2.

Post#1 » Wed Jun 20, 2018 10:20 am

I played Sega rally 2 once in the arcade long ago and I shyed away the DC version because all of the crap it got. Finally got around trying the DC version and I was actually blown away how good it looked. The frame rate seems unstable(25 to 45) but above 30 for the most part. The car models seem the same except the tires are really simplified.

Now here is where I think my opinion differs. The lighting looks way superior to the model 3 version. For starters the track actually had lighting wasn't just a constant light like in the arcade version. The cars exhaust actually lights up the track and car. And while it makes the game look dark the over lighting is just way more dynamic.

Went on YouTube just to compare the model 3 version and yeah it throws around way way more polygons but track lighting is almost non existant except for the night stage for the model 3. I think with a steady 30 fps and less distance clipping the DC version looks way better.

SEGA RPG FAN
Developer

Re: Different opinion Sega rally 2.

Post#2 » Thu Jun 21, 2018 11:49 pm

The framerate is the killer for me. Back in the day I couldn't tell you whether a game was running at 60 or 20 fps or 10 fps. After moving into the PC sphere where 60 is considered the minimum and getting used to how that looks, Sega Rally 2's wildly unstable framerate is very distracting.

Now, one thing to mention is that the game can be made to run at a constant 30 which you can get used to and is better than having it jump around.

I want to like this game, but I would honestly take Sega Rally 1 on Saturn any day.
PSO Dreamcast 100% Legit: Eda FOmarl, Automaton HUcast

cloofoofoo
Dreamcast Swirl

Post#3 » Sat Jun 23, 2018 6:45 am

Yeah the frame rate could have been better but it wasn't super terrible like urban chaos. The visuals were nice and I personally think they were an improvement over it arcade counter part. I think people chewed it out because it went for a different art style all together when compared to the arcade.

The-Amazing-Mr_V
Metallic

Post#4 » Sun Jun 24, 2018 12:35 pm

I didn't think the game was so bad. But I have never played the arcade version to compare it to. But it isn't my first choice of racing games.

beanboy
Wazza

Post#5 » Wed Jul 17, 2019 1:02 am

Sega Rally 2 on the dreamcast.
Looking back at it, it was never a bad dreamcast game. It just had a few annoying problems.
I plan on playing it hopefully soon. This and Test Drive V Rally 2 Expert Edition.

Oh yeah! 8-)

OGDCFAN99
Arabian Night

Post#6 » Wed Jul 17, 2019 4:57 pm

This is probabably the highest quality WinCE developed game.. Back in the day it seemed incredible and today it has held up much better better than its reputation suggests. The frame rate isn't nearly as annoying as some others.

BeanBoy you sure do have alot of DC games to catch up on lol

beanboy
Wazza

Post#7 » Wed Jul 17, 2019 9:52 pm

OGDCFAN99 wrote:BeanBoy you sure do have alot of DC games to catch up on lol

Yes I do. :lol: