Pound Technology here to offer an HDMI solution for the Dreamcast!

General Dreamcast discussion applies here. Before posting here please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section to see if your topic would fit better in those categories.

Moderators: pcwzrd13, mazonemayu

Forum rules
Please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section before posting here to see if your topic would fit better in those categories. Example: A new game/homebrew release would go in the New Releases/Homebrew/Emulation section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=5 or if you're having an issue with getting your Dreamcast to work or a game to boot it would go in the Support section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=42
Pound Technology
rebel

Re: Pound Technology here to offer an HDMI solution for the Dreamcast!

Post#41 » Sun Jul 29, 2018 11:39 pm

Xiden, I've gotta be honest, that thread you sent over doesn't make me super optimistic about the mass market appeal of this product. I mean, we need to be able to satisfy tens of thousands of orders in order for the manufacturing cost to make sense and I'm just not convinced, with 5 compatible games, that this would be worth it. We're in the mass market game; an individual making cables as a side gig could make this work, but contracting a factory to make it doesn't seem feasible.

Xiden
Developer

Post#42 » Mon Jul 30, 2018 12:32 am

Pound Technology wrote:Xiden, I've gotta be honest, that thread you sent over doesn't make me super optimistic about the mass market appeal of this product. I mean, we need to be able to satisfy tens of thousands of orders in order for the manufacturing cost to make sense and I'm just not convinced, with 5 compatible games, that this would be worth it. We're in the mass market game; an individual making cables as a side gig could make this work, but contracting a factory to make it doesn't seem feasible.

Understandable thanks for looking :)

Pound Technology
rebel

Post#43 » Mon Jul 30, 2018 1:12 am

Thanks for understanding and thank you for the suggestion. I do wish we could offer more but we also have to keep in mind that the business we run requires some scale to make it feasible. Cheers!

MikeStutzzzz
Outrun

Post#44 » Sat Aug 04, 2018 11:17 pm

hmm, mine came in. it looks pretty good except white is extremely white.
Meh Stuff http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=18650#p18650
Before you download meh mirrors read this
http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2353&p=22482#p22482

OfManNotMachine
letterbomb

Post#45 » Mon Aug 06, 2018 5:21 pm

Man, just got mine today. Maybe everyone's mileage varies, and it will depend how your TV will take the signal from this thing, but I used it for 5 minutes and I will be returning it for a refund.

The picture is SO blurry and fuzzy. Sound is perfectly fine, but I'll stick to my VGA box going into the Atlona VGA to HDMI Upscaler. Was really hoping to eliminate those 2 boxes, and if the difference was only marginal I wouldn't mind, but man...it's brutal. I've seen other people post screen shots and it looked really solid. So either I got a faulty unit, or the way my TV takes this signal just isn't very good.

I even set my Atlona Box to 480p to see if it would look blurry as well and it was still super crisp and sharp.

Pound Technology
rebel

Post#46 » Mon Aug 06, 2018 8:09 pm

OfManNotMachine wrote:Man, just got mine today. Maybe everyone's mileage varies, and it will depend how your TV will take the signal from this thing, but I used it for 5 minutes and I will be returning it for a refund.

The picture is SO blurry and fuzzy. Sound is perfectly fine, but I'll stick to my VGA box going into the Atlona VGA to HDMI Upscaler. Was really hoping to eliminate those 2 boxes, and if the difference was only marginal I wouldn't mind, but man...it's brutal. I've seen other people post screen shots and it looked really solid. So either I got a faulty unit, or the way my TV takes this signal just isn't very good.

I even set my Atlona Box to 480p to see if it would look blurry as well and it was still super crisp and sharp.

I'm really sorry your experience with the HD Link cable was so poor. Please return it as a defect and Amazon will pay for the return shipping. Would you be willing to try another unit to rule out a defective unit? It's hard to believe that a working unit would be as blurry as you're describing so I can only imagine you received a defective product, and for that, please accept my deepest apologies.

OfManNotMachine
letterbomb

Post#47 » Tue Aug 07, 2018 1:16 am

I think it's the way my TV chooses to accept the signal. I already started the return process and ate the shipping costs. Ah well. Such is life.

I think it's more on my TV because certain options aren't even available in the picture adjustment settings like sharpness for example. So it's probably more on my TV than anything.

However, it did get me curious about my Xbox cable, cause I noticed there were faint lines going thru the image so I dug up my componet cables for my Xbox and tried them, and the lines in the image were gone so I'm probably just gonna stick with my componet cables into my upscaler.

Pound Technology
rebel

Post#48 » Tue Aug 07, 2018 3:32 am

Hnmm, perhaps it's due to the 480i signal native to the Dreamcast? Some TVs don't like 480i going to the HDMI port - 480i isn't TECHNICALLY a part of HDMI standard so some TVs don't accept it. It really depends on the TV and even different TVs under the same brand can have issues.

OfManNotMachine
letterbomb

Post#49 » Tue Aug 07, 2018 5:45 am

Yeah, there are so many variables for sure.

I know the DC menu is 480, but games that run thru this cable should be rocking 480p right?

I ran my Atlona VGA to HDMI Upscaler at 480p instead of 1080 like I usually do, and it still looked much clearer than this cable did. I checked my TV again, and on both cables, it says 480p once the Dreamcast is running a game. However, the only difference was this...with my VGA Scaler, I was able to make adjustments to the picture as far as color/contrast/sharpness go. With your cable my TV blacked out all adjustments. I know that's a pretty common thing among Samsung TV's, but I've never seen my TCL P605 do this before. It's never given me a problem with any source or resoltion, in fact...it's been the most accepting of all the crazy resolutions I throw at it. It's been more accomidating than all my previous Samsung TV's

ncman071
Sunday Shootout

Post#50 » Wed Aug 08, 2018 10:47 am

just ordered this cable! looking forward to it!