Quest Drop Rates on EP (PSO)

General Dreamcast discussion applies here. Before posting here please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section to see if your topic would fit better in those categories.

Moderators: pcwzrd13, mazonemayu

Forum rules
Please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section before posting here to see if your topic would fit better in those categories. Example: A new game/homebrew release would go in the New Releases/Homebrew/Emulation section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=5 or if you're having an issue with getting your Dreamcast to work or a game to boot it would go in the Support section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=42
SEGA RPG FAN
Developer

Re: Quest Drop Rates on EP (PSO)

Post#11 » Wed May 30, 2018 2:15 pm

Nico0020 wrote:I always figured the reason they did it, besides just not thinking, was a few factors.
1. Quests lock parties down. They wanted to make sure everyone wasn't playing in locked rooms all the time and everyone could join open games easily.
2. Quests deciding to push certain enemy spawns, allowing you to farm for weapons. They didn't want it to end up in a PSU like situation, where everyone just runs White beats over and over again. Also GC/xbox PSO, everyone playing TTF only.
3. Or just a stupid accident.

#1 seems most logical and is what I always assumed was the case. Encourage more open play. They never explicitly said that rares don't drop though right? So you'd have to either know or figure it out.

I wish they had released more special/interesting/unique quests. We got some, but definitely not enough to stave off the repetition that inevitably sets in. I've played enough hours of this game over the years that I'm in it mostly for the social aspect now. Games where nobody talks quickly bore me.
PSO Dreamcast 100% Legit: Eda FOmarl, Automaton HUcast

Aleron Ives
Outrun

Post#12 » Wed May 30, 2018 9:28 pm

natural585 wrote:Does this also affect offline story quests?

Yes. Online, offline, and downloadable quests all prevent rares from dropping. Maybe Sega just didn't want you to farm Rappy drops in The Fake in Yellow. :roll:

I would much prefer to use more difficult drop rates and allow rares to drop in quests, but nobody with the required experience has any desire to figure out how to do it.
"Fear the HUnewearl."

natural585
rebel

Post#13 » Thu May 31, 2018 5:50 pm

How different is the coding from all of the more recent PSO versions?
Last edited by natural585 on Thu May 31, 2018 6:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

natural585
rebel

Post#14 » Thu May 31, 2018 5:53 pm

Maybe there's a command somewhere in the DC version that could be taken out or modified if the code was compared to the more recent versions of PSO. You might be able to just exclude certain quests for drops.

HuntrRose
Vagabond

Post#15 » Thu May 31, 2018 6:21 pm

lol.. just cheat

Aleron Ives
Outrun

Post#16 » Fri Jun 01, 2018 5:48 am

natural585 wrote:How different is the coding from all of the more recent PSO versions?

It's the only SuperH version, so it's completely different.

natural585 wrote:Maybe there's a command somewhere in the DC version that could be taken out or modified

Sure, but you need somebody who understands SH4 assembly, is willing to reverse engineer a commercial game, and cares about PSO. I have yet to meet such a person.
"Fear the HUnewearl."

SEGA RPG FAN
Developer

Post#17 » Fri Jun 01, 2018 9:11 am

Cheating to get the items you want would be a lot easier ;) If you want to feel like you've "earned" it, calculate how many hours it might take you to find said item and play that long :D

Seriously though, you're talking about modifying the game to do something it wasn't intended to do. That's not too far removed from using codebreaker to create items that have a ridiculously low drop rate. Both could be "justified" under the "well the developers shouldn't have made the game this way" argument.
PSO Dreamcast 100% Legit: Eda FOmarl, Automaton HUcast

natural585
rebel

Post#18 » Fri Jun 01, 2018 1:36 pm

No thanks. That would be boring and then I'd have nothing to hunt. I'm already somewhat close to end game anyways.
Last edited by natural585 on Fri Jun 01, 2018 1:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

natural585
rebel

Post#19 » Fri Jun 01, 2018 1:37 pm

And yeah I guess maybe it's a lost cause then. Oh well lol.

natural585
rebel

Post#20 » Fri Jun 01, 2018 1:45 pm

Then there's the argument that the original developers of PSO could have balanced the game out better. I mean look at the original Hucast stats and then look at how they butchered Ramar in the DC version. Just because the game was originally intended for something doesn't mean it should have been like that. I mean look at how good Humar is in the DC version. 1400+ ATP, Shifta, Zalure, etc. They realize they messed up and took away Shifta from Humar and Zalure from Ramar in the later PSO versions.