Why Do You Still Play Dreamcast?

General Dreamcast discussion applies here. Before posting here please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section to see if your topic would fit better in those categories.

Moderators: pcwzrd13, mazonemayu

Forum rules
Please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section before posting here to see if your topic would fit better in those categories. Example: A new game/homebrew release would go in the New Releases/Homebrew/Emulation section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=5 or if you're having an issue with getting your Dreamcast to work or a game to boot it would go in the Support section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=42
Nz17
St.Jimmy

Why Do You Still Play Dreamcast?

Post#1 » Sun May 20, 2018 8:27 am

There are many reasons why people still play an old console like the Dreamcast. What are your reasons?

mazonemayu
Agent Provocateur

Re: Why Do You Still Play Dreamcast?

Post#2 » Sun May 20, 2018 8:39 am

I can think of only one reason to play a console: coz it has good games. Would be a tad stupid to play shit games on a console you hate, just to be "one of cool the guys" 8-) :lol:
We are SEGA generation.

Subscribe:

https://youtube.com/user/mazonemayu <———gameplay vids be here

Visit:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/150479343@N06/albums <—-collection piccies here

Kobra Kai
lithium

Post#3 » Sun May 20, 2018 8:51 am

Zomg, It’s Dreamcast
And it’s almost as Kool as the Atari Jaguar.

Me personally played online back in 1999 and was my 1st experience playing online games like quake3 and Speed devils online, and of course PSO.

Nostalgia keeps me coming back, but like Mazoneayu said, it still has great games.

Love my Retro collection

SEGA RPG FAN
Developer

Post#4 » Sun May 20, 2018 9:36 am

It had a lot of novelty from the online capability to some fun unique games. I always remember the WOW factor when I first saw it in action. That was the last system to do that for me. I was playing DC well into the PS2/GC/Xbox time period so it was cool (to me at least) playing a comparable system that most people quickly forgot. "You play Dreamcast???? Why?"

Those memories and more importantly the ardent fanbase is what keeps me coming back. I take long stretches off, but I do keep returning.
PSO Dreamcast 100% Legit: Eda FOmarl, Automaton HUcast

keilmillerjr
noob

Post#5 » Sun May 20, 2018 9:27 pm

I remember playing it at Best Buy when it came out. It had amazing graphics for the time, and I loved the controller. Fast forward 4 years and I bought one used. Sonic Adventure and Crazy Taxi was the shit. Yayayayaya! Crazy taxi was awesome because I’m not big into video games and it’s arcade style gameplay got me hooked. Easy to pickup and walk away, then come back another time.

I had 3 dreamcasts gdroms fail. Had an enormous collection of accessories, legit games and a few boots. Got rid of it all. I loved it, but hated its reliability.

Fast forward to present, I stumbled across a Dreamcast mod. Found out that all the reliability issues can be resolved. Excited to work my way into the console again! I think it will see more action than my raspberry pi (used twice).

OfManNotMachine
letterbomb

Post#6 » Sun May 20, 2018 9:38 pm

Short Answer...Cause it's F'n awesome.

Long answer...

Cause it's F'n awesome!!

So growing up...I was 5 when the Genesis came out, and I just fell in love with it, and Sega. Sega fanboy all the way, had the Sega CD attachment. Then had a 3DO, and a Playstation, didn't discover the Saturn till it was pretty much finished, but loved it, and it reignited my love for Sega. Then the Dreamcast hit, and I was just floored. I still remember trying a demo unit and playing Sonic Adventure, and my jaw just hitting the floor when crossing the bridge being chased by that damn whale.

To this day....as good as games look, nothing has even floored me like that did.

The Dreamcast then just gave me so much joy, happiness, and new experiences. Now that I'm 36, getting older, I miss that feeling, and nothing really gives me that feeling. Discovering this site, and getting my Dreamcast back online...gaming with fellow Dreamcast gamers, have given me that warm n fuzzy feeling again, and it's just freaking awesome.

But even before that, I'd break out my Dreamcast from time to time, play thru Skies of Arcadia again, Grandia 2, Sonic Adventure, Sword of the Berserk, MDK 2, and so many other great gems. I own over 140 DC Games and it's just such a special console to me. I'll play the damn thing till I die

Anonymouse
Outtrigger

Post#7 » Mon May 21, 2018 7:12 am

I originally had a NES as a child but wasn't overly impressed. Then my friend got a Mega Drive, everything just seemed right about it. I sold the NES then got a Mega Drive for my Christmas. I was a Sega Fan boy and never bothered getting another console after the Dreamcast. It has been constantly setup since new, and my original console.
Dreamcast: Blue Swirl, 60hz, White LED, Removable battery holder, Internal SD card reader, BBA, DreamPi, RGB Scart

Bob Dobbs
Sub Genius

Post#8 » Tue May 22, 2018 12:54 am

There's just nothing like it, it's an original that lead the way with a wide range of cool games and tech innovations. I just don't get the same buzz playing another console (we own the Wii, WiiU, Switch, PS4, Xbox 360 (I do like this console), PS2, and have played the PS3 which Radkin owns).
Last edited by Bob Dobbs on Mon Apr 29, 2019 9:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Regards,
Bob Dobbs

BloodBrother
core

Post#9 » Tue May 22, 2018 2:36 am

1) the nostalgia. 2) no day one patches. 3) no stupid online requirments. 4) split screen multiplayer. 5) fun as fuck. 6) easily portable. 7) modability. (is this a word? Lol) 8) new releases!

I despise how the game industry is currently, 1) pre orders; give us your hard earned money before our game is released! 2) oops, we fucked up on the game we rushed out the door, here is a 30 gb patch to improve it. 3) wtf were 343i thinking by removing split screen from Halo, couch play is what got them were they are now, and have proven that they cant carry the legacy given to them. 4) i was utterly disappointed when they first announced the Xbone would need to be always online, and that digital games are the way to go... How bout no, id like my physical game in my possession so yall can't take them from me after ive paid for them. 5) games are increasingly becoming online only making you dependant on your internet... Isp can and do lose coverage occasionally, making those games you love obsolete during the blackouts... Not my Dreamcast tho!

Im sorry this turned into a rant, but these are issues i find troubling with games today and further enforces why i care about my Dreamcast a lot.
THE WORLD AS WE KNOW IT IS A LIE.

If you want it, come and take it from me. If you think you can, you still dont know me.

The-Amazing-Mr_V
Metallic

Post#10 » Wed May 23, 2018 9:37 am

I agree I don't like how game consoles are trending towards online. My dreamcast still keeps me coming back to it with games that I can play over and over.