Internal IDE hdd WITH gdrom drive, also dual bios and VGA!!

General Dreamcast discussion applies here. Before posting here please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section to see if your topic would fit better in those categories.

Moderators: pcwzrd13, mazonemayu

Forum rules
Please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section before posting here to see if your topic would fit better in those categories. Example: A new game/homebrew release would go in the New Releases/Homebrew/Emulation section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=5 or if you're having an issue with getting your Dreamcast to work or a game to boot it would go in the Support section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=42
Elliander
lithium

Re: Internal IDE hdd WITH gdrom drive, also dual bios and VGA!!

Post#21 » Tue Jan 08, 2019 7:18 am

I'm curious: Why not use an IDE to SATA adapter for a build like this? When I read this I actually went searching to see if that exists and then I found a site that sells a modding service to add a SATA port to the side, but then they also sell a Dreamcast with this mod and the SD card mod so I'm thinking that it's probably not connected to the GD-ROM like you have.

Still, it should be possible to run an IDE mod to the GD-ROM and then add an IDE to SATA adapter to it. From there you could either use a 2.5" SATA drive (solid state even!) for an internal, or run an adapter to the outside of the case like they did.

It's a shame that a SATA to female USB doesn't exist though, because if it did you could take it a step further: Go from IDE to SATA to USB, allowing a flash drive to be interpreted as an actual IDE hard drive meaning you could actually add a USB port without having to destroy the GD-ROM like you'd have to do with the USB-GDROM mod. I wonder if it would be possible to actually build such an adapter though.

In my case, I ended up buying a modded Dreamcast from Dream Mods with a working GD-ROM, a VGA port, dual BIOS (one to load discs, the other to load Dreamshell from an SD card plugged into the serial port), an overclock switch, two Dreamconn+ controllers (which sadly won't work while overclocking) and two backlit Virtual memory cards that charge the battery from the Wireless controllers. I probably won't get the SD card reader for another month, so I hope the compatibility for my games is high enough. If not I may end up buying a second Dreamcast for the hard drive so not to have to ruin the GD-ROM. It looks like there's no room to add a mod like this though, which is a shame because a real Dream would have all of the above and a hard drive.
Attachments
hdd-sata-port-installation-service-for-dreamcast-console-modding-mod.jpg