Internal IDE hdd WITH gdrom drive, also dual bios and VGA!!

General Dreamcast discussion applies here. Before posting here please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section to see if your topic would fit better in those categories.

Moderators: pcwzrd13, mazonemayu

Forum rules
Please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section before posting here to see if your topic would fit better in those categories. Example: A new game/homebrew release would go in the New Releases/Homebrew/Emulation section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=5 or if you're having an issue with getting your Dreamcast to work or a game to boot it would go in the Support section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=42
EvilJimChicken
shadow

Re: Internal IDE hdd WITH gdrom drive, also dual bios and VGA!!

Post#11 » Tue May 01, 2018 10:21 am

Simplebit wrote:
EvilJimChicken wrote:
Simplebit wrote:great work, i bought a similar pre modified DC with dual bios switch and VGA switch for about 100USD at taobao, but the HDD is outside

Wow that's really cleanly modded, I can't believe you got it so cheap! What does the tact switch on the side do?

Do you have any pictures of the inside?

it's cheap, actually it's only 75USD console only, plus 25 postage, bought from chinese site below in , the switch on side to choose boot from GD ROM or HDD, the switch on top is a reset button and a HDD indicator as well, it will flash when HDD is reading like PC, it's hard to open as all wires connected to top cover

https://item.taobao.com/item.htm?id=41724030620

How did you even find out about this?

It's pretty funny how you got a whole console with a hard drive, dual bios, and vga cheaper than a gdemu or usb gdrom.

krssn
Metallic

Post#12 » Wed May 02, 2018 2:34 am

EvilJimChicken wrote:
krssn wrote:The holes for the switches and VGA input look really smooth.

How did you make them?...

A lot of careful filing lol, it took hours. I used some extra shite harbor freight files so it would be way easier with actually flat files.

It certainly paid off. Great job... ^^

BloodBrother
core

Post#13 » Wed May 02, 2018 2:44 pm

This is the Ultimate Dreamcast. Ive aspired to make practically this exact thing, this has been my wish for a couple years. I however am going to throw a Dreampsu in there, and i am hopeful i will be able to add the hdmi board citrus3000 is working on. Finally i would also have Dreampi in there, all concealed in that little white box of awesomeness. That would be damn near as next gen as the Dreamcast can get.
THE WORLD AS WE KNOW IT IS A LIE.

If you want it, come and take it from me. If you think you can, you still dont know me.

EvilJimChicken
shadow

Post#14 » Wed May 02, 2018 3:14 pm

krssn wrote:
EvilJimChicken wrote:
krssn wrote:The holes for the switches and VGA input look really smooth.

How did you make them?...

A lot of careful filing lol, it took hours. I used some extra shite harbor freight files so it would be way easier with actually flat files.

It certainly paid off. Great job... ^^

Thanks a ton!

EvilJimChicken
shadow

Post#15 » Wed May 02, 2018 3:19 pm

BloodBrother wrote:This is the Ultimate Dreamcast. Ive aspired to make practically this exact thing, this has been my wish for a couple years. I however am going to throw a Dreampsu in there, and i am hopeful i will be able to add the hdmi board citrus3000 is working on. Finally i would also have Dreampi in there, all concealed in that little white box of awesomeness. That would be damn near as next gen as the Dreamcast can get.

Thanks man!

I plan on integrating a dreampi in the near future with wifi and connect it to the modem internally. It will all be connected on headers and be easy to take apart of course too.

Hopefully you beat me to it so I can get some inspiration : )

BloodBrother
core

Post#16 » Wed May 02, 2018 3:33 pm

EvilJimChicken wrote:
BloodBrother wrote:This is the Ultimate Dreamcast. Ive aspired to make practically this exact thing, this has been my wish for a couple years. I however am going to throw a Dreampsu in there, and i am hopeful i will be able to add the hdmi board citrus3000 is working on. Finally i would also have Dreampi in there, all concealed in that little white box of awesomeness. That would be damn near as next gen as the Dreamcast can get.

Thanks man!

I plan on integrating a dreampi in the near future with wifi and connect it to the modem internally. It will all be connected on headers and be easy to take apart of course too.

I have 0% technical skills my man, i strive to be knowledgeable in my hobbies, but i have not moved into physical application (soldering etc). Life keeps throwing curve balls at me and distracting me, but i need to stop using that excuse sooner or later. You will for certain be beating me to the punch. Its awesome the effort you put into building that, how long did it take you to put together?
THE WORLD AS WE KNOW IT IS A LIE.

If you want it, come and take it from me. If you think you can, you still dont know me.

Simplebit
shadow

Post#17 » Thu May 03, 2018 9:49 am

EvilJimChicken wrote:How did you even find out about this?

It's pretty funny how you got a whole console with a hard drive, dual bios, and vga cheaper than a gdemu or usb gdrom.

yes, gdemu is expensive but no compatibility issue, but second hand DC in china is so cheap, it only cost about $35-60 for a console only depends on condition, so get it modified still under $100

EvilJimChicken
shadow

Post#18 » Fri May 04, 2018 10:45 am

BloodBrother wrote:
EvilJimChicken wrote:

Thanks man!

I have 0% technical skills my man, i strive to be knowledgeable in my hobbies, but i have not moved into physical application (soldering etc). Life keeps throwing curve balls at me and distracting me, but i need to stop using that excuse sooner or later. You will for certain be beating me to the punch. Its awesome the effort you put into building that, how long did it take you to put together?

With a decent iron and few hours of practice on junk boards and some youtube tutorials i'm sure that you can do all of the soldering involved. I would say soldering is more about patience than skill. I think the sketchiest thing about soldering is just how easily pads and traces can be lifted.

It took me a week to do this, putting in 2-8 hours every day. I was obsessed with it during that week lol.

EvilJimChicken
shadow

Post#19 » Fri May 04, 2018 10:48 am

Simplebit wrote:
EvilJimChicken wrote:How did you even find out about this?

yes, gdemu is expensive but no compatibility issue, but second hand DC in china is so cheap, it only cost about $35-60 for a console only depends on condition, so get it modified still under $100

Hopefully IDE will also have no compatibility issues soon!

jacobsson
noob

Post#20 » Thu Aug 30, 2018 7:43 am

I love your work! Can you show more pictures of how you made room for the HDD, did you just flatten a battery holder? Anyway good job!