Dreamcast parts on Alibaba

General Dreamcast discussion applies here. Before posting here please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section to see if your topic would fit better in those categories.

Moderators: pcwzrd13, mazonemayu

Forum rules
Please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section before posting here to see if your topic would fit better in those categories. Example: A new game/homebrew release would go in the New Releases/Homebrew/Emulation section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=5 or if you're having an issue with getting your Dreamcast to work or a game to boot it would go in the Support section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=42
Caspian
core

Dreamcast parts on Alibaba

Post#1 » Mon Apr 23, 2018 8:56 am

Hello all,

Recently I found in Alibaba, listings of some of the Integrated Circuits that were used on the Dreamcast. I was wondering how could this be possible, especially with the case of Dreamcast's GPU (CLX2?) that was a product from NEC specifically designed for the Dreamcast.

From a search in various forums and the internet, people suggest caution mainly because of 1) a relatively high percentage of malfunctioning ICs that are being sold in Alibaba, 2) some even claim that many of the sellers export counterfeited ICs. While some of the simpler ICs can be copied, I do not see how a chinese manufacturer could have counterfeited a complicated chip such as CLX2 as it could be a process that would require a lot of money and effort.

I would imagine that the production of those ICs used for the Dreamcast (or at least some of them) would have stopped by now.
-Could those ICs still be manufactured?
-If yes, do the chinese have licenses for that or could there be legal complications for anyone that would use them?

Nz17
St.Jimmy

Re: Dreamcast parts on Alibaba

Post#2 » Mon Apr 23, 2018 6:43 pm

As long as the dimensions, inputs, and outputs are correct, then using these Chinese IC's should be fine. Besides, SEGA manufactured Dreamcasts and their parts around the world including China. There are no legal complications in owning, using, buying, selling, or manufacturing these parts. The patents for them expired a long time ago, and so any company is now free to manufacture them without a patent license and without paying royalties to SEGA, NEC, or any other company.

Caspian
core

Post#3 » Tue Apr 24, 2018 6:52 am

@Nz17
Yes, what you say sounds logical. I expect that for the more complicated ICs, if they are counterfeited there could be performance issues but all-in-all they should work, with chinese reliability being another issue.

BlueCrab
Developer

Post#4 » Tue Apr 24, 2018 7:47 am

It is always possible that the chips aren't new, but rather just old stock that was never used during manufacturing or that they are reclaimed from machines that have since been scrapped.

Caspian
core

Post#5 » Tue Apr 24, 2018 7:56 am

@BlueCrab
This is true, I have read many who have reported similar issues in various forums. But I guess that this case applies more to AliExpress (where smaller quantities are sold) than to Alibaba. In Alibaba the suppliers claim they can provide thousand's of ICs in a particular time-frame (e.g month, year-quarter etc.) which is an indication that they indeed have a production line for the ICs.