PSO ver 2 serial question.

General Dreamcast discussion applies here. Before posting here please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section to see if your topic would fit better in those categories.

Moderators: pcwzrd13, mazonemayu

Forum rules
Please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section before posting here to see if your topic would fit better in those categories. Example: A new game/homebrew release would go in the New Releases/Homebrew/Emulation section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=5 or if you're having an issue with getting your Dreamcast to work or a game to boot it would go in the Support section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=42
D0ngr
noob

PSO ver 2 serial question.

Post#1 » Mon Mar 12, 2018 1:58 pm

Hi!

So I had an original PSO ver 2 but never played it online. I can’t seem to find that disc anywhere so I bought one at the local store to play offline. Now, I have a Dream Pi. So I tried to take that character online. The first number is already filled out in the field, but not the second. I don’t remember exactly, but maybe I had to enter the # to transfer characters, way back when?

My question is, I have a new copy on the way. When it arrives can I just use both numbers from the new disc to get this particular character online? Or will it create issues? If it does, is there any way to see what the old 2nd number was so I can just input it that way? Or am I stuck having to make and stick with new characters?

Thank you!

BlueCrab
Developer

Re: PSO ver 2 serial question.

Post#2 » Tue Mar 13, 2018 7:50 am

Unfortunately, you really do need the original serial number and access key in order to play online with that character. A new copy of the game with new keys won't help you get that old character online, as the save data is specific to one set of keys.

Now, you'll be able to make new characters and play them online with the new keys, but you won't be able to use the old one at all.

Aleron Ives
Outrun

Re: PSO ver 2 serial question.

Post#3 » Tue Mar 13, 2018 8:22 am

You'll also have to erase the serial stored in the flash memory, so you won't be able to use the old character anymore, even offline.

*I think.*

Since the old character has never gone online, it's possible that when you erase the flash memory your old character will continue to load when the new serial is stored in the flash memory, because you haven't written your old serial into the save file yet. If that's the case, you're golden. If you get "A: Reload", then your save file is useless, and you might as well delete it, since you don't know the old serials required to get the file to load again on a different Dreamcast. You'll have to start over from scratch.
"Fear the HUnewearl."