Why are games changing my VMU's icon?

General Dreamcast discussion applies here. Before posting here please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section to see if your topic would fit better in those categories.

Moderators: pcwzrd13, mazonemayu

Forum rules
Please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section before posting here to see if your topic would fit better in those categories. Example: A new game/homebrew release would go in the New Releases/Homebrew/Emulation section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=5 or if you're having an issue with getting your Dreamcast to work or a game to boot it would go in the Support section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=42
SomeGuyWithASega
photon blast

Why are games changing my VMU's icon?

Post#1 » Sun Mar 11, 2018 4:21 am

So, I just came from playing Super Magnetic Neo for the first time. Pretty good game so far, I like the attraction/repulsion gimmick that is implemented. It helps the game stand for its own and not just become a Crash Bandicoot ripoff. The strangest thing that happened though was when I finished playing; I booted back to the Dreamcast menu, and my VMU's icon had been changed from a happy face to the Crave logo. I checked to see if there was an extra file saved on my VMU along with my save in the menu; nothing. I even deleted the save, and still nothing.

So then I booted up the handy-dandy Dream Explorer and found a 3 block icon data file for the Crave logo that was hidden from the default file menu. If you didn't catch onto that, Super Magnetic Neo basically installed a virus onto my VMU (not in the way that it harms files, but makes changes to the settings without telling the player). I didn't even know that was possible, let alone that developers would be sneaky enough to put them in.

I was incredibly confused, and eventually found out that other games do this as well, like Shadowman. None of my other Crave games do this though.

Could I get some more info on this, as well as more games that do things like this? Thanks.

Aleron Ives
Outrun

Re: Why are games changing my VMU's icon?

Post#2 » Sun Mar 11, 2018 6:33 am

I didn't know that games themselves could install icon files. Will they also overwrite existing icon files? D: I have icons installed on most of my VMUs, and I wouldn't want a rogue game to overwrite them without my permission...
"Fear the HUnewearl."

Xiden
Developer

Post#3 » Sun Mar 11, 2018 10:35 am

Theres a glitch with capcom games doing that as well. I remember reading it being a known issue, but I think there is dc software that can change the icon again out there

mistamontiel
Shark Patrol

Post#4 » Sun Mar 11, 2018 1:05 pm

I haaaate that. Same for Shadow Man it just eats four blocks of space to force its own stupid icon

n then only Dream Explorer VMU Tool can undo that

SomeGuyWithASega
photon blast

Post#5 » Sun Mar 11, 2018 1:06 pm

@Aleron Ives I don't think they overwrite the existing icon files.

Speaking of Super Magnetic Neo, I ran into a problem in Ancient World level 1 where Neo doesn't get on the camelcycle at the beginning. I heard it was supposed to be automatic, but the buttons do nothing except for Start to pause the game.

BloodBrother
core

Post#6 » Sun Mar 11, 2018 3:39 pm

I have had this happened very recently, although not recent enough for me to remember which game did it, haha. However, it wasnt SMN or Shadowman.
THE WORLD AS WE KNOW IT IS A LIE.

If you want it, come and take it from me. If you think you can, you still dont know me.

beanboy
Wazza

Post#7 » Sun Apr 21, 2019 10:27 pm

SomeGuyWithASega wrote:@Aleron Ives I don't think they overwrite the existing icon files.

Speaking of Super Magnetic Neo, I ran into a problem in Ancient World level 1 where Neo doesn't get on the camelcycle at the beginning. I heard it was supposed to be automatic, but the buttons do nothing except for Start to pause the game.

This has happened to me as well.
And I heard it has happened, to quite a bit of other people too.
Did you or anyone else, ever find a workaround for this strange glitch?

Tarnish
Prince of Persia

Post#8 » Mon Apr 22, 2019 4:52 pm

beanboy wrote:
SomeGuyWithASega wrote:@Aleron Ives I don't think they overwrite the existing icon files.

I had this problem too on a burnt copy. Tried a different image I think from Cool-Roms, that image didn't have this bug.

mistamontiel
Shark Patrol

Post#9 » Mon Apr 22, 2019 7:19 pm

Re-read opening post

lol VMU virus? No settings to change well I guess what is displayed you mean?

Yeh, then only homebrew can fix that. What the fuck devs

beanboy
Wazza

Post#10 » Tue Apr 23, 2019 7:20 pm

Tarnish wrote:
beanboy wrote:

I had this problem too on a burnt copy. Tried a different image I think from Cool-Roms, that image didn't have this bug.

Okay. I downloaded the one, from Cool-Roms. I'll check it out in a while.
Hopefully, this one doesn't have that strange bug. Thanks.