Any info on Unofficial Dreamcast Broadband Adapter In Development?

General Dreamcast discussion applies here. Before posting here please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section to see if your topic would fit better in those categories.

Moderators: pcwzrd13, mazonemayu

Forum rules
Please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section before posting here to see if your topic would fit better in those categories. Example: A new game/homebrew release would go in the New Releases/Homebrew/Emulation section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=5 or if you're having an issue with getting your Dreamcast to work or a game to boot it would go in the Support section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=42
RandySlim76
noob

Re: Any info on Unofficial Dreamcast Broadband Adapter In Development?

Post#11 » Wed Oct 11, 2017 11:31 am

Sonic1994DC wrote:
RandySlim76 wrote:Now I gotta look up what a DreamPi is.

It's the best thing ever! It bring's your Dreamcast alive again, you can play online again. 13 games are currently back online and 1 of them has there online features back "Sonic Adventure"

You can buy your own DreamPi kit here so you don't have to make it yourself, there are to models the standard kit has no wifi and the DreamPi kit 3 does that's why it cost more. http://www.dreamcastlive.net/shop.html
Thanks bud.....I am new to these here parts! I'm usually an original Xbox modded homie but I bought a Dreamcast the other day (which I haven't had one since my ex-wife lost it). Now I'm in Dreamcast world!!ImageImage

Sonic1994DC
Carnage

Post#12 » Tue Oct 17, 2017 12:45 pm

Thanks bud.....I am new to these here parts! I'm usually an original Xbox modded homie but I bought a Dreamcast the other day (which I haven't had one since my ex-wife lost it). Now I'm in Dreamcast world!!ImageImage[/quote]

No problem, Phantasy Star Online is the game to play if you bring your Dreamcast back online. I can help you with any questions you have

HuntrRose
Vagabond

Post#13 » Tue Oct 17, 2017 5:16 pm

you spelled pool wrong.. ;)

dreamcast ™
undertow

Post#14 » Wed Oct 18, 2017 12:39 am

I'm the creator of the Moband Adapter. The project isn't "ded," - it's on hiatus for the interim.

The only comparison that can be made between the Moband Adapter and DreamPI is that both transmit data between the Dreamcast and the internet, but on a technical level, Moband is MUCH more reliable / streamlined.

DreamPI is no different from the clumsy / cumbersome method the Dreamcast community has been using for years, all the way back to the initial Windows 98 guide. It still requires a PC modem of some sort / variety, possibly a line-level stabilizer, a computer, and various different software. The only difference is that the software configuration has been done for you, but under the hood (and to the DreamPI itself in some cases), it's a daisy-chained mess.

Moband is a Dreamcast modem emulator. Because the official modem is eliminated entirely, there is NO bottleneck of the analog / digital conversion required in modem -> modem communication. The Dreamcast speaks directly through the G2 bus to the Moband, which, in turn, speaks directly to the internet through its Ethernet port. Because the official modem doesn't operate at the full bit-width the broadband adapter does, it can't ever operate as fast as the broadband adapter, but it is still MUCH faster, and more reliable, than through the official modem.

From a usability standpoint, for the most part, Moband is plug-and-play (configuring the adapter is similar to configuring the official broadband adapter).

<tl/dr>Use a DreamPI for now - Sell it later for a Moband<tr/dr>

kazade
Developer

Post#15 » Wed Oct 18, 2017 8:29 am

dreamcast ™ wrote:DreamPI is no different from the clumsy / cumbersome method the Dreamcast community has been using for years, all the way back to the initial Windows 98 guide. It still requires a PC modem of some sort / variety, possibly a line-level stabilizer, a computer, and various different software. The only difference is that the software configuration has been done for you, but under the hood (and to the DreamPI itself in some cases), it's a daisy-chained mess.

To be fair, it is an improvement over the standard PC-DC server on the software side in that it has:

- Dial-tone generation
- Automatic call answering
- The Dreamcast Now! service
- Packet manipulation for some games to make them work
- Preconfigured DNS server stuff

Obviously the Moband approach is superior from a hardware perspective, but there will still be some games/features which won't work without some specific support though.

The-Amazing-Mr_V
Metallic

Post#16 » Wed Oct 18, 2017 1:06 pm

I found my dreampi to also be pretty much plug and play for the most part. And it just hides behind my dreamcast so you don't see it anyways.

I would like to see this project go into a production stage. Wether people like this or not I think it is awesome that homebrew hardware like this is even around and I would support this in a heartbeat.

Sonic1994DC
Carnage

Post#17 » Wed Oct 18, 2017 2:22 pm

dreamcast ™ wrote:I'm the creator of the Moband Adapter. The project isn't "ded," - it's on hiatus for the interim.

The only comparison that can be made between the Moband Adapter and DreamPI is that both transmit data between the Dreamcast and the internet, but on a technical level, Moband is MUCH more reliable / streamlined.

DreamPI is no different from the clumsy / cumbersome method the Dreamcast community has been using for years, all the way back to the initial Windows 98 guide. It still requires a PC modem of some sort / variety, possibly a line-level stabilizer, a computer, and various different software. The only difference is that the software configuration has been done for you, but under the hood (and to the DreamPI itself in some cases), it's a daisy-chained mess.

Moband is a Dreamcast modem emulator. Because the official modem is eliminated entirely, there is NO bottleneck of the analog / digital conversion required in modem -> modem communication. The Dreamcast speaks directly through the G2 bus to the Moband, which, in turn, speaks directly to the internet through its Ethernet port. Because the official modem doesn't operate at the full bit-width the broadband adapter does, it can't ever operate as fast as the broadband adapter, but it is still MUCH faster, and more reliable, than through the official modem.

From a usability standpoint, for the most part, Moband is plug-and-play (configuring the adapter is similar to configuring the official broadband adapter).

<tl/dr>Use a DreamPI for now - Sell it later for a Moband<tr/dr>

Great to get an official responds from the creator himself, hey maybe if I didn't say anything this would still be a wonder/ a mystery. I for one can't wait to try/buy this Moband adapter your making. Could I/we see a picture of the progress of the Moband or what it looks like now? Great to hear it's still happening :)

RandySlim76
noob

Post#18 » Wed Oct 18, 2017 5:55 pm

This is a great idea. I hope it gets made in a quality to show more developers to push and keep the Dreamcast alive. Hardware and software development is a must.

The-Amazing-Mr_V
Metallic

Post#19 » Wed Oct 18, 2017 7:17 pm

With 3d printing I'm sure there could be some cool cases for it as well. Make it fit nicely under the dreamcast?

mrneo240
Rank 9

Post#20 » Wed Oct 18, 2017 7:21 pm

How does this project differ from the Chinese projects of a similar nature ?

They built custom boards to directly interface with the G2 bus as well and use an off the shelf NIC.