[IDEA] DreamPi Setup Disk for Dreamcast

General Dreamcast discussion applies here. Before posting here please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section to see if your topic would fit better in those categories.

Moderators: pcwzrd13, mazonemayu

Forum rules
Please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section before posting here to see if your topic would fit better in those categories. Example: A new game/homebrew release would go in the New Releases/Homebrew/Emulation section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=5 or if you're having an issue with getting your Dreamcast to work or a game to boot it would go in the Support section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=42
Anonymouse
Outtrigger

[IDEA] DreamPi Setup Disk for Dreamcast

Post#1 » Fri Sep 29, 2017 9:12 am

Has anyone with the experience thought about making a DreamPi setup disk for the Dreamcast? When you insert the CD and press execute it changes all the Dreamcast network settings to be compatible with the DreamPi and all games? This would then standardise everyones settings.

This would make the process much simpler and quicker for new users. I consider myself to have a bit of know-how about technology and the Dreamcast but it took me a bit of research, posting on forums and burning numerous CDs in order to be able to play all the games. There is no single browser/disc that can change the settings to be compatible with all games. I originally thought my AFO CD was faulty until I found out that I had to use a copy of Evo 4x4 to alter my network settings.

What is everyone else's thoughts?
Dreamcast: Blue Swirl, 60hz, White LED, Removable battery holder, Internal SD card reader, BBA, DreamPi, RGB Scart

pcwzrd13
Seen Any Sailors?

Re: [IDEA] DreamPi Setup Disk for Dreamcast

Post#2 » Fri Sep 29, 2017 9:28 am

I've thought of this before and while it's a cool idea, it would likely be quite a bit of work to develop it. It's also not 100% necessary since there are tons of different options to configure the DC connection settings. It really all depends on if someone with the programming knowledge thinks it's worth it.

Anonymouse wrote:There is no single browser/disc that can change the settings to be compatible with all games.

Any version of PlanetWeb or "Web Browser" in addition to the custom XDP will work for all games. DreamKey is the only browser that won't work with all games. Not sure the exact reason but AFO never came out in Europe so it's not all that surprising that the settings configured with that don't translate over to AFO.
PSO Characters:
Teal'c - lvl 119 HUcast - GC# 11666
Alto - lvl 39 FOnewm - GC# 12964

YouTube Channel : Dreamcast Live

itsthinkingstill
Vagabond

Post#3 » Fri Sep 29, 2017 11:00 am

Im putting some dreampi instructions in my custom browser so that will do the same

Anonymouse
Outtrigger

Post#4 » Fri Sep 29, 2017 11:51 am

itsthinkingstill wrote:Im putting some dreampi instructions in my custom browser so that will do the same

Excellent. Will this be compatible with AFO?
Dreamcast: Blue Swirl, 60hz, White LED, Removable battery holder, Internal SD card reader, BBA, DreamPi, RGB Scart

itsthinkingstill
Vagabond

Post#5 » Fri Sep 29, 2017 12:02 pm

Anonymouse wrote:
itsthinkingstill wrote:Im putting some dreampi instructions in my custom browser so that will do the same

in what way?

Anonymouse
Outtrigger

Post#6 » Fri Sep 29, 2017 5:22 pm

itsthinkingstill wrote:
Anonymouse wrote:

in what way?

I had to use the 4x4 evo disk to setup Network settings for AFO eventhough I was able to play all other games online.

itsthinkingstill
Vagabond

Post#7 » Fri Sep 29, 2017 6:02 pm

then yes

yolk
noob

Post#8 » Tue Sep 24, 2019 12:51 am

if you're embedding it in a custom browser - that actually makes me think you're able to hook into some APIs on winCE to write to that space the modem uses?

I'm relatively new to the whole process and currently waiting on some parts for my voltage inducer before I get online myself. Just curious.

deluxux
Black Mesa

Post#9 » Tue Sep 24, 2019 1:05 am

IMO no need XDP Browser can do any setting you need.

DarkSynbios
DC-Talk Addict

Post#10 » Tue Sep 24, 2019 2:55 am

Yes its good idea so we can add extra feautures. My opinion is we need to find another solution about the hardware of Dreampi. What a want to say if someone have the knowledge to make a new board include : fax modem, ethernet, wifi, sd slot and mini hdmi. The all thing to become plug n play solution.