Dreamshell compatibility - SD v HDD

General Dreamcast discussion applies here. Before posting here please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section to see if your topic would fit better in those categories.

Moderators: pcwzrd13, mazonemayu

Forum rules
Please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section before posting here to see if your topic would fit better in those categories. Example: A new game/homebrew release would go in the New Releases/Homebrew/Emulation section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=5 or if you're having an issue with getting your Dreamcast to work or a game to boot it would go in the Support section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=42
dave_van_damn
Graffiti Grind

Dreamshell compatibility - SD v HDD

Post#1 » Wed Sep 27, 2017 4:06 am

So I recently found this list compiled by pcwzrd13 which lists Dreamcast games which are supposidly compatible with Dreamshell and the settings needed to run them:
[url]
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... edit#gid=0[/url]

Buttttt when I run GDI files from my SD card using the suggested settings they rarely boot. Is this because the SD card has different compatibility to the HDD?

Additionally, I've followed the steps in the guide to making .iso and they rarely boot either. I can download other people's .iso and play them with no problems.

Can someone advice me how to get the games on that list running from SD?
aka DavidHK on DC games.

pcwzrd13
Seen Any Sailors?

Re: Dreamshell compatibility - SD v HDD

Post#2 » Wed Sep 27, 2017 7:23 am

I assume you're using the serial port SD card reader? This list is compatibility for the IDE mod. The SD card reader has very low compatibility in comparison.

That being said, you can increase compatibility by optimizing the GDIs using the utility in the ISO Make Pack from here. Just copy the 'sys' folder and the 'optimize_gdi.bat' file to the same directory as the GDI, run 'optimize_gdi.bat' and wait for it to finish.
PSO Characters:
Teal'c - lvl 119 HUcast - GC# 11666
Alto - lvl 39 FOnewm - GC# 12964

YouTube Channel : Dreamcast Live

dave_van_damn
Graffiti Grind

Post#3 » Wed Sep 27, 2017 9:28 am

pcwzrd13 wrote:I assume you're using the serial port SD card reader? This list is compatibility for the IDE mod. The SD card reader has very low compatibility in comparison.

Yeah I am, that answers my question - thanks! What's the reason for low compatibility; is it because of the slow transfer speed?

pcwzrd13 wrote: That being said, you can increase compatibility by optimizing the GDIs using the utility in the ISO Make Pack from here. Just copy the 'sys' folder and the 'optimize_gdi.bat' file to the same directory as the GDI, run 'optimize_gdi.bat' and wait for it to finish.

Fantastic tip - thanks for that! 8-) :mrgreen: Edit: darn, didn't help, still can't get Midway Arcade Vol. 1 to boot! Thanks anyway.
Last edited by dave_van_damn on Wed Sep 27, 2017 9:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
aka DavidHK on DC games.

pcwzrd13
Seen Any Sailors?

Post#4 » Wed Sep 27, 2017 9:32 am

dave_van_damn wrote:What's the reason for low compatibility; is it because of the slow transfer speed?

Yup. There may be other reasons as well but that's the main one.
PSO Characters:
Teal'c - lvl 119 HUcast - GC# 11666
Alto - lvl 39 FOnewm - GC# 12964

YouTube Channel : Dreamcast Live