Custom PlanetWeb Browser [WIP]

General Dreamcast discussion applies here. Before posting here please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section to see if your topic would fit better in those categories.

Moderators: pcwzrd13, mazonemayu

Forum rules
Please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section before posting here to see if your topic would fit better in those categories. Example: A new game/homebrew release would go in the New Releases/Homebrew/Emulation section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=5 or if you're having an issue with getting your Dreamcast to work or a game to boot it would go in the Support section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=42
itsthinkingstill
Vagabond

Re: Custom PlanetWeb Browser [WIP]

Post#41 » Sun Oct 01, 2017 6:47 pm

Bob Dobbs wrote:Ok, I'm lost, what should I download and test. To note, I have three methods of connecting online.

Lol poor bob, use this link if you want internet explorer on the dc (only on board pages only for now) https://mega.nz/#!l59EiByS!FM4-Q2995_XB ... 5rUPC6PhWg

the link i gave was just for a modification for 3.0 as a test to see how the structuring works compared to the Saturn browser

mrneo240
Rank 9

Post#42 » Sun Oct 01, 2017 6:51 pm

Bob Dobbs wrote:Ok, I'm lost, what should I download and test. To note, I have three methods of connecting online.

mrneo240 wrote:I made something for ya. Well didn't make it but I put it together and will help make it better.

Idk why I do these things but anyway I did.
Link incoming for burnable/emulator image. New web browser that most people have never seen lol

edit:
links:
https://firedrop.com/cbd9296998949619466b954119ea068a
and
https://mega.nz/#!l59EiByS!FM4-Q2995_XB ... 5rUPC6PhWg

it will most likely crash if you are not setup correctly. but if you have used dreamplanet/planetweb you should be ok. maybe supports modem and bba.

good luck testing. it works in emulators. no images sorry.

If you're brave try it out, if you're really brave burn it to disc and try it. If not brave check the spoiler tag

show spoiler»

This post. Sorry it's confusion. Both are the same file. Just pick your preferred site to download

Bob Dobbs
Sub Genius

Post#43 » Sun Oct 01, 2017 9:39 pm

Downloading now...burning and testing upon completed download.
Regards,
Bob Dobbs

mrneo240
Rank 9

Post#44 » Sun Oct 01, 2017 9:53 pm

That's exciting to hear. Please only hit the A button. Fairly certain other buttons cause an instant crash but it might be only in emulators

Bob Dobbs
Sub Genius

Post#45 » Sun Oct 01, 2017 10:22 pm

Just a question, if PW 3.0 was running Mozilla 3.0, is it feasible to use a newer, android like version of it? Just asking, sorry if this is a bad question...
Last edited by Bob Dobbs on Sun Oct 01, 2017 10:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Regards,
Bob Dobbs

mrneo240
Rank 9

Post#46 » Sun Oct 01, 2017 10:28 pm

Bob Dobbs wrote:Just a question, if PW 3.0 was running Mozilla 3.0, is it feasible to use a newer, android like version of it? Just asking, sorry if this is a bad question...

Yes and no.

Possible: yes definitely
Feasible: no, probably not.

Basically you would start with old Mozilla source and then get it compile under katana. Then you would figure out the modem/BBA connection. Then you would need to write a basic mouse driver for the controller. Then wire it all up and check to make sure you don't run out of ram like PW3.0 does.

It's programming, damn near anything is possible. It's just a matter of how long.

Bob Dobbs
Sub Genius

Post#47 » Sun Oct 01, 2017 10:30 pm

This did not boot in either my white or black Dreamcasts (NTSC/U), it just hangs up at the Dreamcast logo, sorry.
Regards,
Bob Dobbs

mrneo240
Rank 9

Post#48 » Sun Oct 01, 2017 10:33 pm

That's so strange. Itsthinkingstill managed to get it to boot. I wonder how. I'll burn one in a minute when I get home and see what's up

WingMantis
dark night

Post#49 » Sun Oct 01, 2017 11:04 pm

mrneo240 wrote:
Bob Dobbs wrote:Just a question, if PW 3.0 was running Mozilla 3.0, is it feasible to use a newer, android like version of it? Just asking, sorry if this is a bad question...

Yes and no.

Possible: yes definitely
Feasible: no, probably not.

Basically you would start with old Mozilla source and then get it compile under katana. Then you would figure out the modem/BBA connection. Then you would need to write a basic mouse driver for the controller. Then wire it all up and check to make sure you don't run out of ram like PW3.0 does.

It's programming, damn near anything is possible. It's just a matter of how long.

EDIT: Sorry Bob, caught the wrong quote

As far as RAM issues, what about something like Opera Mini, or Puffin Browser? I think those both reduce data usage by serving processed web pages. Something like that may also enable newer versions of flash to work on dreamcast?

I originally bought Puffin Browser to try and circumvent Hulu's streaming/smart device lockout for the free content (was available through PC only. Now gone entirely I believe)

Bob Dobbs
Sub Genius

Post#50 » Sun Oct 01, 2017 11:13 pm

mrneo240 wrote:That's so strange. Itsthinkingstill managed to get it to boot. I wonder how. I'll burn one in a minute when I get home and see what's up

It is extremely rare I cannot burn a CD-R, so, I will download the other just to see if there is something different done to it on the download server end.
Regards,
Bob Dobbs