Custom PlanetWeb Browser [WIP]

General Dreamcast discussion applies here. Before posting here please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section to see if your topic would fit better in those categories.

Moderators: pcwzrd13, mazonemayu

Forum rules
Please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section before posting here to see if your topic would fit better in those categories. Example: A new game/homebrew release would go in the New Releases/Homebrew/Emulation section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=5 or if you're having an issue with getting your Dreamcast to work or a game to boot it would go in the Support section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=42
Bob Dobbs
Sub Genius

Re: Custom PlanetWeb Browser [WIP]

Post#31 » Sat Sep 30, 2017 12:55 am

I know someone else made a PW 3.0 Google edition. It was altered to go to google instead of the static homepage but it would crash to death. I just tried to connect with my GD-ROM PW 3.0 for giggles a few days ago...the result is what expected...no connect!
Regards,
Bob Dobbs

itsthinkingstill
Vagabond

Post#32 » Sat Sep 30, 2017 1:41 am

Yeah this is why i asked if people wanted 3.0 or 2.6. After reading more reviews of 3.0 from back on the day i have made the conclusion that Planet web rushed it to the market and that in terms of web browsing its useless. But it only crashes though it seems with web browsing so il try to make this more and a multimedia hub. If you guys want to do more web browsing i guess 2.6 would be the way to go.

mrneo240
Rank 9

Post#33 » Sun Oct 01, 2017 4:35 pm

I made something for ya. Well didn't make it but I put it together and will help make it better.

Idk why I do these things but anyway I did.
Link incoming for burnable/emulator image. New web browser that most people have never seen lol

edit:
links:
https://firedrop.com/cbd9296998949619466b954119ea068a
and
https://mega.nz/#!l59EiByS!FM4-Q2995_XB ... 5rUPC6PhWg

it will most likely crash if you are not setup correctly. but if you have used dreamplanet/planetweb you should be ok. maybe supports modem and bba.

good luck testing. it works in emulators. no images sorry.

If you're brave try it out, if you're really brave burn it to disc and try it. If not brave check the spoiler tag

show spoiler»

itsthinkingstill
Vagabond

Post#34 » Sun Oct 01, 2017 5:36 pm

Something tells me i just wasted a CD-r :D
Edit: Holy smokes you where not kidding :)
Last edited by itsthinkingstill on Sun Oct 01, 2017 5:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mrneo240
Rank 9

Post#35 » Sun Oct 01, 2017 5:38 pm

It boot in the emulators.

If you move the cursor to the home button and hit A it should load an archived copy of Dreamcast live that I downloaded earlier.

itsthinkingstill
Vagabond

Post#36 » Sun Oct 01, 2017 5:42 pm

NOW this is amazing :D
Loads up correctly but seems to crash alot on me, still amazing never in my life would i expect IE on the dc. I wonder if it works with AOL?

mrneo240
Rank 9

Post#37 » Sun Oct 01, 2017 5:56 pm

itsthinkingstill wrote:NOW this is amazing :D

Is it full screen? Because it looked to be like it was going to be in a small box, still figuring out resolution stuff too.

Fixes will be inbound. Still got more studying to do and a paper to write.

Yup glad it works for you on hardware. I'm still figuring out the whole WindowsCE thing on Dreamcast. I think I'm going to like it though.

The 3d stuff is way way easier too. I was playing with 3d cubes earlier whereas with the katana SDK I couldn't barely get a cube to draw on screen.

Back on topic though:
For the curious, I maybe added like 10 lines of code and changed some configuration. I didn't write this from scratch.

Now to actually make it look better and get it working better.

Edit: because people called me out last time: IP.bin tagged "Sega rally 2", WinCE image on splash screen missing, not dummied, extra files on the disc from earlier tests.

itsthinkingstill
Vagabond

Post#38 » Sun Oct 01, 2017 6:21 pm

Yep it if full screen, also when you have time could you test out this new web browser? redid 3 links to access stuff located on disk. One .sfd one.mp3 and one .htm
Just replace the folder with this new one thanks
http://www.mediafire.com/file/6ji8qeg4t ... ROWSER.zip

mrneo240
Rank 9

Post#39 » Sun Oct 01, 2017 6:32 pm

Yea happily. Ill post the cdi here after. I'm still reading how to make my patcher application work. I just need an easy way to edit a large file in place without making a whole new copy.

Bob Dobbs
Sub Genius

Post#40 » Sun Oct 01, 2017 6:40 pm

Ok, I'm lost, what should I download and test. To note, I have three methods of connecting online.
Regards,
Bob Dobbs