Sega Forever

General Dreamcast discussion applies here. Before posting here please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section to see if your topic would fit better in those categories.

Moderators: pcwzrd13, mazonemayu

Forum rules
Please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section before posting here to see if your topic would fit better in those categories. Example: A new game/homebrew release would go in the New Releases/Homebrew/Emulation section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=5 or if you're having an issue with getting your Dreamcast to work or a game to boot it would go in the Support section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=42
itsthinkingstill
Vagabond

Sega Forever

Post#1 » Wed Jun 21, 2017 1:10 pm

A new service announced today, info from Segabits. While im not really a mobile gamer it has been said if this is successful then consoles are a possibility

SEGA Forever has officially been revealed, the service has been a mystery to fans since it was leaked a while back as it was being tested. We even did a SEGA News Bits on SEGA Forever (expect a follow up one now that the product has been fully detailed) on what the service could be. But what is it? According to the press release, which you can read in full after the break, SEGA Forever is a mobile name for classic SEGA re-releases on both Android and iPhone. Prior to this, a rumor came around that it was supposed to be ‘a subscription service’, but this press release says you get the option to play either free, ad supported version of the game or unlock it forever (SEGA Forever) for $1.99.

They promise to cover the following SEGA consoles:

SG-1000
Master System
Genesis/Mega Drive
Game Gear
SEGA Saturn
Dreamcast

The service will launch on June 22nd with the following five games, new releases every couple of weeks:

Sonic the Hedgehog
Altered Beast
Phantasy Star II
Comix Zone
Kid Chameleon

The press release also goes into the fact that the games will support leaderboards, cloud saves, offline play, controller support, community news feed, and a ton of languages for menus. So the real question is, what is you opinion on SEGA Forever? Is this what you expected, another re-branding service for retro SEGA re-releases?

SEGA Forever offers retro gaming fans an ever-expanding collection of
classic SEGA games, available
free-to-play on mobile platforms. Each game is available for download as an individual ad-supported title, with the option to remove all ads via in-app purchase for $1.99 (regardless of original console generation).
SEGA Forever allows you to create your ultimate retro gaming playlist. Unlike previously released classic game collections, fans can set up a dedicated folder of favorites on their mobile device and curate a personal collection of retro games chosen from titles spanning two decades of SEGA history. The upcoming lineup will include games from all console eras, including:

SG-1000
Master System
Genesis/Mega Drive
Game Gear
SEGA Saturn
Dreamcast

First five games launch June 22, followed by new releases, each as a standalone app*, every couple of weeks:

Sonic The Hedgehog
Altered Beast
Phantasy Star II
Comix Zone
Kid Chameleon

Added features within SEGA Forever games:

Leaderboards
Cloud Saves
Offline Play
Controller Support
Community News Feed
SEGA Forever menu screen languages in English, French,Italian, German, Spanish, Russian and Brazilian Portuguese

Platforms supported:

iOS & Android (at launch June 22)

Availability:

Worldwide (excluding Japan, Mainland China, and North Korea)

Social channel links:

Twitter
Facebook
Instagram

HuntrRose
Vagabond

Re: Sega Forever

Post#2 » Wed Jun 21, 2017 2:09 pm

wow.. ill put it on my tablet and give it a go.. guess i need to get a bluetooth controller now as well..

OGDCFAN99
Arabian Night

Post#3 » Thu Jun 22, 2017 2:45 pm

If they are able to develop a Saturn emulator that actually works at full speed, think of the possibilities.........

Kurasiu
fire

Post#4 » Fri Jun 23, 2017 4:53 am

I tried several games yesterday, as there were mixed opinions about the service, the biggest complain being unstable framerate. Downloaded Sonic 1, Phantasy Star II and Comix Zone, and gave it a go. Sonic 1 is the Taxman's port, so no problems with this one. PSII and CZ are running on Unity wrapper, but they aren't giving me any problems on nVidia Shield (full speed with sound), though I imagine people with lower-spec phones/tablets might get noticeable FPS hiccups, it's Unity after all.
The only real problem I stumbled upon is the controller support. I tried two different controllers via OTG, but none of them worked correctly - neither the analog, nor the d-pad worked in-game... anybody played the classics from Sega Forever with a controller?

OatBob
BFG-10K

Post#5 » Fri Jun 23, 2017 4:49 pm

At first I was disappointed with the on-screen controls, so I purchased an on-the-go (OTG) cable. This is basically a dongle for android that allows you to connect a USB gamepad. The games are supposed to have a handful of compatible controllers, but the one I can verify is the Xbox 360 wired controller. More specifically, the MadCatz Fightpad. It's a six-button controller like the Saturn gamepad, and I am pleased with the games input perfomance with a physical gamepad so far.

Anyways, these games are hard as they ever were, and my patience is less. So, I have taken to youtube and have learned some of the tricks to remove some of the trial-and-error
shinjitsunayu.me/ - web content for DC.

HuntrRose
Vagabond

Post#6 » Fri Jun 23, 2017 5:06 pm

I've only played comix zone so far and it seems to be working fine on my Droid tablet with the onscreen controlls..

Tarnish
Prince of Persia

Post#7 » Sat Jun 24, 2017 10:32 am

So I assume the guessing game can begin regarding which Dreamcast games they might bring on this 'service'.

Since this is likely gonna be 1st party only games, the selection is already narrowed down quite a bit.

These are my assumptions on what games they are NOT gonna port/emulate:
-Propeller Arena: since it never was officially released in the first place, technically it would make no sense now
-Shenmue 1-2: would be probably a big task, and with all the rumors about Shenmue HD, I doubt they would do a port of it for this service as well (unless they're just gonna emulate it)
-Alien Front Online: since this game pretty much requires the use of the triggers to be fully playable/enjoyable, I don't think they would deem it worthy of the effort (I know you could use controllers, but with the native touchscreen I don't see this being playable)
-ChuChu Rocket: I guess the puzzles part could work, but either the multiplayer would be dropped, or you'd obscure the screen with your hand/finger every time you place an arrow which is not too optimal in this fast paced game
-Daytona 2001: they already did a Daytona port in 2011 so I don't think they have this high on their priority list, but we'll see

Dreamcast_Ninja
dark night

Post#8 » Wed Jun 28, 2017 1:50 am

Don't get them they suck ass big time these games aren't meant for mobile phones and tablets just stick to the consoles they're on.